IGNORED

Influences of Rock Music

Guest tinkerbellj

Can relate to the "rock music " thing, have spent a large amount of time pondering this very subject. Now adays, I find myself waiting for some hint that the lord or jesus would approve the song before I can thouroughly enjoy it. If I get any clue, then I just turn it off-change stations. So much of it I listened to before I renewed my faith, that I know all the lyrics. The other day I heard Areo Smith refer to "the Good Lord take me away" in sing women. Never noticed it before, so now that artist will be on my can listen to list until I hear something that puts them on the avoid list. How do you know what is safe?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Can relate to the "rock music " thing, have spent a large amount of time pondering this very subject. Now adays, I find myself waiting for some hint that the lord or jesus would approve the song before I can thouroughly enjoy it. If I get any clue, then I just turn it off-change stations. So much of it I listened to before I renewed my faith, that I know all the lyrics. The other day I heard Areo Smith refer to "the Good Lord take me away" in sing women. Never noticed it before, so now that artist will be on my can listen to list until I hear something that puts them on the avoid list. How do you know what is safe?

What is safe for you? What is safe for me? Are we supposed to be "safe" at all times?

I don't believe that we are to always be "safe" but that we are to be on guard many times. However we have times, everyone does, where we are weak, aren't able to be particularly guarded or just not paying attention. Those are the times when things, IMO, are more dangerous.

All in all it's about being spiritually mature, responsible and aware of our own spiritual condition and making decisions based on this.

Remember Ecclesiastes. Read it and isolate what is being said and see what I mean. If I take those verses in the context of the overall message and allow the total message to reach me, those particulars are peices of the puzzle and not truths that I take inside myself. Remember Christ on the Cross, asking "why have you forsaken me?" That is part of a whole. If I as a CHristian were to isolate this passage of scripture and repeat it over and over and take it into myself out of context, then what will happen to my soul? (possible damage, did God forsake ME?) Now consider what happens to my soul when I put it back into context and take in the whole message (Look what CHrist endured for me).

Scripture is full of words and is the work of the Supreme artist. Yet there are passages of Scripture I can't read when I'm in a sulk, it makes things worse. It's up to me to regulate that sort of thing. ANd it's that way with everything we touch in our lives.

Consider what the message is, why it is there, who put it there...COnsider whether it is influencing you and if so, how so...consider your surroundings, your particular weakness at the moment, ect. I have to turn the news off sometimes, even though I am very politically minded due to the fact that I'll find it taking over my life and stealing away the actual "here and now" life I have with my friends and family. I'll become caught up and traumatized. Or sometimes I'll just feel jaded. Or sometimes apathetic. Or.... It might not give you the same reaction on the same day. If I feel angry enough to change things and my son feels so overwhelmed he ceases to care was the message good or not?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

For those of you who believe rock is so evil why not pull the lyrics to some songs by Red, Pillar, Or Building429. Try those on for size. I will be looking for those lyrics again as they were on my other computer. I will try t get some on here to post. Amazing. Better yet look up Plumb and specificially her song CUT. She is not rock, but read the lyrics to that and ketme know what you think.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. KJVR

I do think that we have to be careful as to what we watch, listen to etc as it can ALL affect our walk with God.

So if you are listening to the wrong kind of music/lyrics you start to accept it and before you know it you believe it.

Thats why we are to read the Bible and pray to pray for the renewing of our minds.

Carol R