IGNORED

Saints in the Holy City

Guest LivingWater

Guest LivingWater

I believe in JESUS! Yes, I do believe that he died and rose again but I just found this scripture in Matthew, I think it's in Chapter 25 or 27 or something like that. It talks about saints rising from their graves and appearing to people in the holy city. What does this mean? It sounds like dead people are walking around is that what it means? If it means that then I'm really confused cuz this sounds weird. Thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

That is indeed exactly what it means, and this event is even recorded in the Talmud.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  416
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Leonard,

Could you direct me to that passage in the Talmud? Maybe an online link?

Mark

Leonard,

Could you direct me to that passage in the Talmud? Maybe an online link?

Mark

The the commentary by Edersheim in THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JESUS THE MESSIAH. I don't recall the tractate.

The Talmud is basically very old Jewish Biblical commentary. Though lots of subjects not specifically addressed in the Scriptures are discussed as well. Some of the commentary predates Christ.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/08/1962

I believe in JESUS! Yes, I do believe that he died and rose again but I just found this scripture in Matthew, I think it's in Chapter 25 or 27 or something like that. It talks about saints rising from their graves and appearing to people in the holy city. What does this mean? It sounds like dead people are walking around is that what it means? If it means that then I'm really confused cuz this sounds weird. Thanks.

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many

Wow, this puts a huge hole in the "immortal soul" non-sense that is prevalent in today's modern church, drunk with the wine of the fornication of the harlot!

It also begs the question, how come Jesus didn't say to Lazarus, "Come down!" (from Heaven) as opposed to what he actually said, "Come forth?"

And what gives with Martha and what she said:

John 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

You mean Martha didn't believe in "absent from the body...."

Maybe that's because she knew the soul wasn't "immortal."

"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Timothy 1:17

"To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:" Romans 2:7

"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality." 1 Corinthians 15:53

"So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory." 1 Corinthians 15:54

"Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen." 1 Timothy 6:16

"But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:" 2 Timothy 1:10

Guest LivingWater

RND, what are you saying? That people don't have a soul? That there's no afterlife, at least until Jesus comes back? :noidea:

I still think this scripture is strange, it sounds like they thought Jesus was setting up his kingdom right then.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/07/1989

There are several vesres that imply that when you die you are asleep, unconcious. I dont remember them all but one of them is matt 22:29-32. It say "You are in error because you do not now the Scriptures or the power of God. at the ressurection people will neither marry nor be give in marriage, they will be like the angels in heaven. But about the ressuerction of the dead-have you not read what God said to you. I am the God of Abraham teh God of Isaac and teh God of Jocab? He is not the God of teh dead but of the living.

This is answering a question put to Jesus if in heaven you are married. But it says you will not be married when you are ressurected, not when you die. So therefor you go to heaven when you are resurected. When are you resurrected you ask? you are ressurected at two times! The first has already taken place and was when Jesus was ressurected. The souls of those dead came alive and asided into Heaven when Jesus did. So their were not dead people walking around but people who were dead. the second ressurection happens when Jesus returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

I just wanted to point out the fact that yes, in the Bible there is a lot of reference to people not going to Heaven until after the ressurection...but people, if we are "unconcious or asleep" until then it won't matter....because time doesn't exist when you're asleep! We don't need to worry, because God knows what he's doing...and he will look after us, and it will be amazing. Better than anything we've ever experienced here on earth.

Also, I read this same verse in mathew not too long ago and it weirded me out too! Craziness when all the dead people are up and walking around! Can you imagine how insane that must have been???