Marnie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

btw......that's not a spurious argument; it's a relevant question.

Spurious: false, sham, bogus, mock, feigned, phony; meretricious, deceitful

Yes, it is a "false," "bogus," "phony" argument, since we have the plain Word FROM G-d on the subject. Another verse worth remembering:

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.--Ps. 119:89

You can do all kinds of exegetical gymnastics, you cannot avoid G-d's settled Word on the issue.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I used to tout capitol punishment until several years ago a nice young lady at work asked me if it was so important that we use capitol punishment then why didn't God kill Cain.....

I'm still trying to formulate a good answer....

Another spurious argument. There was NO law given at that time, therefore there could be no punishment. When Noah and his kin left the ark, G-d gave this command:

Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.--Gen 9:6

Now murder is a crime with a punishment. I have yet to see that punishment revoked. Now you have an answer for that nice young lady at work!

Guest shiloh357

Could you please list book chapter and verse for capital punishment in the NT ?

That's a spurious argument; there are many things the Church holds to that are not in the NT. G-d's admonition to Noah was way before the Law, and I am NOT referring to the "eye for an eye" statement. Capital punishment is Biblical. The only Christians who dont see that are either ignorant or put the whims of society above the plain Word of G-d.

So, are you saying that:

1. there is no support for capital punishment in the New Testament?

and

2. all Old Testament laws are to be followed literally by the church today?

The New Testament does not contradict or abrogate the OT at any point. The NT does not have to come out one way or the other because both OT and NT are the Word of God equally. The New Testament does operate from, nor does it claim to operate from higher or different moral standard than the OT. The New Testament does not repeat the commandments against a man sleeping with his daughter or daughter-in-law. It i does not repeat the commandment against other kinds of immorality, but we see fit to follow those commandments despite the fact that they are not found in the New Testament. The whole Bible and not just the New Testament, is applicable and relevant in one way or another for the modern Christian, and that can be easily demonstrated.

When the pharisees brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus, He did not argue with them concerning the punishment of stoning for adultery. However, there were mitigating circumstances in this particular case that allowed Jesus to legally defend her, while not violating the precepts of the Torah, or ignoring her sin.

The point is not that ALL OT laws to be followed literally by the church, but that the moral code upon which those laws are based is universal. It is not immoral to enact the death penalty. Those who say it is, must explain how their position is morally superior to the God's.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I did not have an ulterior motive for asking that question nor did I wish to ignore the OT.

I simply asked it in view of Christ's new teaching which takes judgement away from us and places it in the hands of God who is the only Righteous Judge. Surely Mat.5 / 6 / 7 bring in a whole new understanding.

Btw , we are here speaking of a muslim country and it's ex-ruler, what right have Christians to interfere in their country ? We shoud not even be there much less be involved in the execution of Saddam. Are Christians not supposed to quietly mind their own business and trust in God ?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I did not have an ulterior motive for asking that question nor did I wish to ignore the OT.

I simply asked it in view of Christ's new teaching which takes judgement away from us and places it in the hands of God who is the only Righteous Judge. Surely Mat.5 / 6 / 7 bring in a whole new understanding.

Btw , we are here speaking of a muslim country and it's ex-ruler, what right have Christians to interfere in their country ? We shoud not even be there much less be involved in the execution of Saddam. Are Christians not supposed to quietly mind their own business and trust in God ?

Christians? Mind their own business? What? This is the world! It belongs to all of us. We, as believers in the Most High God have a command to follow: Go into all nations and preach the gospel to EVERY crreature.

The world and its salvation is our business. The attitude that we are to coccoon ourselves away is just anti-Christian. You aren't trusting God if you aren't obeying Jesus.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Is that how we are to preach the Gospel ? Send in an Army , de-stabilize the whole country and become responsible for hundreds of thousands civillian deaths and ultimately execute their leader ? You think this is what Christ has in mind for Christians to do ? So where does turning the other cheek fit in ?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Is that how we are to preach the Gospel ? Send in an Army , de-stabilize the whole country and become responsible for hundreds of thousands civillian deaths and ultimately execute their leader ? You think this is what Christ has in mind for Christians to do ? So where does turning the other cheek fit in ?

There are many ways the Lord works...He is over government. Why wouldn't the Lord be heavy-handed with such an evil regime? He loves those people of Iraq and why wouldn't He use those from a government who "basically" recognize Him to fulfill a purpose?

Bullies need to be stopped and their control wrested from them. I would stop a bully in the playground with force too, if I had to.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,840
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

How can the Good News be given in an islamic dictator regime whose dictator murders his people in mass numbers, shredding them up in shredders, hanging them up with meat hangers, using electric shock, gouging out their eyes, using acid to keep them in line? Your idea of love for your fellow human being cannot be coming from the Gospel of Christ.

Turning the other cheek does not mean standing by and watching while millions are being slaughtered when free governments and people everywhere, who will answer to God, can stop it.

By:JOEL C. ROSENBERG

www.joelrosenberg.com

Friday, December 22, 2006

RECORD NUMBER OF EX-MUSLIMS CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR: Spiritual revolution underway in Mideast

More Muslims converted to faith in Jesus Christ over the past decade than at any other time in human history. A spiritual revolution is underway throughout North Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia. As a result, a record number of ex-Muslims are celebrating Christmas this year, despite intense persecution, assassinations, and widespread church bombings.

During the writing of Epicenter, my wife and kids and I lived in the Mideast for three months. During that time, I had the privilege of interviewing more than three dozen Arab and Iranian pastors and evangelical leaders throughout the region. The picture they paint is one of Christianity being dramatically resurrected in the region of its birth. A snapshot:

Iraq: more than 5,000 new Muslim converts to Christianity have been identified since the end of major combat operations, with 14 new churches opened in Baghdad, and dozens of new churches opened in Kurdistan, some of which have 500 to 800 members. Also, more than 1 million Bibles shipped into the country since 2003, and pastors report Iraqis are snatching them up so fast they constantly need more Bibles.

The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. Luke's Gospel 4:18

Must admit that, after viewing VERY graphic videos of Saddam's torture machine, even in respect to his own soldiers, I am inclined to think that there is evil in the world, which can also be disguised in the figure of an helpless old man

Why, oh way, is there such evil in the world???

Just one thing, though, Tmrfiles.....you refer to 'my wife and kids'...yet on your profile is a picture of a woman.

:emot-partyblower:

Please elaborate...if only for my sake :emot-partyblower::emot-partyblower:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Then do you oppose when rapists are sentenced to prison?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

Do you have any facts to go along with your claims? "hundreds of thousands civillian deaths?" The greatest number I could find was an estimated 40,000. "ultimately execute their leader?" I was under the impression that he was tried, convicted, and sentenced by an Iraqi court.

"de-stabilize the whole country?" Can you provide a source to show that the country is less stable today than it was under Hussein?