IGNORED

Egyptology..a no no!

Guest HIS girl

When I committed my life to Following Christ in 2001, I was talkig to a woman at my Church who loves reading like I do, when I mentioned my interest in Ancient Egypt, she was quite sombre and basically told me it wasn't a good thing to do.

Well, being a new Christian, I thought I had been "doing' the wrong thing.

Now, I know there is nothing wrong with having an interest in Ancient history(Egypt being firmly in that arena).

When I started reading the Bible, I was literally enthralled with ...ANCIENT HISTORY unfolding before my very eyeballs..fascinating..

I am very careful now, when I speak to new Believers, NOT to scare them into thinking they are doing wrong, especially when they are NOT.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

When I started reading the Bible, I was literally enthralled with ...ANCIENT HISTORY unfolding before my very eyeballs..fascinating..

your eyeballs eh? :)

my brother says that, if you like splash water in his face or something....he screams "OH!! MY EYEBALLS!!"

but anyways, you are right. when i was a new "serious" Christian, i was told not to do many things (e.g. listen to rock). looking back now, not all of those things were wrong.

i understand that people mean well but sometimes we just over do it and cross the line.

your eyeballs eh? :b:

my brother says that, if you like splash water in his face or something....he screams "OH!! MY EYEBALLS!!"

but anyways, you are right. when i was a new "serious" Christian, i was told not to do many things (e.g. listen to rock). looking back now, not all of those things were wrong.

i understand that people mean well but sometimes we just over do it and cross the line.

:huh:

Bones in the nose, rings on the toes.......so what?

What it is..... Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!

" For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified." 92 Corinthians 2:2)

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I enjoy it as well! :huh: Actually, that's a good thing since I'm co-owner of a site that, until a couple of yers ago, was the official site of the Tourism Department of Egypt. :b: We still carry the site, but unofficially. Actually rather odd that a little ole Texas town promotes Egyptian tourism. :thumbsup:

When I was able to go to Egypt a couple of years ago, I was amazed at the antiquities. To imagine myself walking where Joseph, or Moses walked, was humbling. I saw the panels that depict the raid of the "sea people" which at least one Egyptologist quesses could have been the Israelites.

I have studied ancient Egypt for many years now, and I always come back to the same conclusion; Modern man still has many unanswered questions.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Go Get em!

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

When I committed my life to Following Christ in 2001, I was talkig to a woman at my Church who loves reading like I do, when I mentioned my interest in Ancient Egypt, she was quite sombre and basically told me it wasn't a good thing to do.

*laugh* That doesn't even make any kind of logical sense. Some people's "logic" absolutely astounds me.

I have studied ancient Egypt for many years now, and I always come back to the same conclusion; Modern man still has many unanswered questions.

I agree!

I have always thought that there is alot of info from the hieroglyphics(?) and other ancient Egyptian scripts, that has not been revealed to the general public for the purpose of debunking the Bible. There is an agenda in some of these "revealed" archeological finds as opposed to the deliberate hidden finds that could give the Bible credibility to atheists, since atheists NEED "proof" that doesn't originate from the Bible. I truely believe this is the case with Egyptology. A hidden agenda.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I used to love ancient Egyptian history, ever since I was a kid. Interest has died down somewhat since then, but it's still a fascinating place, especially, as was mentioned earlier, in thinking about Moses and Joseph.

Edited by heartofstone

I think is the first time that I've read someone else's opinion that the information to support the Bible events is there, it's just not being shown to everyone, for fear that it would prove even one story in the Bible. That's a good idea about it. I thought perhaps that it might have just been that after their Pharoah's death, the Egyptians and whoever succeeded him, just erased that account themselves. I mean, I don't even think it would have been recorded. The reason for that is that either in scant research I've come across, or even a tv program, they've said that the Egyptians tended to erase history whenever someone in their past had embarrassed or upset them. Often, kings, I think, would erase hieroglyphics of previous kings. They seemed to have done it to at least two Pharaoh's that I've read about: Hatsepshut, the woman who became Pharaoh for some many years, and then Ahkenaten (sp?), the heretic king. They destoryed his city, or at least relocated it, after he died. That made me think that perhaps if anyone had written about how the Israelites' God had defeated those of Egypt and then caused its whole? army to perish under the Red Sea, then someone might have just forced that bit to be taken out. It's not a very flattering account of might Egypt, imo.

I used to love ancient Egyptian history, ever since I was a kid. Interest has died down somewhat since then, but it's still a fascinating place, especially, as was mentioned earlier, in thinking about Moses and Joseph.

It IS thought provoking and once again with the erasing of previous Pharaohs names, once again, that is what we have been TOLD....When the names and tombs were dessicrated, we are told it was done in antiquity..Will we ever know for sure?

I have read by some modern archeologists, that the actual time line of the Egyptian Kings could in fact be in error. And with the names..many Kings in Egypt had multiple names, so in regards to the Pharoah in Exodus, his name could quite possibly be recorded in Ancient Egyptian text by another of the Kings names.

When you had WOMEN who ruled as Pharaohs and actually were carved as wearing the royal plaited beard, all is not as straight forward as "they" would have us believe......

Because of the confusion with the Pharaohnic time line, I have read it could be Achenaten as the Pharaoh in Exodus...funny his tomb and mummy has never been found....

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Yes, thats quite correct about the Pharoah's re-writing history. They were a jealous bunch, and changed events via heiroglyphics, to put themselves in the best light. They exaggerated victories and spoils of war. They totally erased past rulers' accomplishments. They even disfigured their statues and ornaments, abandoned their temples and some even totally moved capitols of the country. Besides all that, each pharaoh had his own gods, forsaking the former ruler's choices. What a time it was!

And, that is one reason the bible is so very unique! The bible gives us people with real failings, real problems, real defeats. It doens't change history to make the king look better. We get the real deal. Real people.

I find it truly interesting.