IGNORED

Vatican Spokesman Denounces Execution

Marnie

Guest shiloh357

Could you please list book chapter and verse for capital punishment in the NT ?

I did not have an ulterior motive for asking that question nor did I wish to ignore the OT.

I simply asked it in view of Christ's new teaching which takes judgement away from us and places it in the hands of God who is the only Righteous Judge. Surely Mat.5 / 6 / 7 bring in a whole new understanding.

Btw , we are here speaking of a muslim country and it's ex-ruler, what right have Christians to interfere in their country ? We shoud not even be there much less be involved in the execution of Saddam. Are Christians not supposed to quietly mind their own business and trust in God ?

Being quiet and minding our own business refered to our lives as citizens in our repsective communities. Christians were also told to hold gainful employment to earn their keep, and to be good citizens in their communities.

Jesus did not revoke the death penalty. Matthew 5-7 does not remove or cancel out anything in the OT. Jesus did not take judgment out of our hands, because it was never there in the first place. Furthermore, your view fails to take into account that God often uses human agency to enact His judgments upon the wicked. God often used surrounding nations to judge Israel.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

We were buzy being quiet in early WWII and the cost of our silence was measured in millions of lost lives. Silence or inactivity can be a great evil.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I see that we could argue back and forth night and day so I will leave it at that.

One day the Lord will settle all our differences, may that day not be too far off !!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Beta -

I mentioned this in another thread, but the shortened version is that when Jesus spoke about turning the other cheek after being struck on the right cheek, He was referring to how to handle someone insulting you, or in modern lingo being a jerk towards you. (To be struck on the right cheek was a form of demeaning insult). Jesus was not saying we should let ourselves get beaten up by a thug.

Likewise, there is no mention in the New Testament against the actions of the government - apart from when Herod killed the babies of Bethlehem. If you read the history of the time, you should be aware that the Romans crucified criminals constantly, even in Israel (what they called Palestine). Yet Jesus nor the apostles nor John the Baptist ever decried "Roman justice."

The commands in the New Testament are about personal vendettas, not about punishing muderers et al.

The Bible is actually very harsh against thieves, liers, murderers, rapists, etc.

Btw , we are here speaking of a muslim country and it's ex-ruler, what right have Christians to interfere in their country ? We shoud not even be there much less be involved in the execution of Saddam. Are Christians not supposed to quietly mind their own business and trust in God ?

The US involvement in Iraq was not about Chrisitans interfering with a Muslim country. It was strictly a national secular issue. I am refraining from delving into what national secular issue(s) that was, for I know we are not all in agreement over the issue. If you believe it wasa Christian issue, you will need to offer substantial evidence for this. If you knew anything about the US military, you should find out pretty quick it does not operate very Christian - and you can begin with their language. :wub:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

If you check back on posts you will find someone else making it a ' Gospel-preaching ' issue. I never mentioned the reason for western interference. I know well enough it was not religious.

OK. :whistling:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

Hearkening unto the Vatican with its long history of doctrinal make-up (new tenets added as the occasion may warrant); open immorality re "popes" of The Renaissance who didn't even pretend to be moral leaders (mistresses, ie, Pope Alexander VI); the powerful Roman Inquisition supressing dissent; forgeries, ie, the Donation of Constantine; all these and much more underscores the fact that power does indeed corrupt, and undue papal power has corrupted the Roman church.....to the extent, in our books, that when the Vatican denounces one of the keystones of judicial structure - the elimination of convicted mass-murderers - it comes across with all the credibility of a dried fig. Purely a reducto ad absurdum.

GOD BLESS THE USA!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com