• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yup . . . after all the whining about how cruel the Republicans have been to our troops by leaving them in Iraq, a key Democrat announces that their actual solution to the problem should be to reinstate the draft. :th_praying:

Oh yeah.

Is this was the country voted for? :th_praying:

You can read all about it here: Key Democrat Wants to Reinstate Draft

(Yes, I'm biased in my opinion . . . but this is rediculous!)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1965

How very odd....

The dems say "Pull out of Iraq" "Pull out of Korea" "Stay out of other peoples fights" but less than a month after they are voted into the majority they say "We need more boys and girls to send out to die!"

Fact is, an all volunteer force is more effective than a force pressed into action against their will. That is why our "All Volunteer" force is the best in the world.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Charlie Rangal has been tossing this around for years, and he has tried twice before to get this passed.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Rangel is an odd duck, isn't he? However, in my experience conscripts make good soldiers when put under fire, and in the harshest conditions. They are NOT 'career soldiers' and seem to realize the sooner they get the job done, the sooner they get to go home.

Never underestimate the abilities and the guts of our young people!

For the first time EVER, I find myself agreeing with Charlie Rangel.... IT'S THE LAST DAYS!!!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Wasn't he the one calling "stop-loss" a back door draft program? He said his reason for calling for the draft was to discourage lawmakers from calling for war. He said, if there was a draft, then the politicians would think twice before sending their own kids to fight. I wonder where Michael Moore stands on this.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My frustration is over the fact that the Democratic Party had been crying for so long that the Republicans were going to reinstate the draft.

Now it's the Dems trying to reinstate the draft. :)

Yeah, six months ago, if a Republican had pushed for the draft, the Dems would have been in a furor.

bur now that the Dems are coming into power and they propose the draft, suddenly it's a wonderful idea. :whistling:

personally i don't think the draft is necessary, although it may become a necesity if ROTC programs continue to be dropped in schools, if brochures and pamphlets and recruitment days continue to be banned from schools, etc. etc.

i'm very proud to have a daughter who voluntarily is serving in our marine corp, who willingly sacrificed 7 months of her life to spend it in iraq. she serves our country because she believes in it, not because she's forced to do it.

The "Democrats" didn't introduce this bill.

Charlie Rangel did...as has been said, he is only doing it to make a point.

A good point it is....If those who support this war are really for it, they should be willing to sacrifice their own family members as much as they are willing to sacrifice my family members and all the others who are serving.

katyann, the title of the thread is "A" democrat proposes an iraq plan. is he (charlie rangle) or is he not a democrat?

now you say a good point is that if those who support this war are really for it, they should be willing to sacrifice their family members yada yada.

i support this war. and IMO, whether the person next to me supports the war or not, they should be willing to allow others to support it if they wish... even if that means their own son or daughter is willing to sacrifice everything to go serve in our military. i have one daughter who chose to serve, and another who chose NOT to serve. i support BOTH of their decisions and think each of them made the choice that was right for them...

so a better point is that both those who don't support this war AND those who do, should not force their own choice on the next person. that means that if a person is willing to die for their own country or for the country of iraq, or any other country, nobody should tell them they're wrong. and by the same token, nobody like charlie rangle should try to force his own agenda or try to make a point by submitting a bill that would force a person to take such a risk when they don't want to.

in other words, those that don't support this war should not be willing to risk the lives of innocent civilians in the event of another 9/11 or even innocent iraqi's at the hands of a brutal dictator by criticizing or in any way impeding those who do support it.

It's necessary to the extent that the same people are having to go to Iraq over and over and over.

It's necessary because our military does not have the manpower to send in enough troops to get the job done properly.

Our soldiers need some relief.

many of our soldiers want to be deployed again. my daughter asked to be redeployed to iraq and her request was denied. so based on that, i'd say that your assumption is not entirely correct.

katyann, i believe that ALL of our soldiers VOLUNTEERED to serve in the military, and therefore they made a choice knowing they may get deployed in a time of war.

do they all want to be in iraq? of course not. did they all go voluntarily? YES. and that is something that even those who didn't want to go to iraq need to step up and take responsibility for. nobody drafted them, they signed that dotted line of their own free will.

don't give me the baloney that they joined believing our nation would not send them into harm's way without proper whatever. for one thing, i believe there WAS proper reason, and i won't argue the point. i believe they'd have the proper equipment if certain political groups didn't block the necessary funding for the equipment.

the bottom line is, every single person in the military KNEW the risk that they could be deployed in a time of war and that was a risk they willingly took. they didn't sign the line with a condition that they would only serve in war if they agreed with the reasons, they signed agreeing to go if they were called.

it was choice. and that is the point. if charlie's bill was to pass, our sons and daughters would likely be forced into service WITHOUT that choice. surely you don't support that.