blueshirt

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

We all know about the school shooting in the Amish community in Pennsylvania a couple of weeks ago. Since then, there has been a lot of attention given to the Amish and I think alot of people have become intrigued with their way of life. I am wondering how you all feel about the Amish. Do you think they have it right? They try to keep everything that can come between them and God out. They have no TV, no internet, no radio, etc. All of those things are deterants. It truly appears that God is the center of their lives. Everything they do from the time they get up in the morning to the time they go down at night is for God. The truly revlolve their lives around God. They don't just "fit Him in" once a week if they have time or if they can get up early enough to go to church. For them, it's an everyday thing. Some people say they are extreme. Maybe so. But doesn't God want us to be extreme in our faith? Wouldn't you agree that things like the TV or internet take us away from God? Or would you disagree? I am interested in knowing your thoughts on the Amish. I am impressed with them and in a way think they have it right. Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

They seem to have humility down. I would say they are an admirable lot in my eyes. Tell me what group of Christians have it all together. :emot-heartbeat:

I give them :emot-hug::21: for their meekness.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I think they have it better then we do....

they are obviously not focusing on the things of this world as much as those that are out side the communities... no TV, radio, vcr, dvd...

they are more down to earth, very welcoming into their community... we use to get milk and butter and such from them, would leave the car park long side the high way and walk up to the house...

there is a place in Yoder Ks, i like to eat, good food too.....

as far as spiritual, i do not have a clue, have not worshipped with them. they are very forgiving....

they are hard workers, very simular to the Meninites....if I was in a hiring mode, either Amish or Meninites would be my first pick, even if they did not have the qualifications.... cause they do work.....

mike

anyone else have a comment on this? thanks!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Are you lokking for the cons?

their beards look kind of funky. :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

You know it touched society that they had forgiven the murderer and are willing to help his wife and family he left behind. They said that she would always have a friend. The news people were blessed by this. I know it did me. I could have just jumped through the tv and hugged them big time. It took a while to forgive my brothers murders, and I wasn't as gracious in my open thoughts; I did finally let it go and ask God to take care of it, these people seemingly got away with it. But both men died ever simular deaths like my brother, in the same year/month of each other. My brother was a christian. This is just one example of why we should pray for our enemy; pray for mercy!!

candi

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/07/1949

I was reading a recent article in a magazine about an amish lady who left the community. Her Amish parents had disowned her for leaving the community and her father told her that he wished she had never been born.

The comment she made was "I find it hard to believe that they say that they forgive the man who shot their children, but they can't forgive me for leaving the community".

Makes you think doesn't it?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I was reading a recent article in a magazine about an amish lady who left the community. Her Amish parents had disowned her for leaving the community and her father told her that he wished she had never been born.

The comment she made was "I find it hard to believe that they say that they forgive the man who shot their children, but they can't forgive me for leaving the community".

Makes you think doesn't it?

So, the Amish can't be guilty of saying or doing hurtful things? Doesn't make me think anything other than they aren't perfect....just like me.

JMO

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

In general I have a very positive view of them. I think we can learn some things from them and their actions and how they live their lives.

However they don't spread the Gospel in any direct way. Now I think they do spread the Gospel by their actions, look at how many of us are impacted by the love that they have shown in the recent tragedy. That indeed is spreading the Gospel.

But I am called to mind of the Body of Christ needing many different things. I believe we need the Amish they have a role to play, but not all of us need to be Amish nor should be. We also need people out there teaching in public schools, voting, serving in the Military, evangelizing, all things the Amish do not do.

If you really want to see some intriguing ana-Baptists check out the Hudderites.

Well I think their main goal is to glorify God. And in everything they do, they revolve their lives around God. I don't see how voting does that. I think they are more interested inteh big picture and not so much interested in what direction our nation goes. That's a short sighted view in my opinion. They are more interested in where their souls are going to rest, not where their country is going in the next 4 years.