• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

I give up

yes, I said it.. I give up..

Forget I even said bible versions!!! That was just the best example I have.. the most recent actually.. about last month or the month before that while babysitting.. we stayed up until 12:30 am discussing this... This was the time that someone has said this to me that I could actually stand up for what I believed, and not chickedn out.

I tried talking to my art teacher in ninth grade abotu what Christ has done and how we are not saved by works, but by Christ alone... She told me I woudl have a mental breakdown about the age of 20 where I quesiton everything and I will figure thigns out for myself then. That was dealing with salvation. Should I say round two???

I love you all, but I didn't mean to get focused on the bible versions...

Crystal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist

Don't you dare give up!

Witnessing in school to your teacher, that takes a lot of chutzpah! You've got guts girl! I never would have done that in school, I don't even do that now. Totally spinless here. . . :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Bib

Crystal,

There are times when it is appropriate to "agree to disagree." Witnessing is not one of those times; discussing different versions of the Bible may be. It is okay to stand firm in your convictions on such issues as the version of the Bible you prefer, but standing firm does not mean that you need to argue your point to death. When the other person continues to disagree, and you have both made your points and are now going around in circles, you can simply just say that you've made your point, and that you'd like to move onto a different discussion.

In the case of witnessing, every person you witness to will be different. Sometimes, you just have to be firm in what you say, but then leave the situation to the Lord. You may not be the one who will reach that person. That person may die without coming into a relationship with God. Those can be difficult things to accept, but it's reality. Accepting that you may not be able to reach someone does not mean that you agree with them, or that you're not standing firm. It means that you're giving it the Lord and acknowledging that He is the One who saves, not you.

Again, share from your heart; share how Christ has changed you; share the amazing things that He has done. Be firm with the important things, but don't let pride get in the way.

Guest iamtoowill

Well, greetings.

Hopefully this is the same Crystal that wrote this message. As for the people saying that you are such and so you must remember that you are to enter into the kingdom of God as a child. Remember that there were those that did not like the fact that the child came to Christ. It was told to them to allow them to come unto him. As for the different versions of the Word, there are so many out there. A good version is the King James Version. When compared to the NIV, one book points out that verse for verse, entire meanings are omitted from the NIV version. I believe the book is called, IF THE FOUNDATIONS BE REMOVED.

There is alot of miss information out there. Some of us have been taught growing up and later on find out even more information. What is most important is obedience. Whether as a child or as an adult. Obedience is a showing of Love. I fasted, but did not pray as I should have, for the last 5 days. Tonight, I decided to eat for the fist time and will go back on the fast. The amplified version of the Word is a good aid in studying the King James Version. One suggestion I would present would be to not give your flesh what it wants, food(at least in intervals that you can handle). You will see how the Spirit of God is able to reveal to you all truths, that what He hears is also yours. Be patient

I guess the topic title kind of explains it, but to put it simply, I"m tired of people telling me I am going to change my mind on various theological or even philisophical issues... How do you tell a lost person, and even a Christian, politely and respectfully you are not going to change?

For instance, I was having a discussion with someone about the different versiosn of the bible... I had just taken a class on it, and she finally resorted to that I am such and such an age, and that I shoudl give it ... 'ten years" and I'll "come to realize that you can use other versions of the bible and just ask the Holy Spirit for guidance". For this thread, I am not asking people's beliefs on matters such as different versions of the bible, but how do I tell someone I"m having a discussion with that I am not going to change from what I know is the truth, to something that I know is not. What I want to tell someone is that I am not going to fall so far away from God that I'll accept that adultery is okay, or that it is okay or steal, or that I can use other versions of the bible.

I refuse to change from Baptist to anything else because I know it is right and want nothing to do with going to a church of a different denomination.. I have done that a couple times and was miserable... I need to find out how to tell someone politely (lost or saved) that I am not going to change my beliefs becuase I know it is right.. they say I"m young, well.. i've been on some form of a medium sized road (not quite a long one, but a road for sure)... Why shoudl I change from the way I have been raised in church? My dad parents aren't forcing me to do anything with religion, in fact... they basically want nothing to do with religion or God...

