SwordOfTruth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I would totally disagree with your statement that most great men and women of God in ministry are blessed by God financially. In fact I would say that in the US it is almost the inverse.

Wow. That is quite the statement. First, you have to establish a definition of what a great man or woman of G-d is. Second, according to Marnie's definition, great men and women of G-d don't recognize that they are great men and women of G-d. Third, don't despise wealth just because you (that's the editorial "you") don't have it, and fourthly, don't look askance at those of whom you would deem as "wealthy," as though have somehow we sold our souls to acquire it. Wealth is generally earned; it has very little to do with anything supernatural; G-d's providential care excepted, of course. To me it is remarkably simple: you reap what you sow, if you sow hard work and effort, you reap the benefits.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It's all down to faith, people. Servants of God who are gifted with faith and are obedient to God's will for their lives--we see them taken care of by God in all areas. I have seen God's blessing on many a leader, but the ones I know are not ostentatious about it. Why? Because they have humility and their walk with God is even.

Guest christismysavior

Wealthy FROM the Gospel? OK, but God will bless people who are obedient in what He calls them to do, even if it is preaching. sometimes that blessing is wealth. why? Because God trusts the person to give it freely.

I am not sure exactly what you are getting it. The purpose of faith is not material benefits and God certainly did not institute tithing to make wealthy men out of smooth talking preachers.

I don't think that's what she's trying to say...I think she's just saying that sometimes God will bless those who serve Him with wealth, in order that that person can be a blessing to others

Yes, I was. I always jump on any inference that people who are in ministry are deemed well-off FROM purveying the gospel. The truth is that most great men and women of God in ministry are blessed by God financially in addition to other blessings, because they are trustworthy to God. He deems them worthy of multiple blessing, because He can trust them to use it wisely for kingdom business.

How much money is too much though. I would hope that those in ministry would recognize that the money they make is basically for spreading the word of God and helping others.

Here's some interesting statistics. I don't neccessarily think that these salaries are too much as long as the money is being used wisely and not for material gain.

Senior Pastor $64,266 $111,052 73%

Associate Pastor $44,741 $71,000 59%

Music Director $37,682 $66,581 77%

Business Administrator $32,443 $60,080 85%

Secretary $22,614 $29,493 30%

http://christianzine.com/modules.php?name=...icle&sid=23

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

OK God blesses people financially if they obey him? What about drug dealers? What about crooked accountants/lawyers?

In Christian households and unbelievers households there are those who have financial wealth and those who struggle. From what I've seen Christians are not necessarily wealthier than the unbeliever. Also those who are poor are often not less obedient than those who are wealthy. Unless I've missed something.

Paul addresses the (wealthy) Corinthians how the poverty afflicted Macedonians helped him with their generous giving. It wasn't the rich who gave.

2 Corinthians 8

Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia;

How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.

For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;

Whether financially well off or in poverty, I don't think reflect our position with God. Often the poorer Christian can relate better to the poor nonbeliever who is in need of God's Grace and likewise the wealthier Christian can relate better to the the wealthier nonbeliver. God's purpose for our life should come first.

We are all rich in Christ. He has forgiven our sins. He has given us eternal life.

I don't think anything is wrong with being rich but idolising money is wrong. Putting anything above God is wrong.

Also lets not forget Paul funded most of his ministry by being a tentmaker.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Thanks those are all great points .

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Me thinks that "Money is not the root of evil - the love of money is the root of evil." As for me and my household we will trust the Lord. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are free all you have to do is die to self... but true joy, peace, love, etc cannot be bought. I have frequently told friends, don't confuse happiness with the HS gift of Joy.

Now there are some who "blab it and grab it" or "name it and claim it" - and then there are people like me who plan to have a UHaul following my casket to the crematorium - that should get friends and relatives to cry. :rolleyes:

Seriously, in my opinion God is the owner - I am the steward - He gives to whomever He pleases. Me I want to be a funnel - if you take and put the lid on it riches can destroy you.

Nuf Sed

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Actually it's "the root of all kinds of evil." But good post :rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It's all about surrendering of the will.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

Wow. That is quite the statement. First, you have to establish a definition of what a great man or woman of G-d is. Second, according to Marnie's definition, great men and women of G-d don't recognize that they are great men and women of G-d. Third, don't despise wealth just because you (that's the editorial "you") don't have it, and fourthly, don't look askance at those of whom you would deem as "wealthy," as though have somehow we sold our souls to acquire it. Wealth is generally earned; it has very little to do with anything supernatural; G-d's providential care excepted, of course. To me it is remarkably simple: you reap what you sow, if you sow hard work and effort, you reap the benefits.

If you are a rich pastor, and that is all you do, then you got rich off of tithing. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy. However, its just plane blasphemy to someone claim that there is nothing wrong with becoming rich off of selling Christianity. If you want to live like a king, then you should seek out another profession other than being a pastor. Someone dies of starvation in this world every 2 seconds. Every million that say a guy like Pat Robertson pockets out of the 700 Club is enough to prevent tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of children from starving to death that otherwise would. God did not institute tithing to make pastors rich. That money is to help the less fortunate and spread the Good News.

I do not know what kind of parish some of you guys on here go to, but the parish I go to is a very wealthy one. It is a medium size church that brings in well over 2 million a year. The majority of that money goes to various anti-poverty, community, and mission programs. Despite the huge amount of money our church brings in, our senior rector gets a middle class salary. That is the way it should be. Jesus did not suffer and die on the cross to create a get rich scheme for smooth talking pastors.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I would totally disagree with your statement that most great men and women of God in ministry are blessed by God financially. In fact I would say that in the US it is almost the inverse.

But that has nothing to do with people who peddle the Gospel for millions and millions of dollars. My point was simply that getting rich from selling the Gospel of Christ is heresy.

How can anyone read the story of the rich man and Lazarus and think it would be okay for a minister to make several million dollars a year and keep most of it, live in a mansion, drive a Bentley have private plane?

Certainly some make more some make less and this is the free market which works pretty well not perfect but pretty well. There is nothing wrong with that system scripturally. But if you mean by reaping what you sow, that you would make more money, this is simply false. Christ calls many for example to be teachers, policemen, firemen, soldiers, social workers, or caregivers. Those people, who choose to enter those fields, can work as hard as they want, and they will never reap what Ken Lay made in one week of work, yet Lay's work was worthless drivel, a bundle of lies, and these people actually do something for society. This is true for a good portion of corporate America and Wall Street.