Candi770

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about Elvis.

My mistake :wub::)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

:):wub:

• Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

I have not seen it yet but what made it seem to be for the womens lib movement? :)

My concern was in how they portrayed Esther. I did not mind the personality they gave her, but there were two things that bothered me:

1. She twice confronted the king about how he treated Vashti, and she was not real nice about it, either. That is not scriptural and I don't think Esther would have done that. It shows a sense of a defiant spirit in her that I don't believe was there in the Bible account.

2. When she went to see the king she walked in the court and walked all the way up the stairs to him as with that same independent, defiant spirit, but the bible says this:

"On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king

• Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I just got back from seeing this and I don't feel cheated. It was wonderfully romantic yet it had enough drama to keep you squirming in your seat till the very last. There is a quote that goes as follows "Oh what a tangeled web we weeve when first we try to deceive" or at least I think thats how it goes. The layers of betrayal and deception almost catch you off guard at one point. I think the movie will cause alot of women to reflect and perhaps more curious about the history of Jews via the Bible. The movie does not leave you feeling convicted of anything except to explore your spiritual side. In the beginning I felt as though the movie might lend itself to creating a sense of comeradery between Jews and "persians" only to find at the end that they seemed to almost flaunt the fact that Mordachai was made a prince of Persia. I felt pushed and pulled at the end and somewhat confused, as some have said, about the purpose in making a movie about this story. Ultimately the motives behind making the movie seem focussed on profitability rather than any message, but I truly hope I am wrong.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

It's a great movie and very impressive for a Christian movie. It has the feel of a real movie out of Hollywood instead of some cheesy movie. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

My husband, Rick, and I went and saw it tonight. I was greatly disappointed. I felt it was not true to scripture and that it did not represent Esther as the Bible portrayed her to be. It was sort of a woman's lib version, I think.

It did have some redeeming qualities, though. Esther was portrayed as a devout follower of God who was living an obedient life to God's calling and I felt that Mordecai was true to scripture for the most part.

Overall, we went away feeling let down and wondering what the objective was in making the film. I don't think it was put together by Christians.

I understand they have to take some liberties in filling in holes, but I feel this needs to be done with consistency to scripture, and that did not happen overall.

I guess I had read some great reviews about it and it was presented as a Christian film, so that is why I was disappointed.

It was produced by TBN's Matt and Laurie Crouch. If you've ever watched Tommy Tenney's program "Finding Favor with The King" which aires on TBN, it sets up the premise for why they felt the need to make the movie.

Though I love Tenney's premise, I think it gets lost in the script. They spend so much time and effort setting the story of Esther up, unless you are very familiar with the OT story, it's too easy to get lost. I'm fairly familiar with the story and I entered the theater just a few minutes late and struggled to figure out where we were.

I was disappointed by the fact I took my family there hoping they would capture some of the message on how to find favor with the King. (Tenney's program is on too late at night most times for them to watch it with me). Surprisingly, they liked the movie overall, but they simply saw a herione standing up for her people. Which in and of itself is a great story. I think the New Testament parallels Tenney explains in his program really bring the message in the story of Esther home. It just didn't happen in this film.

I've read many critical reviews and many give it props for the set design (which is spectacular) but most don't go beyond that with their positive commentary.

We should go to movies like this if we want to command the attention of Hollywood despite some of its shortcomings. If we don't, there's little room for us to complain when secular society caters to the almighty dollar.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

I have not seen it yet but what made it seem to be for the womens lib movement? :)

My concern was in how they portrayed Esther. I did not mind the personality they gave her, but there were two things that bothered me:

1. She twice confronted the king about how he treated Vashti, and she was not real nice about it, either. That is not scriptural and I don't think Esther would have done that. It shows a sense of a defiant spirit in her that I don't believe was there in the Bible account.

2. When she went to see the king she walked in the court and walked all the way up the stairs to him as with that same independent, defiant spirit, but the bible says this:

"On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king