• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I appreciate all the responses thus-far. However, I would like to see some responses to the specific questions I posed in the OP regarding the number of prophesies "out there," and how we should discern between them. Any takers?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the ministry of a prophet is listed in the New Testament, the idea of writing off anyone as false because they call themselves a prophet is absurd.

Show me one place where a Prophet calls himself a prophet. They were recognized, not self-promoted

Prophets were often murdered in the Bible by the people they went to. Most prophets were very reluctant to be known as prophets.

The ones who were not afraid of being known as prophets gave signs to show their authority. Elijah calling down fire, etc....

I stand by my "absurd" statement. Anyone who calls themself a prophet is not from God. They will either allow it to seen/known or they will be quiet.

Since the ministry of a prophet is listed in the New Testament, the idea of writing off anyone as false because they call themselves a prophet is absurd.

Show me one place where a Prophet calls himself a prophet. They were recognized, not self-promoted

Prophets were often murdered in the Bible by the people they went to. Most prophets were very reluctant to be known as prophets.

The ones who were not afraid of being known as prophets gave signs to show their authority. Elijah calling down fire, etc....

I stand by my "absurd" statement. Anyone who calls themself a prophet is not from God. They will either allow it to seen/known or they will be quiet.

I agree with that statement. Did the Lord Jesus ever announce Himself as the Messiah? Those that were truly seeking Him knew who He was without His having to say anything but "Follow me."

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I appreciate all the responses thus-far. However, I would like to see some responses to the specific questions I posed in the OP regarding the number of prophesies "out there," and how we should discern between them. Any takers?

I know what you are saying in regards to the abundance of prophesies that are out there and they all are prophesying totally different things especially in regards to specific judgment that are going to come on America usually they never confirm one another they in fact contradict one another.

But then as you say they is always the lone prophet who ain't saying what the others are prophesying his message is different. So should we listen to anything he has to say.

well Jesus taught us that His word was truth and there is only one place that we can go to to get truth from being the bible for in it is instructions and from the word we can know right from wrong hence dicernment as the Spirit of God will teach in the truth.

Jesus also said that we would know them by their fruits the works in which they do whether is good or bad we can eventually know.

now same standard applies to one lone prophet as the many prophets must be measured by the Word but usually the loner is more credible than the multitudes just my thoughts

oc

Show me one person in the New Testament that calls himself a Pastor. I guess if you can't find one, all self-proclaimed Pastors are false. I stand behind calling your statement about prophets absurd.

You got the wrong guy because I don't think Pastors (as we do it today) is a biblical model of what the Bible speaking about. I'm in total agreement with your statement that self-proclaimed pastors are not pastors but hirelings.

over...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Amos knew he was a prophet altho a shepherd....

Amo 7:12 Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there:

Amo 7:13 But prophesy not again any more at Bethel: for it is the king's chapel, and it is the king's court.

Amo 7:14 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:

Amo 7:15 And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

Amo 7:12 Also Amaziah said unto Amos, O thou seer, go, flee thee away into the land of Judah, and there eat bread, and prophesy there:

Amo 7:13 But prophesy not again any more at Bethel: for it is the king's chapel, and it is the king's court.

Amo 7:14 Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:

Amo 7:15 And the LORD took me as I followed the flock, and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

I was a shepherd. Then the Lord called me to speak. I am still a shepherd.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

True, But he was also a prophet ...

"and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel."

True, But he was also a prophet ...

"and the LORD said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel."

Okay, but I thin the point was that he did not call himself a prophet. Saying, "the Lord said to me, Go, prophesy to my people" is not the same thing as saying, "I am a prophet." I think the idea is, if you have to tell people who you are, you probably are not that. It's an issue of self-glorification verses simply humility.

I would also like to ask you this since I am a bit surprised by that answer. If all self-proclaimed pastors are false, are their any real pastors in any churches and what is a Biblical model of what the Bible is speaking of?

there are some...but they are recognized and not self-proclaimed.

The "kahal" is any assembly of the saints (and "assembly" is the correct interpretation of the word which has been re-interpreted as "Church"). We all know that buildings and denominations have nothing to do with it, ci?

The biblical model is people who live together in a community based on their trust in Yeshua. Within that community servants will rise as leaders. They lead by example

In the modern model of "church", leaders are those who order the servants.

Certainly a prophet will recognize that the Lord is speaking through him but the moment he declares himself to be a prophet he is touching God's glory. A real prophet can not be prideful enough to do that....

There is a saying that goes like this:

Question; Where is gold found?

Answer: Wherever the gold is.

Every person who has the Spirit of God within them has the gift of prophecy. They can speak the very words of God without even realizing it. That means anyone whom declares themself a "prophet" has elevated themself by self-declaration over the rest of us.

Pride.

Pure, simple, and ugly.