• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Welcome to worthy

I too have a parent who only calls when she needs money. Living 4000 miles away doesnt help with keeping distant with her. Both my sister and I vent with each other and pray with each other for her. Here at Worthy, will you find sisters in Christ who will listen and pray with you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Personally...I wouldn't refuse to help them, but I would do it in other ways that don't incliude just giving them money hand over fist.

Some ideas:

Pay their car insurance (make a cheque out fully to the auto insurance place, don't ever give them the money personally)

Occasionally pay their health insurance premiums.

Buy them groceries whenever you come around. Actually, since you don't come around too often, maybe look into finding a group that does grocery hampers. I'd originally thought Gift Cards for Safewy that you could just mail, but only do that if you don't mind them buying smokes with them.

Anyway, you get the idea...you can help them pay for things without giving them the money directly. I'd say that would be the way to go.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Hi Jess,

And welcome the WB. I agree with others. I definitely would not give them money. They could quit smoking and going to Vegas. I can somewhat relate to you. My Dad is in his 80's now. He was in the KKK, bootlegged whiskey, was head of his Masonic lodge, etc. He is a very materialistic and cold-hearted man. I think my mom was a good person at one time, but I feel like he pretty much broke her spirit. Now she acts strange. I have moved to another state. I honestly visit as little as possible and call as little as possible. I feel like I do better when I spend less time around them. That may be a bad attitude but it works for me. The Bible says to honor them. I try to be nice or civil when I do talk to them. I just don't talk to them much. I hope God does not consider that to be dishonoring them.

After you visit your parents, do you feel better or worse? Do you feel kind of like your spirit has been tainted? I usually feel worse after visiting my parents. Anyway, I will pray for you and hope things work out for you. God bless.

James

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

Jess:

I don't know if you are still around but I pray you are. I had similar but different situation growing up (violent physical abuse by my dad) but what I have noticed as an adult and especially since going into Ministry is that many many people carry a lot of burdens, disappointments, anger, etc... even into their service in Jesus Christ as Ministers and Preachers let alone the many more who are in Christ as members of His Body. I have prayed and sought for answers and requested of God for wisdom to deal with each and every situation in helping people with these things as well as my own healing I needed.

What has come forth is one answer with multiple steps and necessities of fellowship in Jesus Christ. What I noticed most throughout all you post is that you still have pain and disappointments left over and enforced by some of their still current ways. We cannot change anyone, not even our spouses or children to be totally honest and, let alone our parents. The "Changing" is still up to God in Christ Jesus though we would love to help Him along!

But, if one reads the Word in total honest and open heart, we see that every Word written is to be taken inward on a Personal basis and never was meant any other way. This is hard and not easy but, a necessity. It is necessary for our healing and wholeness to go forth onto the "next Glory" in Christ "from glory to glory". Jesus said that if we have "any ought" against anyone, we need to rectify that lest we are not heard nor our gifts of Praise and Prayers are falling on "cutoff ears". We have to come to a place of total forgiveness of everyone (parents too) unconditionally and that as God does for us; with forgetting all past trespasses. There is no other kind of forgiveness. When we do this, being open and willing to forget as well as forgive, look out! I am serious and speak from testimony, He will take it away and fill Himself back in in immense and overflowing proportions!

Money is not the issue, their souls are. You have said they do not believe and I can tell you that except they ever see a Loving Light of Jesus beaming past all disappointments and pain and trouble, they probably never will. Give or don't give them money as your Spirit is so guided by Christ, none of us has that right to say. The bigger issue is Souls with Jesus. And our own souls that they not fall into trappings and snares of satan who loves to keep those things in a person's heart that he can throw up in our face disappointments that have not even come.

If he can "roar like a lion" in our faces long enough knowing what is already inside of us to "prick at" with his roaring, then he will devour us.....by us being consumed in petty grief and anger and all things against the nature of He who saved us, Lord Jesus.

These facts are true for every situation we will ever face. Be strong in His Word and in prayer and He will direct your feet on His path and talk with you openly and clearly and you will know the Wisdom of the Lord in not just this matter but, in all matters.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Welcome Sister!

Bless your heart!

Post like crazy until you get to 30 posts (I think), then get the "special" password and hole up with your sisters in their girls-only club house.

These are a great bunch of ladies head-over-heals in love with Jesus.

They will take good care of you and your wounds.

Love, Joe

Welcome to Worthy sister and I look forward to meeting you in the ladies lounge. It is hard for those who have been raised with abusive parents to know how to have healthy and proper relationship with their parents when they become on the other end of things and I this struggle myself. So you are not alone in your struggles as I will lift you up in my prayers

loving blessings

:b:

OC