sport123

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What does Psalms 37:4 truly mean? If we desire something, it will be given to us. How should we take it if we have been desiring things for many years and still waiting.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

This is the same question as your Matthew one - why not combine them?

What does Psalms 37:4 truly mean? If we desire something, it will be given to us. How should we take it if we have been desiring things for many years and still waiting.

I would say that it depends on what you desire.

Some of us desire things that would hinder us in our walk.

Some desires may not be fitting for where we're at in life right now, but perhaps down the road, who knows.

I'm not saying this is you and please don't take it that way, but for some of us, our desires come from a heart that is less then pure.

The Lord knows what He's doing. He does not ignore His children. There's a reason that some of our prayers go unanswered.

I used to ask "why", but I don't anymore. He's got my back and if I'm not happy with that, I won't be happy with anything.

This probably doesn't answer your question.....it was just something that came to mind.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Psalm 37:4

Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

========================================================================

The idea here is not to "name it and claim it" as some Word of Faith teachers might say. If our heart's desires are self serving, that indicates we do not truly delight in the Lord. Nor is it about physical or material things that we might desire. When we truly delight in the Lord it means our hearts have been changed and we now desire that which the world does not understand and which we would never have desired without the regenerating work of God himself on us. But as all know sin is still in us and delighting in the Lord is never steadfast and perfect therefore while the promise of the Psalm is always there we rarely hold up our end of the bargain. The "desires" of our heart are often blessings that we don't recognize or properly acknowledge because our sin blinds us. This is a passage that if taken at face value from a worldly perspective can lead us to a wrong conclusion quickly.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

I would say that it depends on what you desire.

Some of us desire things that would hinder us in our walk.

Some desires may not be fitting for where we're at in life right now, but perhaps down the road, who knows.

I'm not saying this is you and please don't take it that way, but for some of us, our desires come from a heart that is less then pure.

The Lord knows what He's doing. He does not ignore His children. There's a reason that some of our prayers go unanswered.

I used to ask "why", but I don't anymore. He's got my back and if I'm not happy with that, I won't be happy with anything.

This probably doesn't answer your question.....it was just something that came to mind.

I think its like we are holding just a portion of a puzzle and God's got the big picture- he will work it all out.

I've had desires I've had to die to in the flesh and some desires I gave to the Lord that he later fulfilled. We just have to learn to be content with where we are in Christ and content with what we have.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  101
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  10/02/1948

There are two types of desires: those of wants , and those of needs. A needful desire of the heart would be the comfort and joy of spiritual wholeness and/or wellness. The others would be wants. In example-I want a Porche car but because God knows I can't even afford the insurance for one he gives me my need-reliable transportation that I can afford. Maybe a bad example but never the less an example. Also for years I asked God for a life-mate without finding one. The one I wanted was modeled after the ones that did not work out. The one he gave me is the perfect partner. It took a long time for him to prepare me to be worthy of her. Be patient my friend and seek the right doors.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I believe it was St. Theresa (not sure which one) who said: "God gives me whatever I want...because I want whatever He gives me".

That is the essence of delighting yourself in the Lord.

Peace,

Fiosh

:emot-highfive:

Guest Theology_Professor

You're putting the emphasis on yourself in that interpretation. That is not what is being said at all.

Follow the design of the verse. "Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." The first thing one needs to do is delight in the Lord. His desires are your desires. His will is what you will. You are not focused on yourself and what YOU want. When your heart is such set on him, then you will ask according to what he has placed in your heart and is something he would desire you to have, to be, to do. When he is truly Lord of your heart, THEN what you ask will be given. In no way is this verse a health, wealth, prosperity teaching version of creating God to be your personal genie. Therefore too, not only is ones desire changed, but what they desire changes. Both the heart and the focus. Today you may ask for a million dollars.... greed is in the heart not the desire for the Lord. Delight is a word not many Christians understand. It is more than like. It is more than pleasing. It is more than enjoyment.

Look at Jesus... he did not WANT to die, however, it was the will of God that he did. His desire was in line with God's.

If you have been desiring something for years... God could be saying no. He could also be waiting for your heart to change to be in line with his will for you. You may not be able to handle it today... 20 years from now, maybe. Continue asking only if the Holy Spirit guides it... not if you want it.

We can influence the Lord, but better yet, let him influence you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I believe it was St. Theresa (not sure which one) who said: "God gives me whatever I want...because I want whatever He gives me".

That is the essence of delighting yourself in the Lord.

Peace,

Fiosh

:24:

YES! :emot-highfive: