OneAccord

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

Would anyone be interested in doing a study with me on the Lord's Prayer?

I would like to do a line by line, word by word, study of the Lord's Prayer.

We could start with "Our Father". :il:

There are just worlds of meaning in every part of this prayer, and it is the blueprint for all prayer.

I will start by posting my thoughts and musings on "Our Father" as soon as I get some time. Right now I better go cook dinner :laugh:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Don't know how much I can add to it, but I'll be here!! Great idea!! :laugh:

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

I would like to see a study on this, sounds like a very good study.

Our Father

I take that as a reminder that He is not just my Father, but the Father of all mankind. When I say Our Father I have to consider that even those that rub me raw are His children and when I treat one of His children unfairly or with anger I am in fact sinning against Our Father.

In Yeshua's love

Teri

Here are few definitions of the word Father that I believe that would be appropriate to this study:

1) A man (in this case God not man) who begets or raises or nurtures a child.

2) A man who creates, originates, or founds something.

3) a god.

4) a Church Father

5) to procreate

6) to act or serve as a father (a child)

7)To create, found or orginate

8) To acknowledge responsibility for

9) to attribute the paternity, creation, or origin of

• Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Well, I just found a little time to post while the little ones are napping. Please bear with me as I don't have lots of time for the computer as I am a busy mother, wife and babysitter.

OUR FATHER

When we speak these first two words of the Lord's Prayer, we are calling Him, invoking Him, inviting His presence. We are crying out to Him.......Whoever calls on the Lord will be saved.....

When someone is in the other room and you wish to speak to him, you call out his name. We are asking God for His attention........

We are preparing to send forth our prayer from our place here on earth into the heavenlies. We are asking Him to incline His ear to us, to bend down and heed our voice.

Hear us, Father!

OUR

This word "our" reminds us of the collective church, that it is not only "I" but "we" who seek Him. We are a part of a fellowship of believers and this Lord's Prayer is to be the heartcry of all of us. Let us never forget all of our brothers and sisters in the living church! We are brothers and sisters in the family of God. "Our" is one another, we are to love one another, carry one another's burdens, pray for one another.

"Our" signifies that this is a universal prayer, for all believers, not a private prayer about our own personal needs, but a public prayer for the entire church. Pray this prayer earnestly for ALL your brothers and sisters around the globe.

FATHER

God alone is our Father, the Patriarch of patriarchs...Do not call anyone on earth your father, for One is your Father, He who is in heaven Matt 23:9

What a privilege to call God our Father! And if we are to call God our Father, then we are His children, His little children.

JesusisGod2 looked up the definition of 'father' and we see a lot of shades of meaning to this word (My definitions are from Webster's):

* A man who begets a child (Our God the Father begot His beloved Son Jesus)

*The founder of a race or family (Our God founded the race of man by creating Adam, the first man. He also founded a family of faith through Abraham)

*One who exercises paternal care over another

*A guardian, a protector

*An originator (God is the originator of everything! Without Him there is nothing! The word 'Genesis' describes this aspect of God the Father)

*A prototype (We are made in His image! He is the prototype of mankind!)

Fatherhood carries the image of responsibility, authority, provision. The most ideal image that we can concieve of a model earthly father, the perfect dad, God is all of that and more!!!!!!!

We can look deeply into this word that Jesus gave us to use to call on God at the beginning of this prayer and discover much about who God is. To be able to call Him Father is a special gift! And if God is our Father, and Jesus is His Son, then that makes Jesus our Brother!

And because we are told to call Him Father, then we are His children, His sons and His daughters.

Galations 4:6 And because you are His sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!"

I looked up child in Webster's as well, and part of it's defintion is this:

"One of crude or immature knowledge, experience, judgement, or attainments."

Does this describe us or what?

Childlike:

"meek, submissive, innocent, dutiful"

As His children we must yield ourselves to His Fatherly authority in our lives as He raises us up and trains us....we are to be childlike in His presence, when we pray this prayer....

Or do we tend to be....

Childish:

trifling, puerile, ignorant, silly, weak.....

From just these first two words of the Lord's Prayer you can get a taste of the deep things of God hidden within this potent prayer.

Please post comments and further insights into OUR FATHER before we continue.

Teri and Jesusisgod2: You are right on track with your insights so far! I look forward to this journey through this prayer with you! You'll never recite it by rote again! Understanding this prayer will give it power when you use it.

Holy Spirit, teach us, guide us, direct us in our search for the deep things of God! Be with us in this study and help us to use it as a tool for Your highest purpose. Help us to sharpen this sword, make it living and powerful in our hearts. In Jesus name we pray this prayer. Amen

Amen Sister,

Wow! thats some powerful stuff there.

I will seek more on this tonight from God and post in the morning of what He has shown me.

In the meantime I cant wait to see more of what others see and post as well.

This is going to be a great study!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

This is a good study topic One Accord.

It is important to note that Jesus did not just say, Our Father, but He said, "Our Father which art in heaven." This gives us a clear understanding that the God of all creation has called us His children. We are acknowledging Him as Lord over our lives; the One who always knows best as we humbly submit ourselves to His Lordship.

Our earthly fathers may fail us. But the one we call Abba, Father will never fail us. With Him all things are possible. So when we go into our prayer closet and embrace Him as Our Father, Abba, we are surrendering our total trust into His hands.

We can call Him Our Father because of what Jesus did at the cross.

"To redeem them that are under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts crying , Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no longer a servant, but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God THROUGH Christ." Galatians 4:5-7

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

very good one accord :blink:

To say Our Father is to acknowledge him as our Father and to proclaim him to be a Father of many. It is a term of Love and respect. When we say Our Father we are acknowledging we have Brothers and Sisters also. :il:

FATHER

God alone is our Father, the Patriarch of patriarchs...Do not call anyone on earth your father, for One is your Father, He who is in heaven Matt 23:9

:blink: Amen Sister we know we have but one Father no one else can have that position. Once we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savor we are born of Spirit and our Father is now God.

All praise The Ancient Of Days