IGNORED

If God exists then why didn't we always have modern day luxuries?

DaughterofKing

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Ok...hear me out here. This is really just something that popped into my mind and I really wanna discuss it...

OK so we have such luxury now (well certain people don't but I digress)...we have refrigeration, plumbing, internet, airplanes, vaccinations, the list goes on and on.

So I was thinking, if there is a God and he is our loving father, wouldn't he have given this stuff to us already to begin with? It seems cruel not to let us have it. I can't imagine how some people live without these things and many of these things we invented and there are still many things to come that we will invent that will help our quality of living...

So anyway...I am really wondering why it took so long for us to have these things? Why did Our Heavenly Father let us go without for so long? :laugh:

Edited by DaughterofKing

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

If you look at the "luxuries" we have today, you would see that they are man's way of lessening the burden of the curse. For example, part of the curse is death, so we invented drugs and medical treatments to prolong life. The soil was cursed, so we invented pesticides and machinery to lessen that curse. All in all, I would have to agree with butero, our increased knowledge has resulted in our falling even further from grace.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

So I was thinking, if there is a God and he is our loving father, wouldn't he have given this stuff to us already to begin with? It seems cruel not to let us have it.

There are children in Africa and Central and South America who do not even have access to regular clean water, and you are worried about your luxeries? :laugh:

But to answer your question, if you would notice the materials required for our luxeries, you may find that these luxeries would not be possible without our ability to ship mass materials all over the world in a realtively short amount of time - something that was not possible all that long ago. And this does not include what it takes to obtain the recourses and produce them. Do you suppose the Ancient cultures had as much access to metals as we do now?

BTW, steam power was discovered in the Greco-Roman times, but it's potential was not utilized due to prejudice of the inventors not to get their hands dirty. Go figure.

Also, our mass production of luxeries has resluted likewise in a mass production of polution. What would our world be like if it had industrialized 3000 years ago? Would we have an environment left today?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Ok...hear me out here. This is really just something that popped into my mind and I really wanna discuss it...

OK so we have such luxury now (well certain people don't but I digress)...we have refrigeration, plumbing, internet, airplanes, vaccinations, the list goes on and on.

So I was thinking, if there is a God and he is our loving father, wouldn't he have given this stuff to us already to begin with? It seems cruel not to let us have it. I can't imagine how some people live without these things and many of these things we invented and there are still many things to come that we will invent that will help our quality of living...

So anyway...I am really wondering why it took so long for us to have these things? Why did Our Heavenly Father let us go without for so long? :laugh:

All those things you mentioned were created by man. God did not give us any of these things. Many of these inventions have been used against God.

As someone else said, these inventions have been created to ease our burdens and lighten our load. And unfortunately, our reliance on these things is our downfall sometimes.

I'll give you one example - the television. Many of us are hooked on Television - and we spend countless hours watching the same shows over and over again. What a waste of our time and resources - God has given us his Word - and it's more interesting than any TV show or book - Yet, many of us spend our free time studying the Television instead of God.

At the same time however, many of these man-made inventions can be used to the glory of God. The automobile can allow us to get to Church without any hassle - no matter how far away we live. The internet can allow us to communicate with non-believers and spread the Gospel. etc. etc...

There are many Christians there who have absolutely nothing but a complete and whole faith in Jesus Christ - and to be honest - these people are often the happiest people you can meet - despite their wordly poverty.

1 Timothy 6:7 - "For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out."

1 Timothy 6:17 - "Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;"

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I tend to look at it just the opposite DOK. I believe all these "things" we have today will lead to our downfall. God told Daniel in Chapter 12:4 "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: MANY SHALL RUN TO AND FROM, AND KNOWLEDGE SHALL BE INCREASED." This all fits into God's plans. In order for many scriptures to be fulfilled, we needed the technology we now have. A beast system as is described in scripture couldn't occur without it. I actually believe this increase in knowledge is further evidence God is real and the Bible is his Word.

i have to agree.....

there were many things that were not to be known to man before these days....

just like the concept of the rapture was not understood until about the middle of the 1800's, neither had transportation changed since Abrahams day ( or before ) knowledge now is at the tips of our fingers... leterally.....the average grade school student knows more then the average adult 100 years ago....

it is part of God's plan.

mike

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

So anyway...I am really wondering why it took so long for us to have these things? Why did Our Heavenly Father let us go without for so long? :th_praying:

My children have a certain intellectual capacity and the capacity to create, however if they don't learn and grow on their own overtime they won't appreciate anything they do.

That and not all of those things IMO are the blessing people percieve them to be. All knowledge has a price.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  523
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

So anyway...I am really wondering why it took so long for us to have these things? Why did Our Heavenly Father let us go without for so long? :th_praying:

Hmmm... I see it this way, God created us in his image... He made us to be creative, it is part of our nature to want to create something. Poems, music, art, buildings, groomed gardens, and even the potato peeler. Yes they are all man made creations, but they exist becuse God made us that way... To be inquisitive, curious, expressive, inventive... Creative. It has given us all something to do over the centuries. Our Heavenly Father did not let us 'go without'... He has given us everything we need... It's just a matter of us getting off our duffs and using all the resources He has provided for us, including our God given talents.

:whistling:

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1978

God has plans to prosper us...there are more verses in the Bible relating to money than i can count. There are numerous scriptures relating to the blessings that God has in store for us. I am currently reading a book by Brian Houston.....Hill Song Pastor - Australia - Titled "you need more money"....too many overly religious Christians view money and the benefits of it has sinful this is not true. The question we need to ask ourself iis are we a Hoarder, A Spender or a user....read the scriptures about the Prodigal son again with this revelation....you will clearly see who belongs in which catogeory. The reason why it takes longer for some people to get the finer things in life is because the fundamental principles of giving is not adhered to. Give and it shall be given unto you pressed down shaken together ...running over. The bible also gives us a clear choice...behold i place before you blessings and cursings...so do not feel guilty in what you have rather use it to benefit those that do not have and be a generous giver. I pray that you receive more as you give more.....IN THE MEASURE YOU GIVE IT SHALL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I think luxury is relative. It was not so long ago that we lived in a world where there was no such thing as the internet, and people functioned quite fine without it. With the internet now I can connect to a website made by a man in Australia in a matter of seconds. It was not long ago that doing such a thing was totally impossible. I have access to libraries and tons of information at the push of a few buttons, and it wasnt so long ago that I did not possess this power. And the funny thing is, if it takes me 50 seconds to load a website that usually would take me 20 seconds, I will start saying "this computer is so slow". Luxuries like technology have nothing to with the quality of life in general. As long as you have the neccessities. Both of my parents families did not have cars and they grew up with horses and small farms where they produced their own food. This did not make their lives depressing or less worth living. Look at the Amish, they are quite happy, as happy as anyone else out there. I have nothing against technology or people who use it because I certainly do. But it has not made life more enjoyable in all cases. In some cases it may have made us more picky. People survived for generations without these things, but we cant survive a few minutes without them before we start complaining.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/02/1988

My SIMPLe answer is...he created you and i to bless people around us with this luxeries