CellShade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

Undone - The nature of the beast of message boards is they often end up as just fighting grounds and most of the time it's just one person trying to convince another when neither enters the discussion willing to listen.

However, in real life, I've witnessed many conversions. The difference is - the person witnesses a life in service and are mentored. That's just my take on it. Of course, I'm sure people have turned to Christ on message boards, I just haven't seen much of it. In fact, I'm willing to bet that there are lurkers at this site (past and present) who have chosen salvation or at least have had the seed planted because of simpling reading this site.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

A question for everyone here:

In the collective experience of all involved with this board, have any of you seen a Christian renounce his faith or an unbeliever converted through the discussions in a forum like this?

I'm seriously asking this question. I realize there may be things that happen without our knowledge including lurkers who are curious but never post. I ask because I've only been involved with Christian discussion forums for about a month and half. I personally have never seen it. It would be interesting to hear of a report like this.

How about this - Have any of you witnessed an athiest willfully conceding a debate?(I also realize this may be true for Christians too) I have not in my short time in internet forums. I suppose a Christians purpose for engaging would be the hope of planting a seed of truth that wouldn't be there otherwise and possibly enlightening a lurker who may be waivering.

I will say this - Up to this point, I have never witnessed an unbeliever who came to a Christian forum that I actually sensed a desire to genuinely find God through a discussion of biblical truths. Unless I was tainted in my perception, I've always sensed a desire to discredit what we believe to be true. I guess I ask so someone may tell me that they've experienced something other than that.

I have seem some misunderstandings of a position of either side cleared up so there is definately value there.

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, just curious....

Sadly your perceptions are accurate. They attack....we defend. Most come not seeking Christ but to "debate" (Latin for argue :emot-highfive: ) with Christians. My point of contention is that I don't like the open diminution and degrading of Christ allowed under the guise of "openess" and "intellectual growth".

Our instruction was clear:

2John 1:9-11

9 Everyone transgressing and not abiding in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son.

10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house, nor speak a greeting to him.

11 For he who speaks a greeting to him is partaker of his evil deeds.

?????????????

Blessings

-CC-

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

Let's not forget this forum is called apologetics.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Hi CellShade,

"Like it or not, one day you will bow down and confess Jesus is God, so you better do it now so you don't have to do it when it will be no good to you. (Judgement Day)"

While I believe in God, and Jesus, I don't believe in judgment day (let alone Hell), nor do I believe Jesus wants nor desires worship, but wants us to see God within each of us (as in Love your neighbor as yourself).

"God loves you, like it or not, He has patience but you have to act quick,you never know when it's gonna be too late :emot-highfive: ."

Too late? Why would a loving God not bring all His children home when our time here is done?

If there is no hell and literally no consequence in the afterlife, what does it matter how I live? If there is no consequence, then why did Jesus come to earth to die? If you do not believe He died, then why did He come to teach us? Why did God create us, especially if He knew we would kill each other?

Your theory, though it might feel good and provide a warm feeling concerning the afterlife, leaves so many logical questions that someone who is intellectually honest with himself cannot possibly believe what you are teaching.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Let's not forget this forum is called apologetics.

CS Lewis,

Please expand on your point. Is apologetics meant for the believer or the unbeliever? Again, a genuine question. I'm searching for purpose here. Part of the reason is that I feel compelled to participate. I can't walk away from the opportunity to testify to the truth. It seems a little frustrating because I know that many Christians have spent years to obtain the level of knowledge they have. I know for me it's been over 20 years. It seems impossible to convey 20 years of seeking, praying, experiencing, listening, reading, meditating, dreaming, and failing (still not all-inclusive) within a few paragraphs.

I think part of the problem is that most (not all) Christians believed first, then sought out the details through what I described above. The unbelievers I've encountered online seem to want all the details first, then believe. We know that scripture says that God resists the proud, but shows favor to the humble. If we are trying to educate an unbeliever biblical and spiritual truths, is it realistic to think they will be willing to cast aside their pride?

We also know that the bible is a spiritual document and that its message is spiritually discerned. Without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in their lives, is it unrealistic to expect results? We know that it is the Holy Spirit that draws a person into faith. We also know the bible says that the gospel message is foolishness to those who are perishing.

I suppose I could believe that these people aren't here by their choice as they may believe. Would anybody really have that much of an axe to grind that they would subject themselves to this much conviction of their error? I guess I'm holding on to that hope.

I'm personally not concerned about my own faith being tested here. And as far as the above passage concerning 'not extending a greeting' may be countered by the fact that my intention is to solely testify to the truth. Not to seek the wisdom of the wicked. Where is that balance? It's like my signature says, when are you at the point of casting pearls to the swine?

I'd appreciate yours and/or another Christians thoughts....I think this is still within the topic of the thread. If not, I apologize.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hi Chou,

"i got a question... what are atheists doing on a christian bulletinboard? :wub:"

Giving you another perspective on God and the universe? Testing your faith? Making you think and ask questions about your faith? Mixing things up so you don't stand still in your belief, but work on it constantly?

These are good things. We should always question what we think and feel. You may just find your faith gains strength as you debate others about what you believe--even other Christians or theists.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6

A question for everyone here:

In the collective experience of all involved with this board, have any of you seen a Christian renounce his faith or an unbeliever converted through the discussions in a forum like this?

No, but I've seen it help someone that was questioning one way or another.

I'm seriously asking this question. I realize there may be things that happen without our knowledge including lurkers who are curious but never post. I ask because I've only been involved with Christian discussion forums for about a month and half. I personally have never seen it. It would be interesting to hear of a report like this.

How about this - Have any of you witnessed an athiest willfully conceding a debate?(I also realize this may be true for Christians too)

Yes. In both directions. Rarely beliefs though. Most people won't conceed that their beliefs are incorrect, but I have seen people conceed arguments.

I will say this - Up to this point, I have never witnessed an unbeliever who came to a Christian forum that I actually sensed a desire to genuinely find God through a discussion of biblical truths. Unless I was tainted in my perception, I've always sensed a desire to discredit what we believe to be true. I guess I ask so someone may tell me that they've experienced something other than that.
I think is comes from the differences of opinion. I don't actively set out to discredit what Christians believe, I usually set out to explain why I don't believe. The result is that I talk about why I don't believe in Christianity and why I see it to be false.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6

Sadly your perceptions are accurate. They attack....we defend. Most come not seeking Christ but to "debate" (Latin for argue :emot-hug: ) with Christians. My point of contention is that I don't like the open diminution and degrading of Christ allowed under the guise of "openess" and "intellectual growth".
We don't always attack. We have boards of our own where Christians come to debate us, and in that sense, attack us.

It's simply a matter of perspective, usually.

Best wishes,

ST

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I am ok to be in a discussion with atheist as long as they are respectful to our believings and not attack us and rather just show their point of view, aswell I like if they do keep an open mind to the things said rather then see something that is true and just omit it out of their mind and continue on without making notice of something they didn't know, and know it's truth but rather they don't want to ackowledge that they were wrong in some of their views :emot-hug:

Besides my duty as a christian is not make them fight christianity but, rather make them know christianity and Jesus :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

And likewise, the atheists deserve respect as well. Provided they are not here to be contentious. We were all once lost. Thankfully, someone showed me respect while tactfully showing me the error of my ways. Anyone who showed me disdain and disrespect lost me from the first word.

Christ died for the atheist as well. :emot-hug: