• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Galatians 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

All the Jewish believers did was add "keeping the law" of Moses to the gospel and by doing that corrupted it making it "another gospel".

If adding the law which God gave Moses on the mountain can place a person under a curse what will man-made laws being added to the gospel do to it?

These Jews believed that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that He was buried and rose again from the dead. They added to the gospel and made it another.

See Acts 15.

Acts 15:1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

Adding the law, sacraments, works, circumscision or anything other than grace to the gospel perverts it and corrupts it and places those who promote or preach such a thing under God's curse.

There is a movement in the church today to "join hands" with cults and organizations to bring the world to Christ.

This movement is called the "ecumenical movement".

There are many aspects to this movement and it takes many different forms and shapes. The movement promotes putting aside doctrinal differences and beliefs and getting together for the purpose of creating a united front for peace and unity.

Within "Christendom" this movement means winning the world over to Christ without regard to doctrine. It is a movement in which so called Christian religions share Christ with a unified front even if they cannot agree on exactly what the gospel is.

I maintain that this movement is not of God but from the flesh and the Devil.

I believe that true gospel believeing Christians who place the scriptures above the world should shun this movement and speak against it and those who promote it.

Should those who believe the Gospel of grace given to us by Jesus Christ unite with those who have added to the gospel?

What do you think?

At the same time, what one person would call error, another person believes to be truth.

We need to get to what the true gospel is.

Adding sacraments or man made laws to the gospel will not save us only the pure undefiled gospel will.

For instance this infamous pope added to the gospel.

UNAM SANCTAM

Bull of Pope Boniface VIII promulgated November 18, 1302

URGED BY FAITH, WE ARE OBLIGED TO BELIEVE AND TO MAINTAIN THAT THE CHURCH IS ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, AND ALSO APOSTOLIC. WE BELIEVE IN HER FIRMLY AND WE CONFESS WITH SIMPLICITY THAT OUTSIDE OF HER THERE IS NEITHER SALVATION NOR THE REMISSION OF SINS,...

FURTHERMORE, WE DECLARE, WE PROCLAIM, WE DEFINE THAT IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY FOR SALVATION THAT EVERY HUMAN CREATURE BE SUBJECT TO THE ROMAN PONTIFF.

Contrast this with the true gospel. Notice that being subject to the tyrant of Rome is not part of what saves us.

1Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Does anyone see the Pope's name mentioned in the following verses?

Acts 4:10-12 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the NAME OF JESUS, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, [even] by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 NEITHER IS THERE SALVATION IN ANY OTHER: FOR THERE IS NONE OTHER NAME UNDER HEAVEN GIVEN AMONG MEN, WHEREBY WE MUST BE SAVED.

Should bible believing Christians unite in sharing the gospel with those who promote "another gospel" which is not another?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I agree that the ecumenical movement has severely misplaced priorities. Its "peace at any cost" ignores the importance of doctrine and thus gives a plethora of cultists the opportunity to assemble under the Christian banner while denying several doctrines of the historic Christian faith.

At the same time, there's a danger in become too myopic. I know of one Christian in the United States who anaethematizes everyone who is not a member of the Duck River Baptist Confession (??), thus reducing the body of Christ to maybe 3000 people on the Eastern seaboard.

I will enjoy fellowship with anyone who affirms the absoluteness of justification by faith and all the doctrines that support it (diety of Christ, resurrection, his sinlessness, etc...)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

At the same time, what one person would call error, another person believes to be truth.

We need to get to what the true gospel is.

Adding sacraments or man made laws to the gospel will not save us only the pure undefiled gospel will.

For instance this infamous pope added to the gospel.

UNAM SANCTAM

Bull of Pope Boniface VIII promulgated November 18, 1302

URGED BY FAITH, WE ARE OBLIGED TO BELIEVE AND TO MAINTAIN THAT THE CHURCH IS ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, AND ALSO APOSTOLIC. WE BELIEVE IN HER FIRMLY AND WE CONFESS WITH SIMPLICITY THAT OUTSIDE OF HER THERE IS NEITHER SALVATION NOR THE REMISSION OF SINS,...

FURTHERMORE, WE DECLARE, WE PROCLAIM, WE DEFINE THAT IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY FOR SALVATION THAT EVERY HUMAN CREATURE BE SUBJECT TO THE ROMAN PONTIFF.

Should bible believing Christians unite in sharing the gospel with those who promote "another gospel" which is not another?

Did you realize that a Papal Bull is non-binding on Roman Catholics? A Bull is simply stating 'This is THIS Pope's opinion on THIS subject.' It has NEVER been official Roman Catholic salvation Doctrine that Christians must be subject to the Pope.

Edited by Ovedya

I agree that the ecumenical movement has severely misplaced priorities. Its "peace at any cost" ignores the importance of doctrine and thus gives a plethora of cultists the opportunity to assemble under the Christian banner while denying several doctrines of the historic Christian faith.

