• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The trouble is "the lie mixed in with the truth."

If you were to dissect The Secret, you actually do find Biblical principles.

"Think on these things..." for instance.

Or replace the words "positive thinking" with "faith," and it's spot on.

Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

The danger though with The Secret is its power source. With The Secret, you are your own god.

You change your own destiny. You control your own fate. You make life happen for yourself.

The fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist

Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

The danger though with The Secret is its power source. With The Secret, you are your own god.

You change your own destiny. You control your own fate. You make life happen for yourself.

All information is like that. You take the good with the bad, keep what you can use and discard the rest.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

My mom has pretty much bought into the Secret.

I live my life by the guide of the Holy Spirit. In all my ways, I acknowledge Him, and He makes the paths before me straight. That's straight from Proverbs. We can choose to direct our own lives, or we can choose to live by the commands of God, and He will lead us.

Back to my mom: Last year, as I have mentioned several times, I made a list of requirements for a mate to keep myself from falling for a man that does not meet up to certain standards, most of which were based on the Bible. I did not do it for the purpose of finding a mate as I was newly divorced; it was just for the purpose of protection. However, not long after making the list, I met a man that fit everything in the list. My mom (a Christian that often gets side-tracked with super-supernatural) told me that I put things into motion by making that list; thereby fulfilling the universal "law of attraction". However, I know that it was all through the leading of the Holy Spirit, and I also know if I did not make that list, I never would have recognized the immense value of the man I am with now, and probably would have rejected his pursuance.

In summary, it was not super-spiritual gobbly-gook, it was God. I took the steps I needed to in order to insure I obey, and He laid out the path for me.

Guest shiloh357

All information is like that. You take the good with the bad, keep what you can use and discard the rest.

No all information is not like that. The Word of God is absolute truth from beginning to end. I don't have discard any of it. I also have the Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth.

So why would want to refer to an inferior source?

The book's premise is the problem. The premise is humanistic, a Neb pointed out. Satan is very good about using and subverting Scripture as this book does.

Better to just stick with real truth and not some lame book that Oprah recommends.

Doesn't God's word tell us that at the name [mention] of Christ, evil or the devil will flee? How can you have a book that mentions Christ but is evil, unless He is mentioned in a negative light?
Actually that in a song. The Bible says "resist the devil and he will flee from you."

In Acts 9, the seven sons of Sceva used the name of Jesus and they were beaten and wounded by a demon. It is when the name of Jesus is invoked with authority that it has power over demons.

The names Jesus and Christ are used in the New Age movement but they refer to a different Jesus.

How can you have a book that mentions Christ but is evil, unless He is mentioned in a negative light?

:24::th_praying:

Matthew 24

4. And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Matthew 24

23. Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

2 Corinthians 11

13. For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Guest Biblicist
No all information is not like that. The Word of God is absolute truth from beginning to end. I don't have discard any of it. I also have the Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth.

So you live by every single word that comes from the Bible? Or do you only live by what applies to you?

So you never read any books other than the Bible? If you live by the Word of God as superior [which it is] and everything else as inferior, then you would never read any other book, including History.

:cool:

Honestly, have any of you actually seen the DVD or read the book?

Guest Biblicist

I live my life by the guide of the Holy Spirit. In all my ways, I acknowledge Him, and He makes the paths before me straight. That's straight from Proverbs. We can choose to direct our own lives, or we can choose to live by the commands of God, and He will lead us.

Back to my mom: Last year, as I have mentioned several times, I made a list of requirements for a mate to keep myself from falling for a man that does not meet up to certain standards, most of which were based on the Bible. I did not do it for the purpose of finding a mate as I was newly divorced; it was just for the purpose of protection. However, not long after making the list, I met a man that fit everything in the list. My mom (a Christian that often gets side-tracked with super-supernatural) told me that I put things into motion by making that list; thereby fulfilling the universal "law of attraction". However, I know that it was all through the leading of the Holy Spirit, and I also know if I did not make that list, I never would have recognized the immense value of the man I am with now, and probably would have rejected his pursuance.

In summary, it was not super-spiritual gobbly-gook, it was God. I took the steps I needed to in order to insure I obey, and He laid out the path for me.

Frankly that is exactly what they are talking about, they may lable it something else but that is exactly what they mean. You had something specific in mind you wanted, even went so far as to write it down, and it came to pass.

The only difference is that you claim it was God and they never say that. The difference is that you KNOW the one who helped you, and they do not. Maybe it's time to introduce the two.

The things we tell ourselves, "I can do it!" or "I'll never be able to do that." Have a lot to do with our success.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

Frankly that is exactly what they are talking about, they may lable it something else but that is exactly what they mean. You had something specific in mind you wanted, even went so far as to write it down, and it came to pass.

The only difference is that you claim it was God and they never say that. The difference is that you KNOW the one who helped you, and they do not. Maybe it's time to introduce the two.

The things we tell ourselves, "I can do it!" or "I'll never be able to do that." Have a lot to do with our success.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable

Guest Biblicist
The basic premise of being lead by the Holy Spirit is to seek God first, and in all our ways acknowledge God, and He will direct our paths. What is the basic premise of The Secret? Is it to seek after God or is it to seek after what we want and to apply the "universal law of attraction" to get those things? That is such a huge difference.

I think you are forgetting one important thing, Xan. People who do not know God, can't claim it's God that is guiding them. They are seaking for an answer. They are coming up with the best they have. That's why we are commanded to go, teach.

I did not put anything into motion by making the list. I still would have met him regardless, but I doubt I would have recognized his value if I did not make a list of the Godly principles that should be present in a husband. So, it wasn't about some supernatural new age "Secret". And yes, I claim that it is God because in all my ways, I acknowledge Him.

Really? I think you did. You created a list, decided on a clear path, and were able to recognize what God was showing you when it came along. What do you think would have happened if you had made that list in the first place?

We can't just sit in our recliners all day and wait for God to bring things to us. We have to do something..."If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

:cool:

Guest shiloh357
QUOTE (shiloh357 @ Dec 5 2008, 01:34 PM)

So you live by every single word that comes from the Bible? Or do you only live by what applies to you?

No. I am a Christian. I actually believe the Bible:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

(2 Timothy 3:16)

All of Scripture is applicable to me even if it is not culturally relevant. I don't discard parts of the Bible but keep the other parts, like you have to do with "The Secret." The Bible is absolute truth and I receive ALL of it.

So you never read any books other than the Bible? If you live by the Word of God as superior [which it is] and everything else as inferior, then you would never read any other book, including History.

I didn't say I don't read other books. The Bible is the only books that serves as a guide for my life.

The Secret is set up as a book giving spiritual life advice. I choose for the Word of God to solely occupy that station. If you feel that God's Word is not good enough by itself, and you need more help than what the Bible alone can provide, then so be it.