• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Who was Melchizedek?

In looking for verses for the Jesus As God thread, I was considering this passage. Loosely, it seems to either describe a man that was "styled" as a type of Christ or was Christ. Which do you think is true? Or do you have an alternative theory?

---------------------------------------------------

Hebrews 7:1-28:

1This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, his name means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace." 3Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.

4Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! 5Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people--that is, their brothers--even though their brothers are descended from Abraham. 6This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater. 8In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.

11If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come--one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law. 13He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17For it is declared:

"You are a priest forever,

in the order of Melchizedek."

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Mark777

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Who was Melchizedek?

In looking for verses for the Jesus As God thread, I was considering this passage. Loosely, it seems to either describe a man that was "styled" as a type of Christ or was Christ. Which do you think is true? Or do you have an alternative theory?

---------------------------------------------------

Hello Mark777

Melchizedek is a very interesting study. Melchizedek in the Genesis account was a real man just as Abraham was a real man. There is little that is actually taught on this man because of the new testament scriptures you quoted in Hebrews because it says he was without father and mother so people speculate because of that but there is no need because answers are in the word.

Melchizedek is a type and shadow of Christ who was the High Priest to come through the lineage of Abraham which you can read of that lineage in Matthew chapter 1 which the old testament follows.

In the Genesis account 14:17-24 while there was war among the kings going on some of Abrahams relatives were taken captive and Abraham went and rescued them this man Melchizedek who was a priest it says of the Most High God in verse 18

Now this man was a priest it says that came to minister to Abraham as he brought the bread and wine and he blessed Abraham verses 19-20 and blessed the Most High God who is the possessor of heaven and earth.

There are a few things to point out first this King of Salem is a type of Christ in which this title reveals much about who he is a type and shadow of which you have already covered. But we know who the possesser of heaven earth will be in the end-times in his futurre role as well as they was war among the kings in Genesis 14 which can all be tied into bible prophecy but I want go into that side of things.

the second thing is we notice about Melchizedek is that he was a priest of the Most High God and this was before the Levitical priesthood came about as we know that the heavenly tabernacle in heaven as always existed from the beginning. and everything is patterned after it in the earth.

the third thing in verse 18 is that Melchizedek the priest comes to Abraham and he brings bread and wine and communes or fellowship with Abramham. the "bread" and the "wine" are symbolic of the "body" of Jesus that would be the sacrifice for our sins and the "wine" represents the "blood" of Christ that would be shed for the remission of sins and sprinkled on the mercy seat in heaven when Jesus Christ that was to come through the loins of Abraham would fulfill his earthly mission and ascend back to the Father and sprinkle His blood on the alter the mercy seat once and for all.

the fourth thing is that Christ Jesus has always been without father or mother in heaven before the foundation of the earth for He was in the bosom of the Father for he is the word made flesh. He laid aside all the wealth of heaven to come to this earth and took on the form of a servant. For He was God in flesh.

The scriptures in Hebrew only show the fulfillment of our once and for all High Priest who died once as the spotless sacrifice the Lamb of God without blemish 1 John 2:2 "for he is the propitiation for our sins" meaning He was that sacrifice that appeased the wrath of God. My Son in whom I am well pleased. (Romans 3:25: 2 Corinthians 5:18: John 1:29) thus doing away with the levitical priesthood in their functions of slaying the bulls and goats for atonement.

Here are a few scriptures to ponder (Hebrews 7:1,4: Psalms 110:4 my favorite cause He will be the King and priest and the victor and will possess all; Hebrews 5:6; Acts 16:17 for Jesus is the way the truth and the life) Hope I have helped in some way blessings to you

OC

mark777

In Genesis 14 where Melchizedek is mentioned for the very first time within that setting there was wars of the kings going on just like it will be in the end-times.

Hebrews 7:1-28:

1This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, 2and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, his name means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace." 3Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.

4Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! 5Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people--that is, their brothers--even though their brothers are descended from Abraham. 6This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater. 8In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.

11If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come--one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law. 13He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17For it is declared:

"You are a priest forever,

in the order of Melchizedek."

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Mark777

Hey OC,

Something else to throw into the pot is the passage in John:

John 8:56-59:

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day; and he saw it, and was glad. The Jews therefore said unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am. They took up stones therefore to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple."

Before Abraham was born Jesus was. Abraham SAW Jesus day (Revelation).

Melchizedek means "King of Righteousness" which is a pretty elevated title.

What do you think about verse 8 in Hebrews chapter 7?

"And here men that die receive tithes; but there one, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. "

Mark

Isn't Jesus the King of righteousness?

A type of Christ - could that mean pre-incarnate Christ Christ?

Isn't Jesus the King of Peace?

Let me ask this question:

What keeps Melchizedek from being Christ? What are some objections?

Mark

Hey OC,

Something else to throw into the pot is the passage in John:

John 8:56-59:

"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day; and he saw it, and was glad. The Jews therefore said unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am. They took up stones therefore to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple."

