IGNORED

attemtp to explain the oneness belief

Guest tiggr

Before I begin I would like to say that I was raised Southern Baptist for the first 18 years of my life. It was 3 years later before I ever heard of the oneness doctrine and it was 8 years afterward before I started attending the church that i now presently attend. THis post is to help anyone here to understand the beliefs of the oneness people and that we are not a cult. If you were to read the websters dictionary definition of the word cult it could actually be applied to every religious group that there is. Enough said on that topic.

I know that according to the trinitarian belief God is one but made up of three seperate/distinct persons/forms or conscience. Some say that The Father and the Son both have a human form and the Holy Ghost is a spirit others say that only the Son has a human form, there also those who say that there three Gods that make up one Lord. There are numerous variations in this belief.

Now I will do my best to give a general account of the oneness belief. The oneness belief is that there is one God and that He manifested Himself in three ways or roles. God is the father in that He created all things and that He created the human form that would be known as Jesus Christ ( we do not deny the Father as some would have you believe) God manifested Himself in that human form, in the flesh as Jesus Christ as the Son so that we could be redeemed through His death, burial, and resurrection. The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of God that dwells inside of the believer as the comforter.

Once again we are not a cult, there is no brain washing or anyone telling you what you can or can not do but there are some bad apples in every tree is there not?

As I said this is just a basic run down if any one has any questions I will do my best to answer but I refuse to take part in an argument. If you do not agree with what has been said then go look at another post because there is no need for any name calling or insulting, this post was written to give an understanding to those here that would like to know more about it not to start a debate

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Bless you,

This thread has been moved to Controversial Issues. It is a more appropriate forum for this discussion.

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

"Oneness" is Sabellianism or Modalism. One God, one person (Jesus) in 3 impersonal offices. Can be Christian if they affirm the Deity of Christ.

Mormons are tritheistic (3 gods). They also believe the Father has flesh and bones (non-Christian).

JWs are Arians denying the Deity of Christ and the personality of the Spirit (non-Christian).

Trinitarianism: the majority view of Christians through the centuries...ONE GOD revealed as a triune being with 3 personal distinctions...Father, Son, Spirit.

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

Hi Tiggr,

I myself attend an Apostolic church, and they believe in "Oneness" and bring some pretty good ideas and scripture to the table. They are Pentecostal background.

Now I myself still believe in the "trinity" as it is called. Now I do see alot of where they are coming from, but have not been able to get past this verse of scripture in Daniel 7:13-14

verse 13 "I saw in the night visions; and behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him before Him"

Verse 14 "And there was given Him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations and languages should serve Him His dominion, which shall not pass away and His kingdom which shall not be destroyed"

These verses clearly draw attention to two distinct beings, the Ancient of days and one like the Son of man. and the one refered to as the Son of man is clearly Christ.

I have heard a great explaination of the trinity as follows:

Take a loaf of bread and slice into 3 seperate parts, its still 1 loaf of bread, and each third consist of all the same ingrediants.

what are your thoughts?

In Jesus

Kevin

And by the way, I in no way think that the church I attend who believe in oneness, is a cult either. although we definately have some disagreements, we all love Jesus and lift Him up.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I think this is a matter of doctrinal questions. Please continue there. Have fun!

Guest Calamity

Hi tiggr. I have a question. When you said this: "God is the father in that He created all things and that He created the human form that would be known as Jesus Christ ...", do you believe that Jesus was "created", or always was, as God always was? I know that some believe that there was a time when Jesus was not... in other words, that He did not always exist, like God. There is an old belief that says something similar - but can't remember the name of it offhand.

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

Great question Sister!

Is that your dog with the ear to ear grin :wub::blink:

Guest Calamity
Great question Sister!

Is that your dog with the ear to ear grin :wub:  :blink:

LOL, yep. That's my baby. I thought about putting a small pic of all 4 dogs on there, but that might be too much, LOL. (EDITED to add, that I did put the other pups pics here. At least for tonight, then remove them. It's a bit too much, lol)

I can't remember what that belief was/is called, but they will not say that Jesus was created, but still say "there was a time when He was not". It is from waaay back, and is called Semi-something. I'll have to look it up again to find the word. On another board there was a person who believed the oneness doctrine and she was saying the same thing, that there was a time when Jesus was not, yet she said he was not created. I never did understand it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  891
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Calamity - Very cool pics sis ;) nice one!

Oneness :o Well I must move in the wrong circles cause I have never heard of this 'Oneness' thing you are all discussing here. I never knew this type of group (not sure what the right term to use is) even existed till reading this thread...I thought on skimming it that you all were talking about our oness in Christ and as believes lol...

Sheeeeeesh I'm kinda gulliable and not very knowlegable :P Ronette and Yodette will tell you that, but that's another thread.

Oneness ;):P:P

Okay continue on....just thought I would interject with my thought...not that it was very intelligent but...Oh sheeesh I'm babbling.....later all....

F1 *walks away scratching head mumbling to herself 'oneness? hmmm oneness?....*

Guest Calamity

Thanks, Faith. I'm going to take them all off after a little bit, except for Jessie. It's a little bit toooo much for a sig., LOL.

Oneness, well, I need to look up what I was talking about. I read into it but it was a pretty long time ago, and can't remember what I'm wanting to remember, if that makes sense, lol.