• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

Philosophy is the love of knowledge, or the declaration of knowledge. Modern philosophers have attempted to shape it into a search for knowledge, but this is not the case. A philosophy is a stance one takes when looking at the world, this is what it meant in the Greek and also what it meant for almost 2,000 years until philosophers began to shift what it means. Thus, under the real definition, if you are declaring something absolute and that we have to follow, you are following a certain philosophy.

As I stated earlier, we know Christian faith can correctly be defined as a philosophy. While Christian faith can be defined in the limited term as a

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Philosophy is the love of knowledge, or the declaration of knowledge. Modern philosophers have attempted to shape it into a search for knowledge, but this is not the case. A philosophy is a stance one takes when looking at the world, this is what it meant in the Greek and also what it meant for almost 2,000 years until philosophers began to shift what it means. Thus, under the real definition, if you are declaring something absolute and that we have to follow, you are following a certain philosophy.

As I stated earlier, we know Christian faith can correctly be defined as a philosophy. While Christian faith can be defined in the limited term as a

APOSTASY ALERT...Jackie Alnor-may 27,2006-Moriel Ministries/email alert.

there is a new term being brandished against those in the church called as watchmen. it used to be "heresy hunters", but now we're being called "neo-pharisees". the former label was made popular by TBN'S, Paul Crouch, against those who exposed the false doctrines of TBN regulars who taught the positive confessional/word faith teachings they utilized to get the viewers to pay them for God's favors.

the new term is courtesy of the emerging church using such demogogy against anyone who dares to point out the occult/mystical roots of contemplatative prayer and iconology.

Naturally, those who are for a watered down anything goes church are going to attack those who are obedient to the scriptures.

Jude 1:3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus warned the church in Thyatira for allowing a leaven in their church from going unchallenged.

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

Revelation 2:19-20 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Today there are those who tolerate almost anything in the churches such as Occult practices and unbiblical rituals etc.

Anyone who points these things out is going to be attacked by those who want worldly practices in the church to make it more "seeker friendly".

These problems are nothing new but they are getting progressively worse.

Here is what one preacher who lived and preached from the mid 1800's to the begining of the 1900's wrote in his day.

FEEDING SHEEP OR AMUSING GOATS ?

C. H. Spurgeon

An evil is in the professed camp of the Lord, so gross in its impudence, that the most short-sighted can hardly fail to notice it. During the past few years it has developed at an abnormal rate, even for evil It has worked like leaven until the whole lump ferments. The devil has seldom done a cleverer thing than hinting to the Church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the people, with a view to winning them. From speaking out as the Puritans did, the Church has gradually toned down her testimony, then winked at and excused the frivolities of the day. Then she tolerated them in her borders. Now she has adopted them under the plea of reaching the masses.

My first contention is that providing amusement for the people is nowhere spoken of in the Scriptures as a function of the Church. If it is a Christian work why did not Christ speak of it? "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." That is clear enough. So it would have been if he had added, and provide amusement for those who do not relish the gospel. No such words, however, are to be found. It did not seem to occur to him. Then again, "He gave some apostles, some prophets, some pastors and teachers, for the work of the ministry." Where do entertainers come in? The Holy Spirit is silent concerning them. Were the prophets persecuted because they amused the people or because they refused? The concert has no martyr roll.

Again, providing amusement is in direct antagonism to the teaching and life of Christ and all His apostles. What was the attitude of the Church to the world? "Ye are the salt," not the sugar candy, something the world will spit out, not swallow. Short and sharp was the utterance, "Let the dead bury their dead." He was in awful earnestness!