Before Abraham was born Jesus was. Abraham SAW Jesus day (Revelation).

Melchizedek means "King of Righteousness" which is a pretty elevated title.

What do you think about verse 8 in Hebrews chapter 7?

"And here men that die receive tithes; but there one, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. "

Mark

Hello Mark777

The earthly tabernacles or churches made with hands have to rely on tithes and offerings from people in order to carry the gospel message of Christ to the world. Earthly men and women who will die one day is used to spread the gospel. How shall they be saved if preachers aren't sent forth to share the gospel message. It takes money to carry out the great commission to preach and teach making disciples of men.

But in the heavenly tabernacle in heaven there are no tithes and offerings needed for the work was completed when Christ our High Priest sprinkled His own Blood on the mercy seat. For the sacrifice of His Son appeased the wrath of God. For Jesus was the last "OFFERING" "TITHE" "GIFT" that was needed to be given to atone for our sins. For Jesus is our portion of daily bread that was a gift from God the Father.

The ministry that Jesus is carrying out in the heavenly tabernacle for us right now is intercession for us the role of the High Priest as Jesus is standing in the Holy of Holies in the heavenly tabernacle between mankind and God the Father just as the old testament priest did after they were purified according to the law or else they would die.

This operation in the heavenly tabernacle needs no tithes and offerings and gifts to get the job done for it is finished and the blood of bulls and goats no longer are needed.

But the earthly tabernacle which are only patterns and figures (Hebrews 9:24) of the true tabernacle in heaven they still need leaders and tithes and offerings to carry on the work of the church but we don't have our faith in them leaders because they will die but Jesus ever liveth forever and High Priest (Amen) blessings

OC

Yes OC, I agree.

I would add that:

"And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Rev 13:8

That the eternal sacrifice and atonement happened before the creation - or that it was valid before the creation. The Levitical law was a parable that taught the eternal.

But, what do you think? Was Melchizedek an "incarnation" of Jesus? or a manifestation of Jesus? I ask again, what would keep that from being the case?

Saying that Melchizedek was a type of Christ - is that saying he wasn't Christ?

Mark

Isn't Jesus the King of righteousness?

A type of Christ - could that mean pre-incarnate Christ Christ?

Isn't Jesus the King of Peace?

Let me ask this question:

What keeps Melchizedek from being Christ? What are some objections?

Mark

Hello Mark777

Scriptures tell us in Hebrew 7:4

"Now "consider" how great this "MAN" was unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils."

Okay I have consider this man mentioned in Genesis 14 and it said that this "man" was a priest of the Most High God. This does not mean he was Christ pre-incarnate that is error. For example Melchizedek was a king of Salem that lived on the earth at that time in history also we know that Moses was a real man who lived on earth during his time in history both Moses and Melchizedek are types and shadows of the Christ that was to come.

We already talked about from Hebrews 7:1-2 what Melchizedek was forshadowing to us in what the names told us about him as we learn this as we "consider" this man and we find this knowledge being applied to Jesus Christ for Christ is a priest of the Most High God, Christ is King of righteousness, Christ is King of peace.

In the same way with Moses as we would "consider" him for He was a type of Christ portraying to us the deliverance that would come to us through Christ from out of bondage and captivity from sins slavery and from the power of Satan.

You asked What keeps Melchizedek from being Christ? and What are some objections?

Well for you Christ was not at all a type or shadow Christ was God in flesh the real deal the one and only spotless sacrifice as he gave his own body and shed his own blood. Christ was not earthly as the first Adam was as he was the Second Adam. And my objective is that scriptures say that Melchizedek was a man.

I hope you will read these few verses as it will surely be a blessing as it is to me

Hebrews 12:22-29

OC

Yes OC, I agree.

I would add that:

"And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Rev 13:8

That the eternal sacrifice and atonement happened before the creation - or that it was valid before the creation. The Levitical law was a parable that taught the eternal.

But, what do you think? Was Melchizedek an "incarnation" of Jesus? or a manifestation of Jesus? I ask again, what would keep that from being the case?

Saying that Melchizedek was a type of Christ - is that saying he wasn't Christ?

Mark

I think I covered these already in last post

oc

OC,

I feel slow today. Wasn't Jesus a "MAN"?

Isn't Jesus a priest of the Most High God?

Moses was not said to be without mother and father, beginning of day or end of life.

Moses was not a priest.

Moses name does not mean "King of Righteousness".

It seems to me that Melchizedek was like Christ in very important ways,

Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek.

Melchezidek is a priest forever

Levi paid tithes through Abraham to Melchizedek. Levi being a representative of Moses and the Levitical law. This to me says that Melchizedek is greater than Moses or the Law.

what do you think.......?

Mark

great thoughts micen that Spirit that "NEVER" dies

Amen

OC