Marnie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

A former youth pastor was sentenced to death Wednesday for killing a teenager and her fetus in what is believed to be the first such order in Texas, the nation's busiest death penalty state.

Adrian Estrada, 23, was convicted Friday of one count of capital murder for the death of Stephanie Sanchez and the fetus, of which he was the father.

"This is a significant case," said Bexar County prosecutor Susan Reed. "This is significant for the state."

A 2003 Texas law amended the definition of the word "individual" to include an "unborn child at every stage of gestation from fertilization until birth."

The death sentence is Texas' first in the death of a fetus, said Dave Atwood, founder of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, which monitors capital cases.

Sanchez, 17, was three months pregnant Dec. 12, 2005, when her body was found in her family's home. She had been choked and stabbed 13 times. During the trial, DNA evidence was presented to show Estrada was the father.

Estrada, a former youth pastor for a church, admitted to the stabbing the day after the killings. Prosecutors also said he worked out at a gym and went shopping after the crime. He showed no emotion when his punishment was read.

"The bad guy that you don't suspect is the one that you can't protect your loved one from," said Scott Simpson, Bexar County assistant prosecutor. "And that's what he was and that's what he is."

Estrada's attorney, Suzanne Kramer, had argued that her client made bad decisions.

"It that enough to execute him? Is that enough to kill him?" she asked the jury.

According to the Web site of the National Conference of State Legislatures, at least 36 states have homicide laws defining a fetus as a person.

AP

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Oh, man, I can hear it now. I'm surprised we haven't already heard from the ACLU (The Asinine Chuck the Law Union), the feminists, Democrats, pro-abortionists who have to deny it's a baby in order to justify killing it, and who else.

If it's worthy of the death penalty for killing it, why not just call it what it is--a BABY.

Guest Biblicist

Wondering where the abortion laws will go from here. . . :th_praying:

Wrong for a man to take the life of his unborn child, but not the woman?

I can hear the argument now, "The reason the woman died in the process was because there was no 'safe' way for the man to terminate the pregnancy." Sound familiar?

There was a "couple" on Dr. Phil. She lied to him and said she could not get pregnant. . . on the pill or some such thing. Then she got pregnant and filed for child support, she won! He had no say in whether or not she kept that child. Of course, he could have kept the whole thing from happening by just staying away from her. DUH!

This is getting interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/09/...in1385124.shtml

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

"It that enough to execute him? Is that enough to kill him?" she asked the jury.

yes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

yes.

I personally don't agree with the death penalty, but I do think he should land in prison for a double murder, especially if he knew the woman was pregnant.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

it just keeps happening over and over .....

in the papers today there was a story about a 2yr old who froze to death cos she was locked outside. i think this happened in pennsylvenia or something.

*sigh*

:)

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

This should be expected. In ancient Pagan cultures, it was customary to kill unwanted children after birth. Materialism is essentially a pagan belief (though they admit to no god, they treat nature as god) and placed zero value on human life. This is the culture's main view, and because of this, more children will die.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I'd say it's a step in the right direction. If we can make the killing of a developing baby a punishable offense, then we are on the right path to eventually outlawing all forms of infanticide. But, I do see a double standard. Men are being punished for killing developing babies while women are allowed to continue aborting them without the father's consent in many cases.

But, if a man had beaten a woman and she miscarried, I don't know if he'd be as severely punished for it, than if he were to kill the mother as well.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Oh, man, I can hear it now. I'm surprised we haven't already heard from the ACLU (The Asinine Chuck the Law Union), the feminists, Democrats, pro-abortionists who have to deny it's a baby in order to justify killing it, and who else.

If it's worthy of the death penalty for killing it, why not just call it what it is--a BABY.

:P ditto