• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

I guess this is what happens when we let our "representatives" make decisions for us:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/3987722a11.html

Threat to close Christian schools

The Government is threatening to shut down two Christian schools unless they say whether staff are illegally hitting children.

Wainuiomata Christian College and Auckland's Tyndale Park Christian School have refused to say whether they are breaching Education Act regulations, which outlaw corporal punishment in schools unless by parents or guardians.

The schools question the Education Ministry's right to interfere with internal policy, and Wainuiomata principal Martin Keast says parents have a right to educate children according to religious beliefs.

The ministry has written to both schools demanding verification "that no corporal punishment has been administered".

It has also requested copies of their discipline policies and warned of drastic action should the schools continue with their code of silence.

"This may involve, after due process has been followed, the cancellation of the relevant school's registration," the letter warns.

It adds that ministry officials could formally enter school grounds to copy and remove relevant documents if they are not forthcoming.

Mr Keast said he was saddened by the letter, comparing the ministry's threat to police forcing their way into homes without proper grounds.

The school was rethinking its disciplinary policy and had requested time to complete a review.

The board of trustees is also responsible for Silverstream Christian School, which has the same policy.

Asked if the schools were breaking the law by using corporal punishment, he said: "We know what the law says. What may or may not take place at school is a private matter between families and the school."

Mr Keast said parents of children at independent Christian schools wanted them educated in line with biblical teachings. Use of "the rod" taught children self-discipline and was essential to their upbringing.

A recent Education Review Office report said the college board would not give an assurance it was fulfilling statutory obligations regarding the use of corporal punishment.

A 2005 report for Silverstream Christian School said the board had refused to provide assurances since 1998. Its discipline guidelines referred to "agreed measures of discipline" involving parents and teachers.Rawiri Brell, the ministry's early childhood and regional education deputy secretary, said he was concerned by the schools' stance. It was illegal for schools to use corporal punishment, even with parental consent.

Ministry officials planned to raise the issue with the Association of Christian Schools this month.

Tyndale school has challenged the ministry's right to access documents.

(for rest of article go to link)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I am against corporal punishment in schools. " Spare the 'rod' " Goodness! The 'rod' is a ruler like in taking measurements type ruler , it is for teaching, TEACH your children! Discipline is from deciple, meaning like student , it is about TEACHING our children right. Talk with them instruct them, teach them GOd s ways and communication skills.

(I know some will want to argue, Im not going there.)

I will say our hands are for blessing! :) BLESS YOUR CHILDREN IN PRAYERS !

Let them pray with the children and teach them in Christ ways for them and let the Holy Spirit touch them.

elkie

Speak of GOds goodness in the way as you walk and everywhere you go with your children.

Praise our wonderful Lliving God! :74_74:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

It sounds to me like some folks at the schools are being stubborn. The government does have the right to forbid corporal punishment, and to ask about a school's discipline methods.

Guest Biblicist

I don't see what the issue is. :)

If the school does not recieve any monies from the state how can the state have any say in their practices. They are protected by law in that sense. I hope they have a good lawyer, though.

On corporal punishment in schools; if the child doesn't get it at home they will be more likely to need it at school. However, if the child does not get it at home, what good will it do them to get it in school. Reinforcement of the parents is key. When I was a kid, my husband can attest to this as well, if I got in trouble at school, I knew I got it double at home.

I believe this is where the ADHD and ADD drugs are making the biggest impact. Children who are not expected to behave at home and teachers who are not given the authority by the parents to make children behave in the classroom, have no recourse other than to require drugs for those who can not/will not obey.

Guest Biblicist
I am against corporal punishment in schools. " Spare the 'rod' " Goodness! The 'rod' is a ruler like in taking measurements type ruler , it is for teaching, TEACH your children! Discipline is from deciple, meaning like student , it is about TEACHING our children right. Talk with them instruct them, teach them GOd s ways and communication skills.

(I know some will want to argue, Im not going there.)

I will say our hands are for blessing! :) BLESS YOUR CHILDREN IN PRAYERS !

Let them pray with the children and teach them in Christ ways for them and let the Holy Spirit touch them.

elkie

Speak of GOds goodness in the way as you walk and everywhere you go with your children.

Praise our wonderful Lliving God! :74_74:

elkie, The rod you are speaking of is not a ruler for measurement. I believe it is considered the same as a Shepherd's club or staff, used for correction, even for a whack every now and then.

In Proverbs 22:15, 23:13, & 29:15

rod ~ shebet {shay'-bet} (Hebrew)

1) rod, staff, branch, offshoot, club, sceptre, tribe

a) rod, staff

b) shaft (of spear, dart)

c) club (of shepherd's implement)

d) truncheon, sceptre (mark of authority) e) clan, tribe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I would have a HUMONGOUS issue with someone other than me or my husband spanking our children. Noone knows our children better than me and my husband, therefore noone can do it in the most connected manner as me and my husband can. If my children were having discipline issues, then I'd avoid leaving them with others till I got the issue under control. If the parent is doing their job at home, then it shouldnt be a problem. If the parent is NOT doing their job in disciplining at home, then the schools will never be able to make up for that wether or not they spank the students.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

I would have a HUMONGOUS issue with someone other than me or my husband spanking our children.

I agree.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

It seems to me that the parents of children in these Christian schools know the school's position on disciplinary actions. If the parents have issues, then perhaps they should not enroll their child there. However, having the government step in is imo abusing its own power. There is a big difference between corporal punishment and abuse.

I do know of one charter school here that will call in the parents for any and all disciplinary problems that a student may have. This puts pressure on parents to instill in their children to behave in school if mom or dad have to leave work so they might go to school and discipline their child. I also know that this school's policy is that a third time parents are called, the child may be expelled. I have not heard of this charter school expelling any of its students.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I spanked my kids but not really when they were school age. In my opinion, spanking should be only used with little kids. Dr Dobson agrees, btw, he said that you shouldn't need it past age 6. That worked for me.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/02/1959

well in todays changing world which is soon going to outlaw truth right out, this does not suprise me, I,m sure its only a ploy to gain control and force them to teach other things as well like homosexulality.... does anyone see the handwriting on the wall here!!!!!!!!!! and look where NO discipline has gotten us....... a wicked and adultourous generation!!!!!