ayin jade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

So essentially, what this guy is proposing (which has no chance of passing). Is that a public record be created for every abortion in that state of Tennessee that identifies the woman who had one. That way anyone, whether it be members of that woman's community, church, employer, college, or future employers, can dig into this woman's past and see if she has had an abortion before. Just a big modern day scarlet letter. In fact, I would suspect that some of the more extremist pro-life groups would then probably compile those public records and create blacklists of women who have had abortions, readily available to anyone.

That is just plain fascist. You would be hard pressed to come up with something that is more un-American.

Look, most people really want there to be fewer abortions in this country. However, instead creating some modern day scarlet letter to brand every woman who has one with, the answer is to address the causes of unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Lower poverty rates, lower teen pregnancy rates, and less pregnancies out of wedlock equals far fewer abortions.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

So essentially, what this guy is proposing (which has no chance of passing). Is that a public record be created for every abortion in that state of Tennessee that identifies the woman who had one. That way anyone, whether it be members of that woman's community, church, employer, college, or future employers, can dig into this woman's past and see if she has had an abortion before. Just a big modern day scarlet letter. In fact, I would suspect that some of the more extremist pro-life groups would then probably compile those public records and create blacklists of women who have had abortions, readily available to anyone.

That is just plain fascist. You would be hard pressed to come up with something that is more un-American.

Look, most people really want there to be fewer abortions in this country. However, instead creating some modern day scarlet letter to brand every woman who has one with, the answer is to address the causes of unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Lower poverty rates, lower teen pregnancy rates, and less pregnancies out of wedlock equals far fewer abortions.

What about the dignity of the life that has been snuffed out (mostly for convenience), and maybe put in a trash bin?

• Thumbs Up 1

What about the dignity of the life that has been snuffed out (mostly for convenience), and maybe put in a trash bin?

I understand your concern, I just don't think that creating a big modern day Scarlet Letter is the answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I noticed you left out sex out of wed-lock (as the cause for unwanted pregnancies in the first place). :thumbsup:

Sin breeds sin. Violate God's way in on aspect, have to violate another of God's aspect to cover for your consequences, . . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Face it. Most abortions are done for convenience' sake by women who are old enough to know better.

Face it...not ALL abortions are done for convenience sake....and that has not even been taken into consideration by the people proposing this.

But Cymba, this is the mentality that says: "Well, since someone, somewhere might be allergic to black eyed peas, WE MUST BAN BLACK-EYED PEAS!!"

Or "Somebody is sure to get hurt with a gun someday, so lets ban guns." Why stop there? Ban the automobile, the elevator, all knives and forks, and rocks--after all, who hasn't stubbed their toe outside? For that matter if you go outdoors, someone is eventually going to be hit with lightening; WE MUST BAN ALL GOING OUTDOORS!!!

Please THINK, don't legislate with your FEELINGS!!!!

Question for Forrest: Is there one--JUST ONE--righteous, good, holy, moral, Christian cause you DO support????? So far on every issue I've seen, you have taken the exact opposite tack of the 'sensus fidelum.' This fact speaks volumes about your religiosity........

• Thumbs Up 1

i think it's sad that in our society, so many are more concerned about the reputation of the mother than the life of the child.

the aborted "fetus" is still a human life, and deserves a record of its life just like the rest of us.

about that scarlett letter thing.... most people who've had abortions don't hide the fact anyway. and very few people who know someone has had an abortion thinks any less of them. and i honestly can't think of anyone who would go looking up death certificates to find out if a woman has had an abortion.... in fact, depending on how it was written, it may not even be possible since a death certificate wouldn't be issued to the mother, but to the child.

and also, it could be done in a way in which all death certificates of aborted fetuses became a part of the mother's medical record rather than part of the public record, which would provide the mother with privacy.

there's plenty of ways this could be done. and it SHOULD be done.

I noticed you left out sex out of wed-lock (as the cause for unwanted pregnancies in the first place). :thumbsup:

Sin breeds sin. Violate God's way in on aspect, have to violate another of God's aspect to cover for your consequences, . . . .

Well let me get my magic wand out and eliminate all sex out of wedlock.

Question for Forrest: Is there one--JUST ONE--righteous, good, holy, moral, Christian cause you DO support????? So far on every issue I've seen, you have taken the exact opposite tack of the 'sensus fidelum.' This fact speaks volumes about your religiosity........

Yes Leninard, there is, but I don't think that big brother authoritarianism is a decent, holy, righteous and moral Christian cause.

i think it's sad that in our society, so many are more concerned about the reputation of the mother than the life of the child.

the aborted "fetus" is still a human life, and deserves a record of its life just like the rest of us.

about that scarlett letter thing.... most people who've had abortions don't hide the fact anyway. and very few people who know someone has had an abortion thinks any less of them. and i honestly can't think of anyone who would go looking up death certificates to find out if a woman has had an abortion.... in fact, depending on how it was written, it may not even be possible since a death certificate wouldn't be issued to the mother, but to the child.

and also, it could be done in a way in which all death certificates of aborted fetuses became a part of the mother's medical record rather than part of the public record, which would provide the mother with privacy.

there's plenty of ways this could be done. and it SHOULD be done.

I have never had anyone tell me that they had an abortion, or known anyone to advertize it. Death certificates by definition are public record. You cant institute a law like this without creating a big modern day scarlet letter for women who have had abortions and that is the intention behind such a measure.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I noticed you left out sex out of wed-lock (as the cause for unwanted pregnancies in the first place). :emot-handshake:

Well let me get my magic wand out and eliminate all sex out of wedlock.

So, how do you propose "lower[ing] teen pregnancy rates, and [decreasing] pregnancies out of wedlock"?