• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,867
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  228
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

We can celebrate the day someone dies if they are saved ...my son's funereal was a celebration of the blessings we had from his life and a celebration of the fact that he is safe with Jesus now :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

The bible does not say celebrating birthdays is a sin but it says

The day of death is better than the day of one's birth , Eccl.7 v 1.

How come man does exactly the opposite by celebrating birth and lamenting death ?

You know Beta, I think we should get the context of what is written in Ecclesiastes.

As far as I know (which isn't too far) this book is all about Vanity.

He is asking hard questions such as ...

There is nothing new under the sun(1:9)

What profit has man from all his labor? (1:3)

What is crooked cannot be made straight (1:15)

as it happens to the fool it also happens to me (2:15)

and so on .......

At first glance the book is about Whine rather than Wine, isn't it?

Is this what God wants of us? I doubt it very much, and I'm sure there are scriptures somewhere for it.

For instance, what would compell Yeshua to turn water into wine at that wedding in Kana?

It also says somewhere that the fruits God has promised us include Joy

So this book is not a recomendation for being miserable. There is a lesson to be learned here (in another topic)

And along with that comes the celebration of birthdays. A child is born. God created us to have children. Shouldn't we rejoyce over it?

The fact that birthdays are hardly mentioned in the Bible doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate them, for if that was the case we should never fly planes, build skyscrapers or chat in forums either, or even read the Bible!! Did you know, the word "Bible" doesn't appear in the Bible?! So does this mean we shouldn't read the Bible?

If it's true that some say celebrating birthdays is a sin, I would think they need to re-read God's word.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I think it's atrocious how lavishly some parents celebrate their kids' birthdays, and the money they spend. Even with young kids who are too young to remember, and it's really a chance for the adults to party big time. I think this may be offensive to God.

Guest Biblicist

The bible does not say celebrating birthdays is a sin but it says

The day of death is better than the day of one's birth , Eccl.7 v 1.

How come man does exactly the opposite by celebrating birth and lamenting death ?

I think you need to remember that Solomon wrote that in a state of senility and probably depression. That verse is not making a doctrinal statement.

I agree with that statement. The day of one's birth is the first day on the earth, a life spent full of strife, struggles, temptations. . .

The day of one's death, assuming that you are indeed a Child of God, would mean the first day of the rest of eternity free from strife, struggles, temptations. And in the complete presence of God.

For me, to live is Christ, to die is gain! Philippians 1:21 I don't think Paul was depressed when he wrote that statement.

I agree Beta, we should celebrate one's passage from life on earth to eternal life with the Saviour.

Guest Biblicist
I think it's atrocious how lavishly some parents celebrate their kids' birthdays, and the money they spend. Even with young kids who are too young to remember, and it's really a chance for the adults to party big time. I think this may be offensive to God.

kat, what about parents who tried for years and years to have a baby then God miraculously blessed them with a child? I can see their desire to celebrate hugely the incredible gift God had bestowed upon them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays.

This information comes from the official site of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I won't put a link there.

4. Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

I thought that might be where it came from.

JW is that group I was told to keep away from. I don't buy that.

Would be interesting to hear their side of it. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

Birthdays are necessary because:

Without them we wouldn

Guest Biblicist

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays.

This information comes from the official site of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I won't put a link there.

4. Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

I thought that might be where it came from.

JW is that group I was told to keep away from. I don't buy that.

Would be interesting to hear their side of it. :emot-hug:

hupo, my friend,

Sorry I don't mean to get off topic. . .

Please stay away from them. They do not believe that Jesus is diety at all! Their translation of the Bible reads John 1:1-3

1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

They are very close to Christian beliefs, but yet oh so far. They believe Jesus was a created being but not God. They say that there is only one God yet as you can see, John 1:1 has been translated that Jesus was A god. My mother in law is a Jehovah's Witness, or at least used to be. Considering she always celebrated Christimas, at the behest of her husbnad and I don't think she practices anymore I am certain they do not welcome her into the Kingdom Hall.

I know of a woman who was JW her husband went to a Baptist church and recieved the Lord as his personal saviour. She was forced to divorce him by her elders and was encouraged to remarry someone from their church. They have two children.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

kat, what about parents who tried for years and years to have a baby then God miraculously blessed them with a child? I can see their desire to celebrate hugely the incredible gift God had bestowed upon them.

That is a point, but all the ones I've known of, that wasn't the case.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Birthdays are necessary because:

Without them we wouldn