SteveMcqueen

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Under your rationale, God created the Earth and universe ~6000 years ago, correct? God also created the laws of phsyics did he not?

My question is this: How is it that we see light from stars which are millions of light years away from Earth? If the world/universe was only 6000 years old, then wouldn't we only see the light from stars fewer than 6000 light years away from us?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Well not all Christians believe in a "young earth" (ie; 6000 yrs old) many are open to an old earth in one way or another. The Bible never specifically says "the earth is XXX years old" - it's just how people read into and interpret things.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

If God said he created the earth, then I believe him and that's all I need to believe. I don't need to know the opinion of man, for the most part, scientists (his creation) whose only motive is to prove Him wrong. Let me tell you, the devil will deceive you as long as you want to stay blinded by deception. I'll take it by faith, thank you.

Blessings

candi

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  314
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Even the great philosophers ideas were inspired by another.

Steve Mcqueen the creation story doesn't put the earth in a particular frame of time as the days didn't start till after the sun and moon were created and the light was seperated from the darkness. I don't suppose you will except this explination, in the event that you don't, consider this

There was a fool who was working off debt to a wise man. The wise man asks him to pick the weeds in the field so they might not come up after the tilling. The fool says to the wise man, "Why do today what can be put off until tommorrow?" To which the wise man responds, "What is today but yesterdays` tommorrow." The wise man knew the fool was trying only to get out of working rather than comming up with a rational reason to cease the days activities.

A wise man speaks up because they have something to say.

A fool speaks up because they want to say something.

A note to the one who claims we are blinded by the faith we hold in God.

There is no such thing as blind faith with God. God will guide our footsteps. Also how can you atest that we are blind unless your intent is to lead us? How can you, o flawed man, lead us onto the right path without God? Surely if the blind lead the blind they shall both fall, just as the mute cannot speak to the deaf because the mute cannot even hear is own words.

Peace to you

Jay

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Steve McQueen (I like your name, by the way), you're going to have to be resigned to the fact that these people can use their cop out card of "God can do anything" whenever they want, and of course, they have it justified =S

It's totally unfair, but yeah. It's the truth.

(will get attacked for this)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Steve McQueen (I like your name, by the way), you're going to have to be resigned to the fact that these people can use their cop out card of "God can do anything" whenever they want, and of course, they have it justified =S

Imagine that.

Christians who believe that God can do anything.

Who would think such a thing on a Christian web site? :emot-hug:

t.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Imagine that.

Who would think such a thing on a Christian web site? :noidea:

t.

No, how about "imagine that: Christians totally disregarding the laws of science and answering the questions they can't with logic with the God cop out?"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Imagine that.

Who would think such a thing on a Christian web site? :noidea:

t.

No, how about "imagine that: Christians totally disregarding the laws of science and answering the questions they can't with logic with the God cop out?"

Well, I guess that settles the age old questions dealing with Christianity.

You win. We are all wrong.

Would you like to join us? :)

He won't let you down, no matter how stupid we seem to be.

t.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

I am always amazed at how people will ignore the preponderance of the evidence and allow a handful of hard unanswerable questions to stumble them.

"Who among you is wise and understanding?"

The deeper my FAITH grows, the older I get...the more I realize that I don't have all the answers.

One thing though. What I have witnessed and experienced is enough for me. I don't have to have all the answers but I have enough of them to know Jesus as Lord.

A wise man once wrote that "With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day."

Time is our concept. It establishes our finiteness. Why do we want to subject the Creator of ALL things to our concept?

What is 6000 years or 6 million years to God in His infinite nature?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/30/1984

"Under your rationale, God created the Earth and universe ~6000 years ago, correct? God also created the laws of phsyics did he not?

My question is this: How is it that we see light from stars which are millions of light years away from Earth? If the world/universe was only 6000 years old, then wouldn't we only see the light from stars fewer than 6000 light years away from us?"

First of all, your theory on creationist light is off... cause you're not paying attention to the story :thumbsup:. Now this isn't to argue the creationism or big bang right now, but stating the obvious about what the bible says, and why your assumption is wrong.

First, you assume that light years starts when

A (stars) is created

and

B (our planet) is created

and so time starts there and light must move through temporal moments to reach earth. This is a false assumption about the text. In the story, it states that the light from the stars, and the Sun is visable from earth, the very moment they come into existance. From a creationist point of view, waiting any period of time for light to reach earth is just... not reasonable.

Do you get it? I shall make a little picture =D

. <-Star [----------distance between star and earth ----------] Earth -> .

If by a Creationist view, all three points are created at once, meaning, Star, Expanse of Space, and Earth, and G-d already had the light from the Star visable from the Earth, then Time is not something the equation is subjective to. Time dictates that yes, it would take light years for light to get to earth from the Star, but that's if all three weren't created at the same time, and the effect (visable light from earth) created at the same time as well. For in that temporal moment when time is stopped, light is frozen, and it no longer travels the distance, yet light is continual in the sense that it started at one point in time, and so did the effect (visable light).

Make sense?

Now from like, the big bang theory... no that's a stupid theory... um... well there's not much else that's a plausible theory as far as I know. Nothing comes from Nothing, not the other way around, and no, don't try to do the "static energy" theory either... that's dumb too. Lol like static energy dispersing at different intervals building complex particles, and then forming objects like rocks and liquids... ya like that's plausible. First you have the problem of how "Static Energy" becomes "aggressive energy", and then how does static energy form when there's no source for the energy.

Anyways sorry I jibber jabber on so much.

I myself, don't exclude either concept of a 6 day creation, or an evolutionary process, because I think both can and do exist in harmony. Such as micro evolution, rapid molecular alteration (mutation, which is a form of evolutionary process), organisms forming resistances to harmful products to suit environment (also evolutionary function)... there's lots. But also could an all powerful G-d not employ an evolutionary process for man to be cared for in his existance? Even if the world WAS formed a few thousand years ago, there's TONS the human body had to overcome to get where it is now.

Ya.. okay done. =P

Shalom