IGNORED

Remarrying after a Divorce....is it forbidden?

cherishedfaith

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1961

For those of you that have read my last msg posted regarding the way i was raised in a Pencostal church and then later in life began attending a Baptist church with my husband at the time ....hopefully knowing the background teachings i have had will explain why i am curious to know what other's believe here as far as if it's okay or not ok for someone to remarry after a divorce.

i do know according to God''s word that there are certain situations where it's allowed and where it's not.

Here is one way i was taught in a church that i attended many years ago:

His word states that if any man divorces his wife (except for fornication)[/i] and marry's another commits adultry. i have heard it explained that if two divorce because either one or the other has been unfaithful...that "act of unfaithfulness" in God's eye leaves both free to remarry due the sexual sin has broken the yoke between them and therefore it is okay if they divorce and remarry. But only in that situation. Otherwise, they are bound to the other until death separates them, whether they divorce or not. Mainly because that one act of joining their bodies to another ---other than their mate---- is the only grounds God will accept as reason to divorce and permits remarriage.

Yet i have also heard that remarriage is only permitted for the partner that was faithful, but the unfaithful partner is not permitted to remarry.

So is God's word clear on which party is permitted to remarry? Are both free to remarry because that one act of unfaithfulness severed that bond?

Just interested in getting more insight to this subject.

in Christ,

robin

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

For those of you that have read my last msg posted regarding the way i was raised in a Pencostal church and then later in life began attending a Baptist church with my husband at the time ....hopefully knowing the background teachings i have had will explain why i am curious to know what other's believe here as far as if it's okay or not ok for someone to remarry after a divorce.

i do know according to God''s word that there are certain situations where it's allowed and where it's not.

His word states that if any man divorces his wife (except for fornication)[/i] and marry's another commits adultry. i have heard it explained that if two divorce because either one or the other has been unfaithful...that "act of unfaithfulness" in God's eye leaves both free to remarry due the sexual sin has broken the yoke between them and therefore it is okay if they divorce and remarry. But only in that situation. Otherwise, they are bound to the other until death separates them, whether they divorce or not. Mainly because that one act of joining their bodies to another ---other than their mate---- is the only grounds God will accept as reason to divorce and permits remarriage.

Yet i have also heard that remarriage is only permitted for the partner that was faithful, but the unfaithful partner is not permitted to remarry.

So is God's word clear on which party is permitted to remarry? Are both free to remarry because that one act of unfaithfulness severed that bond?

in Christ,

robin

Jesus allows for divorce (with a later remarriage), for the innocent husband/wife whose marriage covenant was dishonored by his or her partner

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  474
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Cherished Faith,

Throughout our bible studies, we have encountered various understandings on what is biblical marraige, divorce and remarraige. While my husband and I were at our previous assembly, we were introduced to a teaching that caused us to search it out further. Out of that process, he put together this bible study of what we found through our studies of this subject. With that said, we have concluded that a God honoring marraige is between one man and one woman for the duration of their life. This has been a very controversial topic for those who study the scriptures. Knowing this, I shall respectfully share this study for your consideration...

BIBLICAL MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE

OLD TESTAMENT AND NEW TESTAMENT

BASIC PRINCIPLES

"What therefore God has joined together,

let no man separate

Malachi 2:13"This is another thing you do: you cover the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping and with groaning, because He no longer regards the offering or accepts it with favor from your hand. 14"Yet you say, 'For what reason?' Because the LORD has been a witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. 15"But not one has done so who has a remnant of the Spirit And what did that one do while he was seeking a godly offspring? Take heed then to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth. 16"For I hate divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the LORD of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously." 17 You have wearied the LORD with your words Yet you say, "How have we wearied Him?" In that you say, "Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and He delights in them," or, "Where is the God of justice?"

God makes it clear that He does not approve of divorce. In fact, He says He hates it. If God hates something, shouldn

Guest drbelitz
Cherished Faith,

Throughout our bible studies, we have encountered various understandings on what is biblical marraige, divorce and remarraige. While my husband and I were at our previous assembly, we were introduced to a teaching that caused us to search it out further. Out of that process, he put together this bible study of what we found through our studies of this subject. With that said, we have concluded that a God honoring marraige is between one man and one woman for the duration of their life. This has been a very controversial topic for those who study the scriptures. Knowing this, I shall respectfully share this study for your consideration...

BIBLICAL MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE

OLD TESTAMENT AND NEW TESTAMENT

BASIC PRINCIPLES

"What therefore God has joined together,

let no man separate

Malachi 2:13"This is another thing you do: you cover the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping and with groaning, because He no longer regards the offering or accepts it with favor from your hand. 14"Yet you say, 'For what reason?' Because the LORD has been a witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. 15"But not one has done so who has a remnant of the Spirit And what did that one do while he was seeking a godly offspring? Take heed then to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth. 16"For I hate divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the LORD of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously." 17 You have wearied the LORD with your words Yet you say, "How have we wearied Him?" In that you say, "Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and He delights in them," or, "Where is the God of justice?"

God makes it clear that He does not approve of divorce. In fact, He says He hates it. If God hates something, shouldn

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Christians don't go to hell.

Guest drbelitz

looks like you already had this discussion and lost, admittedly.

hebrews 6:4-6

hebrews 10:26-27

but you are correct, they discontinue in Christ, and are taken from Him, the branches(we) are cut off through disobedience, and only regrafted through obedience.

those dying outside of Christ are no longer Christians. they are like dogs returning to their vomit again and again and not returning to their master, who is their Father by adoption, God.

Guest drbelitz

false, and this person covered it in scripture. what you claim was not taught in the rest of scripture nor supported by any church in the entirety of Christendom until after the 16th century.

matthew 5:32-33

to divorce or marry divorced woman is adultery.

matthew 19:4-6, 9

to divorce wife and remarry is adultery.

matthew 10:11-12

if either divorces or remarries=adultery

luke 16:18 to divorce and remarry or marry divorced=adultery

romans 7:2-3 if wife consorts=adulteress if living, not if dead

1 corinthians 7:10-11 if wife seperates, stay single or reconcile

Guest drbelitz

The Permanence of Matrimony

When Jesus came, he elevated matrimony to the same status it had originally possessed between Adam and Eve

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

looks like you already had this discussion and lost, admittedly.

hebrews 6:4-6

hebrews 10:26-27

but you are correct, they discontinue in Christ, and are taken from Him, the branches(we) are cut off through disobedience, and only regrafted through obedience.

those dying outside of Christ are no longer Christians. they are like dogs returning to their vomit again and again and not returning to their master, who is their Father by adoption, God.

Had this discussion? Lost what? What are you talking about? :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

His word states that if any man divorces his wife (except for fornication)[/i] and marry's another commits ry. i have heard it explained that if two divorce because either one or the other has been unfaithful...that "act of unfaithfulness" in God's eye leaves both free to remarry due the ual sin has broken the yoke between them and therefore it is okay if they divorce and remarry. But only in that situation. Otherwise, they are bound to the other until separates them, whether they divorce or not. Mainly because that one act of joining their bodies to another ---other than their mate---- is the only grounds God will accept as reason to divorce and permits remarriage.

in Christ,

robin

Jesus allows for divorce (with a later remarriage), for the husband/wife whose marriage covenant was dishonored by his or her partner