Had Christ introduced more of the bright and pleasant elements into his mission, he would have been more popular when they went back, because of the searching nature of his teaching. I do not hear him say, Run after these people, Peter, and tell them we will have a different style of service tomorrow, something short and attractive with little preaching. We will have a pleasant evening for the people. Tell them they will be sure to enjoy it. Be quick, Peter, we must get the people somehow? Jesus pitied sinners, sighed and wept over them, but never sought to amuse them. In vain will the Epistles be searched to find any trace of the gospel of amusement. Their message is, Come out, keep out, keep clean out! Anything approaching fooling is conspicuous by its absence. They had boundless confidence in the gospel and employed no other weapon. After Peter and John were locked up for preaching, the Church had a prayer meeting, but they did not pray, Lord grant unto thy servants that by a wise and discriminating use of innocent recreation we may show these people how happy we are. If they ceased not for preaching Christ, they had not time for arranging entertainments. Scattered by persecution, they went everywhere preaching the gospel. They turned the world upside down; that is the only difference! Lord, clear the Church of all the rot and rubbish the devil has imposed on her and bring us back to apostolic methods.

The need of the hour for today's ministry is believing scholarship joined with earnest spirituality, the one springing from the other as fruit from the root. The need is biblical doctrine, so understood and felt, that it sets men on fire.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,092
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

. . . Trying to label Christianity as a philosophy or having philosophical concepts does not diminish it at all. It makes it a legitimate competing worldview...the only one that not only makes a claim to absolute truth, but can validate it.

NO! The other philosophies are competing with Christianity . . . which does not compete . . . because it is Truth.

It is legitimate because it is birthed of God in the beginning before ever the world was.

All other philosophies are bastard conceptions competing for legitimacy.

APOSTASY ALERT...Jackie Alnor-may 27,2006-Moriel Ministries/email alert.

there is a new term being brandished against those in the church called as watchmen. it used to be "heresy hunters", but now we're being called "neo-pharisees". the former label was made popular by TBN'S, Paul Crouch, against those who exposed the false doctrines of TBN regulars who taught the positive confessional/word faith teachings they utilized to get the viewers to pay them for God's favors.

the new term is courtesy of the emerging church using such demogogy against anyone who dares to point out the occult/mystical roots of contemplatative prayer and iconology.

Naturally, those who are for a watered down anything goes church are going to attack those who are obedient to the scriptures.

Jude 1:3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus warned the church in Thyatira for allowing a leaven in their church from going unchallenged.

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;

Revelation 2:19-20 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Today there are those who tolerate almost anything in the churches such as Occult practices and unbiblical rituals etc.

Anyone who points these things out is going to be attacked by those who want worldly practices in the church to make it more "seeker friendly".

Amen.

These problems are nothing new but they are getting progressively worse.

Here is what one preacher who lived and preached from the mid 1800's to the begining of the 1900's wrote in his day.

FEEDING SHEEP OR AMUSING GOATS ?

C. H. Spurgeon

An evil is in the professed camp of the Lord, so gross in its impudence, that the most short-sighted can hardly fail to notice it. During the past few years it has developed at an abnormal rate, even for evil It has worked like leaven until the whole lump ferments. The devil has seldom done a cleverer thing than hinting to the Church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the people, with a view to winning them. From speaking out as the Puritans did, the Church has gradually toned down her testimony, then winked at and excused the frivolities of the day. Then she tolerated them in her borders. Now she has adopted them under the plea of reaching the masses.

My first contention is that providing amusement for the people is nowhere spoken of in the Scriptures as a function of the Church. If it is a Christian work why did not Christ speak of it? "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." That is clear enough. So it would have been if he had added, and provide amusement for those who do not relish the gospel. No such words, however, are to be found. It did not seem to occur to him. Then again, "He gave some apostles, some prophets, some pastors and teachers, for the work of the ministry." Where do entertainers come in? The Holy Spirit is silent concerning them. Were the prophets persecuted because they amused the people or because they refused? The concert has no martyr roll.

Again, providing amusement is in direct antagonism to the teaching and life of Christ and all His apostles. What was the attitude of the Church to the world? "Ye are the salt," not the sugar candy, something the world will spit out, not swallow. Short and sharp was the utterance, "Let the dead bury their dead." He was in awful earnestness!