At the same time, there's a danger in become too myopic. I know of one Christian in the United States who anaethematizes everyone who is not a member of the Duck River Baptist Confession (??), thus reducing the body of Christ to maybe 3000 people on the Eastern seaboard.

I will enjoy fellowship with anyone who affirms the absoluteness of justification by faith and all the doctrines that support it (diety of Christ, resurrection, his sinlessness, etc...)

Good points. I call anyone who believes the gospel a brother or sister if they believe the basic tenants of the Christian faith too.

I am not a Charismatic or a Pentecostal but I believe most of them are my brothers and sisters in Christ. I am not a Roman Catholic (I am an ex-Catholic) but I believe it is possible for a Catholic to be saved in spite of their churches false teachings.

I will not evangelize with Roman Catholics because Rome has "another gospel which is not another". Rome has added a long list of laws to be saved and for me to put these teachings aside for the sake of unity would be wrong.

I will not witness nor fellowship with Mormon's or many other groups that claim to be Christian.

Being a member of a particular denomination will certainly not save us.

I don't care if a person is a Baptist, a Luthern or goes to a Calvary Chapel if they don't believe the pure undefiled gospel they are not saved.

Ecumenism leads to Universalism and in my opinion is setting up the world for the coming one world religion of the anti-christ.

Let Us Reason Ministries

http://www.letusreason.org/Current34.htm

Arch-bishop of Canterbury, Sir Robert Runcie believes that all religions should try to come to ether into a great ecumenical religion. The only ones not welcome are those who look for the Second Coming. According to Runcie,

Leonard writes:

Did you realize that a Papal Bull is non-binding on Roman Catholics? A Bull is simply stating 'This is THIS Pope's opinion on THIS subject.' It has NEVER been official Roman Catholic salvation Doctrine that Christians must be subject to the Pope.

Vatican Council II printed by Costello Publishing Co., Northport, New York. Austin Flannery, O. P., is the general editor and each volume contains the Nihil Obstat and the Imprimatur. The editions are: 1984 (Vol. 1) and 1982 (Vol. 2).

Vatican II

"We believe in the infallibility enjoyed by the Successor of Peter when he speaks ex cathedra as shepherd and teacher of all the faithful, an infallibility which the whole Episcopate also enjoys when it exercises with him the supreme magisterium." (Vol. 2, p. 392)

"This loyal submission of the will and intellect must be given, in a special way, to the authentic teaching authority of the Roman Pontiff, even when he does not speak ex cathedra in such wise, indeed, that his supreme teaching authority be acknowledged with respect, and that one sincerely adhere to decisions made by him, conformably with his manifest mind and intention ...." (Vol. 1, p. 379)

"Basing itself on scripture and tradition, it teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and baptism (cf. Mk. 16:16; Jn. 3:5), and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through baptism as through a door. Hence, they could not be saved who knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it, or to remain in it." (Vol. 1, pp. 365 and 366) Vatican II

It certainly would appear that the above quotes teach salvation through and in the church rather than Christ.

This next quote from the Council of Trent is an example of "adding to the gospel" which makes it "another gospel which is not another".

Council of Trent

"If anyone says that the sacraments of the New Law are not necessary for salvation but are superfluous, and that without them or without the desire of them men obtain from God through faith alone the grace of justification, though all are not necessary for each one, let him be anathema." (ibid., p. 52 -- Seventh Session, Sacraments In General, Canon 4)

There are many things which can "pervert the gospel of Christ". This is but one.

Paul was so emphatic on warning the church he repeated it twice.

Galatians 1:8-9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Rober H quote:

"Contrast this with the true gospel."

SW:

Aside from the Catholic bashing that will result from your post, Rober, would you agree that salvation ultimately does not occur apart from Christ's church? While I would agree that membership in the Roman church is not a requirement for salvation, I would take issue with those who reject Christ's church because I think rejection of that is also a rejection of Christ himself. It is through the church that we hear the gospel of forgiveness of sins and receive that grace through Word and Sacrament. Those who have abandoned the church have abandoned the vine from which flows life. I think if we put that warning from the Roman church (the only church in 1302!) in proper context today, we should agree with the general warning and message and not merely reject it as a claim to Roman exclusivity.

SW

Leonard

Rober H quote:

"Contrast this with the true gospel."

SW:

Aside from the Catholic bashing that will result from your post, Rober, would you agree that salvation ultimately does not occur apart from Christ's church? While I would agree that membership in the Roman church is not a requirement for salvation, I would take issue with those who reject Christ's church because I think rejection of that is also a rejection of Christ himself. It is through the church that we hear the gospel of forgiveness of sins and receive that grace through Word and Sacrament. Those who have abandoned the church have abandoned the vine from which flows life. I think if we put that warning from the Roman church (the only church in 1302!) in proper context today, we should agree with the general warning and message and not merely reject it as a claim to Roman exclusivity.

SW

I am not Catholic bashing.

When you believe the gospel you are in the church. You are not saved by the church. I do not agree with you at all.

Ephesians 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Ephesians 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.