• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

In my times with God, both private and in the corporate body, I tend to pray liturgical prayers. I have come to "own" the prayers written by men more astute than I, and (especially the Lord's prayer) more mature than I. I have really grown through my times with Him. I was interested what others think about liturgical prayers. (I am definately not saying that praying what is on your heart is bad or wrong by any means)

peace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

I say them of course during the liturgy at church, and when we say grace, we generally say a standard prayer. However, when I pray about something, its generally more of just a conversation I am having with God rather than anything standardized.

Liturgical prayers are good though because they get us in the habit of praying for things that are not just our own personal wants and interests.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm coming to appreciate the value of routine prayers. (Morning prayers, evening prayers, meal prayers, etc.) I was raised under a "freedom in Christ" belief about prayers - pray whatever whenever. Well, I still believe we should do that - pray whenever for whatever, and especially when listening to the Spirit pray what He gives you. But it is good for us to discipline ourselves in regular prayer to get us focused, to proclaim the word of God, to remember a heart of purity.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I think that as long as we mean what we say, even if it's a prayer written by someone else, it is from the heart. :laugh:

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

They have positive effects. They are fine as long as they don't become the normative leading to an extreme measure since I would assume that at least in some such cases such repition could turn into robotic impersonal recitation and nothing more. From the heart is what counts the most. As long as one's heart is poured out it's all good.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

In my times with God, both private and in the corporate body, I tend to pray liturgical prayers. I have come to "own" the prayers written by men more astute than I, and (especially the Lord's prayer) more mature than I. I have really grown through my times with Him. I was interested what others think about liturgical prayers. (I am definately not saying that praying what is on your heart is bad or wrong by any means)

peace

Hi CSLewis,

I pray routine or liturgical prayer's myself in Church and as you say some Godly people have formed paricularly beautiful prayer's which I like to use in my quiet personal times, although I do ask the Holy Spirit to lead me in prayer when I have something thats really bugging me or something I particularly need to share with the Lord. I have also formed the habit of completing my set times of prayer and contemplation with the Lord's prayer. Hope that sorta makes sense :laugh:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Free prayer is the highest form of prayer, but most people are not so glib of tongue that they can pray long in this 'Mental Prayer.' So pre-written prayers can be very helpful.

A couple of hundred years ago, most devout Christians spent some time praying and fasting and meditating, and then wrote out their own 'liturgical' prayers, getting the wording exactly as they wanted them, and then used these for years and years. I think this practice is probably preferred in most instances to the 'authorized' prayers of the 1979 BCP.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I have never done any liturgical prayer. Prayer is personal and from the heart. I find that when it is composed within the heart of the one who is talking to Father God, that is what blesses His heart the most, otherwise it can take on the taint of religiosity. We should run from that. I am not saying that everyone cannot partake in liturgical prayer, but generally, original heartfelt prayer and petition is what God wants us to foster.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

When one agrees in their heart with what is being said, it becomes personal to the person praying.

I think it would be a good idea to have a section for litergical prayer on the forum for those who appreciate them. Members who are personally blessed by them can post so others can benifit. What think?