Had Christ introduced more of the bright and pleasant elements into his mission, he would have been more popular when they went back, because of the searching nature of his teaching. I do not hear him say, Run after these people, Peter, and tell them we will have a different style of service tomorrow, something short and attractive with little preaching. We will have a pleasant evening for the people. Tell them they will be sure to enjoy it. Be quick, Peter, we must get the people somehow? Jesus pitied sinners, sighed and wept over them, but never sought to amuse them. In vain will the Epistles be searched to find any trace of the gospel of amusement. Their message is, Come out, keep out, keep clean out! Anything approaching fooling is conspicuous by its absence. They had boundless confidence in the gospel and employed no other weapon. After Peter and John were locked up for preaching, the Church had a prayer meeting, but they did not pray, Lord grant unto thy servants that by a wise and discriminating use of innocent recreation we may show these people how happy we are. If they ceased not for preaching Christ, they had not time for arranging entertainments. Scattered by persecution, they went everywhere preaching the gospel. They turned the world upside down; that is the only difference! Lord, clear the Church of all the rot and rubbish the devil has imposed on her and bring us back to apostolic methods.

The need of the hour for today's ministry is believing scholarship joined with earnest spirituality, the one springing from the other as fruit from the root. The need is biblical doctrine, so understood and felt, that it sets men on fire.

This brought to rememberance an old message by David Wilkerson called "Pillow Prophets."

Thought I would share the link . . . :th_praying:

please be careful as to what words you are using here.... 'wink' (words I enjoy myself.....meditation, contemplation, philosophy, reasoning, words written upon tablets of flesh................words I don't enjoy.....literalism (I just made that one up), religion, letter of law, and hate.

We do need to be careful in the use of words.

Words like love and hate we need to examine in the context in which they are written.

We also have to be careful to take the time to understand where people are coming from when in their use of words.

Words of Jesus

Revelation 2:6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

In the Psalms:

Psalms 97:10 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

Psalms 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Psalms 119:104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

There are people that love evil.

They love drugs.

They love illicit sex.

They love to steal.

They love hurting others.

We also need to be careful not to ignore the literal meaning of the bible when it is in conflict with our own philosophies.

Those who hate people that point out false doctrines or evil practices in the church "love" to point to certain scriptures to silence them. They only use "literalism" when it suits their purposes.

I agree we definitely need to be careful when using words.

Edited by Rober H

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Not all philosophy is man's philosophy. Again, the idea that we should rely on God IS a philosophy.

That sounds like philosophy. :emot-highfive:

The idea that we should rely on God is an absolute divine truth.

Which is a philosophical concept :laugh:

please be careful as to what words you are using here.... :24: 'wink' (words I enjoy myself.....meditation, contemplation, philosophy, reasoning, words written upon tablets of flesh................words I don't enjoy.....literalism (I just made that one up), religion, letter of law, and hate.

Why are any of those words wrong, especially contemplation, philosophy, and reasoning? Explain to me how they are "tablets of flesh" when they are commanded for us to learn by God.

Not all philosophy is man's philosophy. Again, the idea that we should rely on God IS a philosophy.

That sounds like philosophy. :laugh:

The idea that we should rely on God is an absolute divine truth.

Which is a philosophical concept :24:

please be careful as to what words you are using here.... :24: 'wink' (words I enjoy myself.....meditation, contemplation, philosophy, reasoning, words written upon tablets of flesh................words I don't enjoy.....literalism (I just made that one up), religion, letter of law, and hate.

Why are any of those words wrong, especially contemplation, philosophy, and reasoning? Explain to me how they are "tablets of flesh" when they are commanded for us to learn by God.

Just my two cents but I think we should at least attempt to tie all this in with the topic. How did this become a thread based on word definitions alone?

What about people that want to warn the church about bad doctrine being called "neo-pharisees"?

Just wondering... :emot-highfive:

Edited by Rober H