Influences of Rock Music

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

So, do you know each and every person individually that you buy their music? How do you KNOW they are believers?

Shalom Ronald,

This is an excellent post! I agree.

I say this over and over, we cannot judge the heart and its condition, only G-d can.

Just because someone sings Christian music doesn't make them a Christian any more than someone eating at McDonald's makes them a hamburger! :whistling:

And also, there are many Christian artists that do not sing only Christian songs. Singing secular songs doesn't make them a non-Christian.

Also, just so you know, Randy Travis IS a Christian. My friend attends a church where Randy regularly attends and has given his testimony of being born again. He sings Gospel now.

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

So, do you know each and every person individually that you buy their music? How do you KNOW they are believers?

Shalom Ronald,

This is an excellent post! I agree.

I say this over and over, we cannot judge the heart and its condition, only G-d can.

Just because someone sings Christian music doesn't make them a Christian any more than someone eating at McDonald's makes them a hamburger! :b:

And also, there are many Christian artists that do not sing only Christian songs. Singing secular songs doesn't make them a non-Christian.

Also, just so you know, Randy Travis IS a Christian. My friend attends a church where Randy regularly attends and has given his testimony of being born again. He sings Gospel now.

I was thinking that Randy was a Christian now!!! PTL!!!

I love music..I bought a cd from the local Christian shop, a very well known Christian band that leans toward rock but not to the extreme...with a bit of rap thrown in.....Great rythms...actually they have made it in the top 20 in Aus in the secular music scene.

Anyway, after listening to 2 songs, I was feeling very uneasy as the cd continued. I was getting quite disturbed with the music and felt STRONGLY to get the cd OUT of my house because of my 4 boys. The unease was very, very strong. I went with the feeling and returned the cd to the shop.

I believe the Holy Spirit moved me and I obeyed.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Hiya Ronald...as usual I will try to give my best, honest answer. NO WAY, do I claim to know the hearts, minds, or souls of every persons music I buy. I've also said that I have certainly been duped by the "I'm a Christian" tag used by some musicians. I've got no shame in admitting that. I can only be responsible for my actions. When I purchase music it is my intention to support persons who say they accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour. I WISH more Christians felt the need to support them often. However, when I later find out that they are not acting out in a Christian way...that ends my desire to financially support their ministry.

Alan Jackson? Do you know his heart? You've certainly judged him as not being a "real" Christian artist. I bought his CD and absolutely loved it; I've also bought CD's by Randy Travis and a host of other secular artists. Simply because someone sings secular music doesn't make them evil, ya know!

Don't have to know his heart. He is NOT a Christian artist, nor does he claim to be. He did an album of old church hyms, not because of his depth faith...but for his mom. I suppose some people think its pretty awesome that just any 'ol person can sing Jesus songs and make millions of dollars, while people who lift their voices to the Lord daily get little support...even from their own brothers and sisters in Christ. Randy Travis on the other hand has worn his Christianity on his sleeve for quite some time. He is a "real" Christian artist. Randy Travis does NOT sing secular music, but he does work within the secular music industry. He also has a Christian music record label. Randy Travis does NOT sing songs of a secular nature, although he has in the past. I think it is debateable on whether or not secular music (un-christian) is evil.

Did you know that Hank Williams, Sr., a man I'm sure you'd term as ungodly, wrote and recorded gospel songs that are still considered standards in the field of Southern Gospel music today? When I listen to the words of "I Saw The Light" I just know that those words COULD NOT have came from an unrepentant sinner! Did Hank live a perfect life? Far from it! However, for all of the wrong things in his life, I still believe God used him to write that song.

Hmmm...do I consider a drug addicted, alcoholic, who beats his wife ungodly? Okay, you got me. I don't care what he wrote...I wouldn't support his music or his lifestyle in ANY way. Can ANYONE write a Jesus flavored tune and you guys will drink it? Is there no limit, or boundary, or standard? If Korn released a Jesus tune, but kept on with their drug induced, womanizing, binge drinking...would you be out buying their music and singing hallelujah. I doubt it. However, when Brian Welch became a Christian he left that Band and became a different person...you could see God in his life. Thats what you should be supporting.

I am truly blown away by the support of non-christian music here at Worthy. I won't be judgemental because you all have to reconcile your choices with God. All I'm saying is that you should all, as Christians, be on the forefront of promoting music that is written, and performed by people who proclaim Jesus as their Saviour. Since the moment I suggested supporting Christian music over secular I have received nothing but excuses as to why non-christian (i.e. secular) music isn't all that bad. I've even gone so far as to suggest that "maybe" there is a secular musician that isn't writing bad music or living a bad lifestyle...but not one person has shown them to me. In fact, all I've discovered is that perhaps one Christian artist isn't what he claims to be.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

As Christians, we're not called to embrace all culture; neither are we called to reject all of it. We're simply called to transform it, just as Christ did while He walked this earth. Blessings, A.P.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

I am truly blown away by the support of non-christian music here at Worthy. I won't be judgemental because you all have to reconcile your choices with God. All I'm saying is that you should all, as Christians, be on the forefront of promoting music that is written, and performed by people who proclaim Jesus as their Saviour. Since the moment I suggested supporting Christian music over secular I have received nothing but excuses as to why non-christian (i.e. secular) music isn't all that bad. I've even gone so far as to suggest that "maybe" there is a secular musician that isn't writing bad music or living a bad lifestyle...but not one person has shown them to me. In fact, all I've discovered is that perhaps one Christian artist isn't what he claims to be.

I don't feel it is my duty to support music if I don't enjoy it. If I don't like a secular musician, I won't buy their music. period.

Same with christian music. If the sound doesn't appeal to me, I don't care if the author of the song is the kindest, brightest star of a Christian out there, he/she'll need to write better music if they want my business.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

As Christians, we're not called to embrace all culture; neither are we called to reject all of it. We're simply called to transform it, just as Christ did while He walked this earth. Blessings, A.P.

:thumbsup::blink::)

And someone has hit on the cultural mandate...this is very nice. :24:

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Don't have to know his heart. He is NOT a Christian artist, nor does he claim to be.

Shalom Axxman,

The point is, you don't know if Alan Jackson is a Christian or not. Simply because he does not record all Christian music does not mean he does not have a relationship with Jesus and he himself is a Christian. That is the point of the question about knowing his heart. You cannot judge someone's salvation by what type of music they record.

There are plenty of artists that record secular music and they are Christians.

There are plenty of artists that record Christian music that are not Christians.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Don't have to know his heart. He is NOT a Christian artist, nor does he claim to be.

Shalom Axxman,

The point is, you don't know if Alan Jackson is a Christian or not. Simply because he does not record all Christian music does not mean he does not have a relationship with Jesus and he himself is a Christian. That is the point of the question about knowing his heart. You cannot judge someone's salvation by what type of music they record.

There are plenty of artists that record secular music and they are Christians.

There are plenty of artists that record Christian music that are not Christians.

I have no problem with anything you said. I think that we should support Christians in ministry more than we support non-christians. We are talking about entertainment here. I choose entertainment that is in line with my spiritual beliefs. I won't support Christians who won't proclaim Christ...and I won't Support Christians who show no fruit. However, instead of digging, and digging, trying to find those guys who are Christians in disguise...we should be supporting people who are proudly and loudly praising OUR Saviour with music. We should at least be supporting them more than the "other guys."

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Nobody who claims to serve Christ should be purchasing music made by persons who are unbelievers.

You cannot take this line of logic down the road very far at all. I agree 100% that we should be listening to music that builds up both us and Christ, however I find nothing wrong with listening to secular music as long as it does not use foul language or promote a message that is anti-christian. I won't be trashing my Toto or Fleetwood Mac any time soon, and I certainly do not feel any conviction to do so, as I definitely did with the heavy metal stuff I had. It went bye bye. From the purely support standpoint, not a listening stand point, review that statement, because if you are only going to support christian artists, then that means you have to take it to the next level and make sure that everything you buy supports only christians and you won't be purchasing much of anything. You won't have a car, or a computer, or a house. You won't be able to go out to eat.

Like someone else said, we are to transform the world around us, not shun it. In, not of.

Stevie Nicks is a witch. I gotta say I would definately draw the line there. :thumbsup: