Ztheberean

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Love edifies others in the word of God (Eph 4:16); this is how we are to serve one another (Gal 5:13); we can do this after we have waited on the Spirit for this righteous and loving ability (Gal 5:5-6) Love speaks the truth so that others may grow up. (Eph 4:15) God wants our love to abound more and more in (godly) knowledge and in all (righteous) judgment (Phil 1:9). Let us follow after this love (1Tim 6:11); Love provokes others to do this good work (Heb 10:24); Let this brotherly/sisterly love continue (Heb 13:1) Therefore love has nothing to do with giving stuff away. (1Cor 13:1-2) For we know nothing about love unless we know that love edifies others in the knowledge and wisdom of God. (Eph 4:16) This is the one mind we are to have so that the God of love and peace shall be with us. (2Cor 13:11) This is how we can love our neighbor as ourselves. (Gal 5:14) We are to know those who are among us who labor in the word of God, so that we can esteem them very highly in love for this gracious work. This is how we can be at peace among ourselves. (1Thess 5:12-13) This is how we can be holy ( meaning, understanding, see Prov 9:10) and without blame before Him (God); and rooted and grounded in love. (Eph 1:4, 3:17) Love can rejoice in this truth that reveals grace. (1Cor 13:6, Col 1:6) If there is to be any fellowship of the Spirit, and comfort of love let us be like minded, and of one accord so that we could experience this same love. (Phil 2:1-2) This is how we show our love to the saints, by writing these things down, so that others may be edified and built up. (Col 1:4, 1 Tim 3:14, 1 Cor 4:14, 2Cor 2:4, Est 9:30) It

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Simple definition:

Gods reaching out in creative good

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Love edifies others in the word of God (Eph 4:16); this is how we are to serve one another (Gal 5:13); we can do this after we have waited on the Spirit for this righteous and loving ability (Gal 5:5-6) Love speaks the truth so that others may grow up. (Eph 4:15) God wants our love to abound more and more in (godly) knowledge and in all (righteous) judgment (Phil 1:9). Let us follow after this love (1Tim 6:11); Love provokes others to do this good work (Heb 10:24); Let this brotherly/sisterly love continue (Heb 13:1) Therefore love has nothing to do with giving stuff away. (1Cor 13:1-2) For we know nothing about love unless we know that love edifies others in the knowledge and wisdom of God. (Eph 4:16) This is the one mind we are to have so that the God of love and peace shall be with us. (2Cor 13:11) This is how we can love our neighbor as ourselves.

hmmm...seems i had the wrong idea of love. i dont have time right now (am at school) to check those scripture references but i think i am gonna need to do that ASAP.

as an International Developement Studies student, my whole career-path, i.e. life, is centered on giving stuff away (e.g. giving time away in things like advocacy and trying to get everyone else to give their time and money to those suffering around the world). all this time i thought i was showing love in its entirety to those less fortunate. never realised before that if i dont "edify others in the word of God", then i am not sharing with them the real love that the bible speaks of.

this kinda puts an entirely diff spin on what i have had in my head for a long time.

interesting.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

so that scripture that says, "love suffers long, does not envy etc" ... what type of love is it talking about?

wait, isnt there like, at least four diff types of love? how do they all fit in with the scriptures in the OP?

it seems like the original post is suggesting that the only real love is that of sharing the good news. did i understand correctly?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Love is good will towards men... and a lot more. It shows itself in different ways at different times. It means not having a barking dog that will wake my neighbors up and 4AM. It means giving to those who are hurting. It means having a charitable attiude towards other people.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/24/1988

Love is, to the best of my understanding, and in the simplest way I could put it, the action of putting someone else before yourself.

I don't have any particular scripture to back this up but I think it describes love pretty well!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  129
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Love edifies others in the word of God (Eph 4:16); this is how we are to serve one another (Gal 5:13); we can do this after we have waited on the Spirit for this righteous and loving ability (Gal 5:5-6) Love speaks the truth so that others may grow up. (Eph 4:15) God wants our love to abound more and more in (godly) knowledge and in all (righteous) judgment (Phil 1:9). Let us follow after this love (1Tim 6:11); Love provokes others to do this good work (Heb 10:24); Let this brotherly/sisterly love continue (Heb 13:1) Therefore love has nothing to do with giving stuff away. (1Cor 13:1-2) For we know nothing about love unless we know that love edifies others in the knowledge and wisdom of God. (Eph 4:16) This is the one mind we are to have so that the God of love and peace shall be with us. (2Cor 13:11) This is how we can love our neighbor as ourselves. (Gal 5:14) We are to know those who are among us who labor in the word of God, so that we can esteem them very highly in love for this gracious work. This is how we can be at peace among ourselves. (1Thess 5:12-13) This is how we can be holy ( meaning, understanding, see Prov 9:10) and without blame before Him (God); and rooted and grounded in love. (Eph 1:4, 3:17) Love can rejoice in this truth that reveals grace. (1Cor 13:6, Col 1:6) If there is to be any fellowship of the Spirit, and comfort of love let us be like minded, and of one accord so that we could experience this same love. (Phil 2:1-2) This is how we show our love to the saints, by writing these things down, so that others may be edified and built up. (Col 1:4, 1 Tim 3:14, 1 Cor 4:14, 2Cor 2:4, Est 9:30) It

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  01/16/1969

JESUS said that there's no greater love than a man laying down his life for a friend.This love would be a selfless act not aiming toward getting gain.Giving your time to a friend in need,laying aside your own desires in order to help someone else.Giving your own life(even unto death)to better someone elses(just as JESUS did for us).

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

JESUS said that there's no greater love than a man laying down his life for a friend.This love would be a selfless act not aiming toward getting gain.Giving your time to a friend in need,laying aside your own desires in order to help someone else.Giving your own life(even unto death)to better someone elses(just as JESUS did for us).

Amen

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Love edifies others in the word of God (Eph 4:16); this is how we are to serve one another (Gal 5:13); we can do this after we have waited on the Spirit for this righteous and loving ability (Gal 5:5-6) Love speaks the truth so that others may grow up. (Eph 4:15) God wants our love to abound more and more in (godly) knowledge and in all (righteous) judgment (Phil 1:9). Let us follow after this love (1Tim 6:11); Love provokes others to do this good work (Heb 10:24); Let this brotherly/sisterly love continue (Heb 13:1) Therefore love has nothing to do with giving stuff away. (1Cor 13:1-2) For we know nothing about love unless we know that love edifies others in the knowledge and wisdom of God. (Eph 4:16) This is the one mind we are to have so that the God of love and peace shall be with us. (2Cor 13:11) This is how we can love our neighbor as ourselves.

hmmm...seems i had the wrong idea of love. i dont have time right now (am at school) to check those scripture references but i think i am gonna need to do that ASAP.

as an International Developement Studies student, my whole career-path, i.e. life, is centered on giving stuff away (e.g. giving time away in things like advocacy and trying to get everyone else to give their time and money to those suffering around the world). all this time i thought i was showing love in its entirety to those less fortunate. never realised before that if i dont "edify others in the word of God", then i am not sharing with them the real love that the bible speaks of.

this kinda puts an entirely diff spin on what i have had in my head for a long time.

interesting.

You were on the right track. When you allow God to come into your heart, HE automatically lets "love" flow from you heart as well as pocketbook. The difference is when you are living in sin, and are not listening to God and you try to "buy" your way into God's grace or HIS peoples' hearts, this is know as the false love you have heard of. God's love will not mislead you! GOD IS LOVE!

Blessings

Cajunboy