• Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Why do people get Communion anyway?

Hello James!

Communion is a way we celebrate what our Lord did for us. During the last meal he had with his disciples, Jesus broke bread saying it was his body laid down for us, and and shared wine, which he said was his blood poured out for us.

He then said to do this often in remembrance of me. The purpose of Communion is to remember the great sacrifice Jesus made for us.

God Bless,

Keilan

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Hey all, I have a question. Somebody once told me that using a substitute for wine means that you arn't really doing as Jesus told us too. Now I disagree with this, at my church we use grape juice so that the children who are beginning to have a relationship with Jesus can also participate.

So what are your opinions?

Why cant the children drink real wine? I believe every state has religious ceremonial provision in its under age alcohol consumption law.

Well for arguments sakes, lets say that the Children can have wine (which I suppose they probably can in small amounts), do you believe that it is wrong to use Grape Juice as a substitute? Also, many parents probably wouldn't let their children drink wine, even if the physical effects had been proven harmless.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Technically, it was not fermented wine that Jesus used at passover, at communion. For a church to use wine with alcohol in it is already incorrect. Same with the bread. Jesus did not use bread with yeast in it either.

what do you base this on? the wine used was...well wine. you have to infer bit much to say otherwise.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Why do people get Communion anyway?

Hello James!

Communion is a way we celebrate what our Lord did for us. During the last meal he had with his disciples, Jesus broke bread saying it was his body laid down for us, and and shared wine, which he said was his blood poured out for us.

He then said to do this often in remembrance of me. The purpose of Communion is to remember the great sacrifice Jesus made for us.

God Bless,

Keilan

Keilan, very good explanation! :41:

So....you think it's ok for little kids to drink alcohol? :41:

remember they arenttaking shots or having a full glass of wine. also, in biblical times, wine/alcohol was a part of their culture. we have more of the western mindset about it though. thats its sinful in itself and so on and so forth type attitude.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

It was part of their culture because back then fermentation was the only way to preserve the juice and kill the germs.

It was part of their culture because back then fermentation was the only way to preserve the juice and kill the germs.

well it is still from God regardless of the 'why' it was in their culture though. the fact is that it was/is a part of their culture.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  125
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

My friends in the Church that I am now attending uses both, I think it is a great idea it allows the younger children who have made their first communion to come to the Lord's table and not be troubled with the taste of wine. Also in this church they permitt young children to come up with their parents and bless those that have not yet reicieved their first communion yet until they are old enough to understand what it means, I also think it is good so those who have a problem with alcohol they can come without be put under that stress. We have two cups one with and one without. And the Pastor tells both the congreation and vistors which is which and I think this is a great way to come to The Lord's Table. Love in Christ littlejoe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Thanks for the reply!

Thats what I thought about it. The Wine (or Grape Juice) is only symbolic, and both can remind one of what Jesus did for us. I think that Jesus sees our hearts, not what kind of purple liquid we happen to be drinking :emot-handshake:

I agree. It doesn' matter what the liquid is, wine or juice, it is the state of our hearts when we receive it and what it represents. Also I was told by a pastor there is a reason why so many churches use grape juice, There are a lot of people that have been saved out of alcoholism and one drink of wine could put them right back to square one. In all the years I have taken communion I have never had wine.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

That's why I'm so against wine, Rusty.