• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

The Beatles are a personal favorite of mine it was the first

group I can recall from childhood.I also enjoy the Beachboys

and Buddy Holly I'm a push over for the oldies!

Metallica and the Greatful Dead along with Kiss and Guns and

Roses, Ironmaiden and etc. are a blast from my headbangin

days that will always hold a place in my heart!

I believe that music has played a role in my life in the way of

it kinda represents phases in my life. Certain songs I hear on

the radio are like windows into my past I hear them and in a

way I am instantly remembering where I was and whom I was

at the time I first heard it.

God Bless!

:24:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I used to be a big Prince fan. Had all his albums, saw him in concert once, etc...

Prince has some very devout and Christian sounding songs. Two of them come from his 1988 album Lovesexy album.

Lyrics from Anna Stesia: "Save me Jesus I've been a fool. How could I forget that U are the rule. U are my God. I am your child. From now on, 4 U I shall be wild. I shall be quick. I shall be strong. I'll tell your story no matter how long. We're just a play in your master plan. Now my Lord, I understand."

From the same album comes I know (rendered Eye no): "I know there is a heaven. I know there is a hell. Listen to me people, I've got a story to tell. I know there was confusion, lightning all around me. That's when I called his name, don't you know he found me."

And, of course, there is The Cross from 1987's Sign O the Times. "Black day, stormy night. No love, no hope in sight. Don't cry, he is coming. Don't die without knowing - the Cross. Ghettos to the left of us. Flowers to the right. There'll be bread for all of us if we can just bear the cross. Sweet song of salvation, a pregant mother sings. She lives in starvation, her children need all that she brings. We all have our problems. Some big, some are small. Soon all of our problems will be taken by the cross."

There are other examples.

Unfortunately, Prince also sings many graphically sexual songs, the lyrics of which I will not print here. It painted a confusing painting of him: Someone who probably believed in God and Jesus but refused to submit himself to Him. In fact, he openly revelled in sexual indulgence, not a good role model for Christians.

Today, he's a JW. I saw his 2000 concert and all the gooey sex stuff was toned down big time.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/23/1987

the only artist in that list I've heard is Jay-Z...he's good.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

The Beatles

I love the Beatles! My mum was a huuuuge fan when she was growing up (and though she never actually got to see them live, she did join the throng screaming for them somewhere in Liverpool!) so I was bought up on them.

The Beach Boys

Again, I love The Beach Boys. My boyfriend, his sister and I were listening to them a few weeks ago and we'd forgotten how awful some of the lyrics are ("help me Rhonda, help me get her out of my heart"- what a smooth talker!) but it's still great music and I still love them!

Jay-Z

I'm definitely not a fan of Jay-Z, musically or lyrically. Then again, I don't like hip hop or rap or any "urban" music really, so that's probably not all that surprising!

Johnny Cash

I loooove Johnny Cash! His music is fantastic and his lyrics are great. Again, I grew up on him. Walk the Line is my second favourite film. Joaquin Phoenix did a great job as Johnny!

Buddy Holly

Buddy Holly is another one I grew up on. Maybe Baby is my favourite track by him, but it's pretty much all good stuff!

Metallica

Metallica are great! Enter Sandman is over played, but they have done some fantastic tracks. ST Anger was a disappointment, although apparently it is a grower so maybe I just haven't given it a chance.

There are more I could say about other people in your list but I won't bore you!

Edited to add...I'm not saying that The Beach Boys lyrics are badly written, just to clear that up!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  109

We all have different tastes, and I believe it is possible to praise God and to be moved by Him through many styles. My first and foremost word is that much of entertainment oriented music has lyric issues that the Christian should be aware of. The old computer saying "garbage in, garbage out" is true for the most complex and bug-free computer ever invented: the human brain. If you fill your heart with only what is vile, then that's what will come out of your mouth and out of your life.

Something I've noticed over the years, listening to music from various genres, there are common themes, love and hope chief among them. I've begun to believe that many songwriters and performers who follow such themes, even when they are focusing on sinful indulgence, are actually seeking after a Love that will not fade, and is not subject to the ravages of time, or fickle feelings. Much of what has been popular music is actually a hungering and thirsting after the living God.

Waddaya thunk about that? :noidea:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  122
  • Birthday:  05/23/1987

We all have different tastes, and I believe it is possible to praise God and to be moved by Him through many styles. My first and foremost word is that much of entertainment oriented music has lyric issues that the Christian should be aware of. The old computer saying "garbage in, garbage out" is true for the most complex and bug-free computer ever invented: the human brain. If you fill your heart with only what is vile, then that's what will come out of your mouth and out of your life.

IMHO, I don't agree with this theory, I have been listening to the same music for years and haven't changed a bit. How do you explain that?

For example, I heard a song the other day bout stealin...did I go out and carjack someone? Nope. :whistling:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/28/2005

In our society, we typically have a conditioned desire to want that - everlasting - relationship with someone, or someones, of our personal gender preference(s). Those who plan on growing old generally fear being left alone, and from our youth we're fed information similar to "when you grow up, one of the best things you can do is get married to someone who loves you!" Children are easily indoctrinated; therefore, most develop this idea of eternal love early.

Music reflects a country's culture, thus naturally... I don

Edited by Bractal

• Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

The Beatles

Long haired and bushy tailed :24:

The Beach Boys

Fun: Sun ... sand ... surf ... nothing like it :laugh:

Jay-Z

Who?? :24:

Johnny Cash

Down to earth country stuff - my kind of scenery

Buddy Holly

My Mum loved this guy - didn't he sing Peggy Sue?

Metallica

Well .... ummmm .... they fill our playlist :whistling:

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

2 Corinthians 10:5 says we "take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ." This is how we allow Jesus to be "the Lord of our lives". That gives us a pretty clear picture of the kind of music we SHOULDN'T listen to.

If secular music leads you to think about, or get involved in something that does not glorify God