I refuse to accept what I know to be wrong, as right.... How do you tell someone that without offending them? If I say I won't change becuae I know it's wrong.. they'll say "Oh, you're still young. Give it some time. I used to think the same way you did. Give it say 10 years." I want to tell them I hope I never fall so far away from God that I such a thing! But I need nicer terms. Any ideas?

Crystal

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

okay.. I promise to be good this time :thumbsup:

Look.. I don't go and tell someone when I'm talking to them "I am not going to change my mind"... I wouldn't say that... many times, they bring it up to me that I will change my beliefs in this area and in this one, I won't... The thing is, that one especially with the bible one, i was praying so hard that the Lord woudl just give me the words to speak and help me know what to say..

The problem came, however, when the person I was discussing with kept bringing it up Over and Over that I woudl change my mind someday to what she believes... and it has come up in smaller ways since then... I don't mind them saying it all that much, but it woudl be nice to know what to say to that... To tell someoen politely and respectfully that I know something is true based on the word of God. It was a very informative discussion, a huge blessing.. that one part still urks me because I've never had the audasity to stand up when someone said that...

I do'nt know what to tell someone when they say my beliefs in such an area will change.... yes, the purity of my bible means as much to me as those "universal truths" that adutlery and stealing is wrong. If I offended someone somehow by my previous statement with that, I am sorry... I'm desperate from find an answer to this before it comes up again.. if it does..

I don't want to change from being Baptist.. I don't want to change from beleiveing that the KJV is the pure word of God, I don't want to change that one has to be saved before Baptist (Acts 8:37) and I dont' want to change that one has to "be good" to get to heaven (Eph 2:8-9)... I dont' want to change other theological things such as that that I have been taught and firm about.

Mind you, over the past few years MANY things have changed... as I learn more and continue to learn more (Lord willling)... as I read his word, hear his word preached! Take classes in bible institute and, prayerfully, go to a Christian husband! What I am trying to say is there.. there are certain foundations that are not going to change in my life, and if they do... I will probably be in a sad pathetic spiritual state. Now can I say that to someone? You really can't... don't want to either... that is why I started this thread...

To find out a good way to tell someone that you can't change in that particular area becuase you ahve strong convictions from the Holy Ghost (for sure) as to what is right and what is wrong...

Thank you :thumbsup:

Crystal

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Kitty lover, some folks just don't have strength of conviction you have. I'm glad you're sensible enough to hold on to things you know are good. I don't know what you can say or do more than what you are already doing. People who get where you are coming from will get it, and others won't.

It took me many years of searching before I found the church group (GARBC) that really fits what I read in the Bible, and I love it so much. I wouldn't want to change for anything.

Kitty,

Just to add a footnote here (and many have already pointed it out)..if you find an area say for instance the difference in a moral issue..you can simply say..We can disagree on this but let's talk about..and change the subject.

Be careful, in standing on your convictions, that you do not comne across as legalsitic. Let me explain that a different way. Many people complain about ministers living in an ivory tower where everything is black and white and there is no grey. In the real world, and even amongst our best scholars there are disagreements over issue..some important..some not.

We have to know both sides of the coin (not necessarily experience it) to get our message across whether it is a version of the Bible or an opinion based on something other than scripture.

That's my 2 cents worth

Guest Biblicist

:thumbsup: Praying for you always, in all things. :thumbsup:

I think I know who you may be talking about and I think the best thing for you to say is, "OK, how about if we wait and see? I will continue in this path and I would love to continue this conversation with you later and if I do change my mind you will be the first to know. AND I promise you can say " I told you so." :thumbsup:

What will it hurt, really, if they believe that you will change your mind. The only thing that matters is what you believe in your heart about the Lord Jesus Christ. Right?

This is not an easy situation because I do not know of any time when Jesus was told, "someday you will change your mind about who you are." :th_frusty: I do suggest you read Timothy though. I think it's appropriate for you.

Love, :)

Bib

:24:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:thumbsup: Don't you just love how more people are interested in pushing doctrine than helping you develop character!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Tell them;

"I think it's just wonderful that you are so strong in your convictions, please know that I am just as stong with mine. I cannot change my mind by what man leads me, only God can do that. Pray for me as I continually seek knowledge."

That ought to do it.

If not, tell em to shut up and mind their own business.

:24::thumbsup: