• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/04/1955

a person dabbeling in things, could cause or allow for their desensitizing for things that are not of God....

this is like hearing a curse word, over and over and over again, pretty soon, it does not bother us...

or like seeing scantely clad people... heard guys say that women in the thong bikini's dont bother them, that they can look at them all day long....

desensitized....

a Christian should have better things to do then to be reading about witchcraft, and dark things for pleasure, if they have that much free time, why not read the Bible,

the Bible (on average) takes less then 80 total hours of reading (out loud) to get through it.... reading it silently would take less time then that....

seeing and reading on things that are not of God that might even sound good (like let the force be with you), can actually get mixed up with the things that are of God and cause falseness and confussion when it comes time to call upon the Word of God.....

one of the signs of the Holy Spirit convicting some one of something, is they become uncomfortable about it. now they can choose to ignore it and continue on, and the Holy Spirit will continue to work with them, but after a time of being ignored, the person will grow deaf to the Holy Spirit and then will no longer be bothered or be uncomfortable about what they are doing.....

the way you discribed it being handled, is not maybe the best way......

my youngest son read the first 4 books, and we talked about it, and then we talked about how they line up with the Bible, and he did the answering of the questions, all i did was ask some questions about the books, for i had not read them, and he was the one that came to the conclussion that they were no good (he was 12 at the time) for he found where, even the good people, were not doing as God would want them to.... he then placed his books up for sale and took a loss, (his choice).....

a person will do what a person will do, right, wrong, or indifferent, all anyone else can do is try to guide them, alot of times we make errors in the way we handle things...

mike

:24: I agree totally. We have become I think too much like the world and we are very desensitized. I really do not think Jesus would choose to read these books or anything that is not lined up to the WORD!! We want to be entertained not taught of the things of God. I think that is what the church even looks for when they look for a place to fellowship. Not a place for direction or to praise our Lord or to give God glory and to testify what God has done for them this week. No, they want comfort and entertainment. We need to get lined up with what God wants from us not what God can give us, He has already given everything and it is finished!!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Was that incident the reason you stopped going to Church?

Congregations need consistent doctrine and thoughtful leaders who help not hurt people. We do not need random members pulling young people aside to harp about things that they don't understand, this women had no authority to say anything to you at all and of course you found out that not knowing about CS Lewis she was basically ignorant of a major Christian author and thinker (so why would you listen to her about anything else), you probably should be teaching her.

These are the kinds of things which keep people away from church away from fellowship, worrying about Harry Potter and CS Lewis, and leaving the important things out.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/12/1964

i'm 20 years old, and i'm a christian, i don't go to church, but to each his own, anyways, i have noticed over the past few years on different boards, and chat rooms, and have even seen it at church when i went, that some christians will fly off the handle about some things, the main thing that happened with me, was 2 years ago, i was talking to my friends about the harry potter books, and movies, and a woman sitting behind me in church must have heard what we were talking about, after the sermon, she basicly pulls me and my friends off to the side of the building, and starts berating us about how evil books, like harry potter, and the chronicles or narnia do nothing but glorify the occult, and satan, she goes on like this for a few minutes, until the pastor comes to see where we went, and if anything was wrong, when he asked her if everything is ok, she tells him that me and my friends were talking about viewing satanic materials. when he asked what she meant she tells him about harry potter, and that me and my friends were talking about it, he calms her down, and takes me and my friends to his office, and said that it is every one person who is responsible for knowing the difference between real life, and fantasy, which we do, and i explained to him, that i only watch the movies and read the books is because it makes me think, and use my imagination, not because i am trying to learn spells. what i'm trying to say is just because people have an interest in things like that, it does not mean that they practice it, or want to, if you stop and think about it calmly, people just watch those movies, and read those books because it is entertaining, and sometimes educational, and that we as christians must use our heads along with our hearts to guide us. we were blessed with common sense, we know what is right and wrong, and what is real and fantasy. people respond much better to intelligent thought, and reasoning, and if we use those it would be much easier to interact with people, and possibly bring them into the faith. also i would like to add, that the next week after that, i talked to the lady, and told her about the author of the chronicles or narnia, and how he was a christian, and based the books from a christian perspective, and i am happy to tell you that she apologized for the way she acted, and watched the movies herself, and said she could see why we liked them so much. i hope you enjoyed the post, and can understand or relate to what i am saying, i apreciate any feedback.

Hi there,

We are all growing and as we grow in the Lord our consciences become more and more in tune with the truth of Gods Word. Im not saying that our consciences determine what is right and wrong...Clearly that is NOT the case...Paul himself believed with all of his heart that it was OK, even the right thing to do to persecute Followers of Christ....His conscience was seered....His direction was not based on the Truth of the Word of God.

As we grow in Christ and in the knowledge of God, our consciences are turned to line up with the truth of Gods Word. Our conscience will either commend us or convict us of right or wrong decisions. This takes time as our mind needs to be Renewed....Its like reformatting the hard drive and installing the right operating system...Just be careful what you do watch and read because your mind is the greatest hard drive of all...It will take on all data...Everything you hear, read and watch is stored, whether you are aware or not...Dont give the devil a foothold.

One more thing....YOU cannot lead anyone to Christ......It is God who saves.....No one can come to the son unless the father draws him....Your intellect and methods of reason will not save a single solitary soul.....If YOU can convince them, then someone else can UNconvince them....As Paul said, "I speak NOT with words of Human wisdom, lest the Cross of Christ be emptied of its power." The power to save is in the message of Christ crucified." Thats why noone wants to hear it....They are only too happy to listen to your reason and intellect because they can shoot it down....No man even through UNbelief can ever alter what Jesus demonstrated by going to the Cross. If you are going to preach anything at all, then preach Christ and HIM crucified. Tell them what sin IS and let the Holy Spirit do the convicting...God will save them when they humble themselves before him and repent of their sins and acknowlege the Work of Christ on the Cross for their salvation.

It isnt about a person accepting Christ...That is a false teaching....Jesus never once asked people to accept him...He told them to repent or perish.

The message of the gospel is not about a man accepting Jesus....It is the message of Gods acceptance of US through the atoning work of Christ on the Cross.

The only acceptable sacrifice to God was the perfect sacrifice of his perfect son. It is Jesus who satisfied the wrath of God. It is only Jesus who is acceptable to God...If you are not "IN CHRIST" there is NO acceptance from God. You remain UNforgiven and condemned for all eternity as an UNrepentant sinner.

THAT is the Truth that no one wants to hear. The breaking of Gods Laws required a penalty..."The wages of sin is death." For a picture of just how important Gods Laws are to HIM, you only need to look to the cross. There is also however GOOD NEWS....The other side of that promise of death, is the promise of Life.

"But the gift from God is eternal life through CHRIST JESUS our Lord." One who is dead to God through sins and transgressions must be made alive...He must be Born Again...Spiritually. The Door or the WAY to God, is through Jesus...The key that unlocks that door is REPENTANCE...

It is God who saves YOU...!! The problem with Common Sense is that it's "Common." Jesus was not Common...He was anything BUT....!!!!! You do NOT want "Common Sense"...You want Christ Sense.

Regards,

Ben.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

I think some people are weaker than others, but there are children who want that supernatural something and if they seek after it, they will find it. Not good. But it is a matter of conviction.

We are not the Holy Spirit to others. But, we better warn people if the Holy Spirit tells us to do it. We can't preach a peace, peace message to someone who is bent on hells direction. And I think that grace should be extended to those who are older and those who have those convictions, who do these things out of love: like telling us about books etc. It's like when I was away from Church for a season, when I returned, a new christian who I was ministering to for a while, started praying out loud for me that the Lord draw me back and help me to overcome whatever held me away from church. Well, I could have gotten ugly and said I was right with God but I extended grace and didn't say anything. Maybe, God was giving her the opportunity to exercise her faith. Her heart was in the right place. We christian's shouldn't bash each other and should love one another. If God wants to correct her He will.

blessings

candi

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1978

The influences of these books are sometimes suptle and should not be undermined - they effect growing children and children are impressionable . I have never read these books but i am just making a general observation that the wolve will come in sheeps clothing

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

you're eyes and ears are the port holes to you're soul! What you fill you're mind with will altimatley come out, please beware of what you place in you're mind, heart and soul. you are God's Holy temple! :th_praying:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

something that is bothering me, didnt know what it was until today,

you said you do not go to church, my question is why?

i'm 20 years old, and i'm a christian, i don't go to church, but to each his own, anyways,

do you not know we are told to gather together?

by not being part of a fellowship, the wolf can make easy prey of the sheep that is not in the fold, under the protective eyes of the shepherd.

under the watchful shepherd (Watchful, not slumbering) the sheep is well protected and its needs are provided for.

away from the flock, it has no protection and can fall into the quicksand and be sucked down, fall off a ledge and break its leg or back, be gobbled up by a wolf or lion or other preditor, it can starve.....

as far as us dappeling in things that are not of God, we tend to poison our minds..... sin is a very slow acting killer...

think about how a person would kill a dog.... they do not put a dish of poison out that does not taste good, they take the biggest, juiciest, bloodiest steak they can find, and inject it with the poison, as the dog eats it, it has no clue as to what is happening, it has no idea that in a few hours it will be struggling to stay alive to no avail, it will be over come with the poison and die a very slow death.....

as we dabble with sin, we are just begining to eat our steak, we have just taken a bite, and nothing has happened, we may even comment that look, nothing has happened to me yet, or it is ok, others are doing the same thing and nothing has happened to them either....the deception has come in and tempted us so great, we have no clue as to that which we are doing is sending us to our death.... we may not even see any signs or our life coming to an end....

there is a new product being used in pest control, for termite extermination.......EXTERMINATION..... the termites do not even have to injest it, they just have to pass through it, and when they do, it gets on their body, and it does not kill them straight away, but allows them to carry it with them through out their entire colony, even to the queen termite, and it works on them and they have no idea what is happening until they die, as others are passing through the tunnels they have passed, they also pick up this chemical, and they too, will help spread it, they do not even have to be near where the chemical was or is.... they will get it and will also die.... they have no idea what is killing them, it does not burn them, it does not hurt them where they feel it, it just soaks in and kills them..... little by little.....

sin is like that .... we get a little on us, and we will spread it, and others will pick it up, and they too will spread it...... Gossip is a good example of this, spreads like wildfire and very hard to stop.....

we must be on guard at all times..... we must have people that will help to keep us accountable... we must fellowship with others... we must share in worship and prayer together..... this is not an option.... and these boards are a very poor substitute for one on one person to person, small group and large fellowshiping..... very poor substitute....

some people are unable to go to a place and fellowship, so it is up to the rest of us to go to their homes and fellowship with them there..... some people are secluded because they can no longer move, we must be the roving church and go to them and lift them up.....

going chuch is not right....... being the church is.... not an hour or two a week, this is a 24/7/52 for life thing....

mike

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

very, very well said mike!!