• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Greetings Shiloh,

Yeshua's name is Yeshua. It is not Jesus. That is just historical fact. I do not subscribe to the whole "Zeus" thing that has been posted. I have seen that stuff put out by the heretical Yahwist cults that claim that unless you pray using the name "Yahweh," your prayers are never heard. That is just wrong.

Now is it that big of a deal that we also refer to Him as Jesus? I do not think so, but we need to at least acknowledge what His real name is. I believe that people are saved if they pray to Yeshua or Jesus. He knows who they are talking to.

I will again pose this question TO YOU. From all that has been gathered so far from Bible historians, the NT was written primarily if not totally in Koine Greek. The oldest portion of NT scripture is from about 40-50 AD and it was in Greek. Also since the majority of the NT was written to non-Hebrew speaking gentiles, then the liklihood is that the "original" books were even more likely to have been written in Greek. What this means is that the Disciples used Iesus in their writings instead of Yeshua. Where does one get off telling us gentiles we must use the Hebrew Name Yeshua?

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Right on!!! I called on the name of JESUS for the cleansing of my sins and I was saved! I DID NOT call on Zeus or some other pagan deity!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  698
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

When I said "transliteration," that means the same thing as John in French becoming Jacques or in Spanish Jose (I believe?).

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I know obviously Yeshua is the equivalent term of Jesus, just as Joshua is I believe. Could someone clue me in as to why it is spelled this way and when it came into popular usage? I've seen "Yeshua" being used quite a bit on the boards and wanted to know more if that makes sense. Thanks.

Ronald,

I have been learning the Hebrew language and the closest thing to Jesus in the Hebrew language is "the horse" the = he seus = horse. As I seen other ppl say Yeshua or Yashua both translate to Yah is salvation.

• 3 months later...
Guest onethang

I can't believe Mashiachim refer to themselves as Messianics. Go back to the origional hebrew, because El doesn't understand any other languages. Besides, Messianic is an insult from the English language, deriving from the word Messy and Maniac. So we must stop refering to ourselves as crazy slobs, instead use the term Mashiachim. And what's all this "Moses" stuff? his name was Moshe. Or do you believe in the law of "More Zeus"? that's right Mo-ses = Mo' Zeus. And what's the deal with Shabbat Candles? they are not made from cans people! If you speak any language other than Eberit (you may know it as Hebrew, but it's not about brewing beer or coffee, it's about Avraham's grandpa) then you are part of the Babelonian Conspiracy.

(dripping with satirical sarcasm.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Besides, Messianic is an insult from the English language, deriving from the word Messy and Maniac.

Not to go off track here, but that is ridiculous! Messiah believers are Messianics! Simple adjectival suffix there!

• 1 month later...

Reply to Ronald:

1) Hebrew has no vowels. See: Hebrew in encyclopedia.

2) Neither Hebrew or Greek has a letter, "J."

3) Joshua, Strong's #3091 reads: 'WSWHY (no vowels). [Heb. reads right to left.]

4) Greek name for Joshua is the same as Iesous.

5) Geneva Bible; 1599, had one corrupted "Jesus" in Matthew, Chapter One; with about four uncorrupted "Iesous" names.

6) 1611 Edition of KIng Iames Version, had no letters "J." The British invented the letter "J" in about AD 1725. Today, men are teaching that the Jews' Aramaic is superior to the Koine Greek New Testament. And that is where "Yehoshua" comes from; from casting away the Bible.

sidwms

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Reply to Ronald:

1) Hebrew has no vowels. See: Hebrew in encyclopedia.

This is only partially true. Hebrew as originally written did not indicate what the vowels were. The Masoretes added vowel pointings later to indicate the vowels. They always existed phoenetically.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't "Jesus" the Latin term taken from the Greek "Iesous" which is taken from the Hebrew "Yeshua"?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  113
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/30/1984

Shalom (as is much needed here apparently),

It is my first day here, so be kind if you do not agree with what I have to say :blink:.

There have been a few stated ideas concerning the name of the Moshiac, and some are really quite blasphemous and hurtful to the credibility of the True Church in the eyes of those who seek knowledge of the roots of the Faith. My main point should be easily accepted and believed when given a pinch of logic and understanding, and shouldn't warrent harassing me or namecalling against me, or stating I am "ignorant" because I have a differing view that might possibly hold more weight. Some are guilty of this, as brothers are turned easily against brothers here it seems. Once again, Shalom to all, and here's what I bring:

The name of Jesus has undergone a few changes since it was first spoken in Aramaic. Aramaic is the bases for the majority of the middle eastern Cananite languages. From Aramaic Hebrew gets it's roots. Later on of course, as is with most languages, the roots make a full revolution and come back to add weight. (As we see Chaldean tongues being introduced into Hebrew but being easily assimilated because of it's root dialect Aramaic)

For a brief overview of the name of Jesus starting from Hebrew:

Y'shua Hebrew

to

Iesous Greek

to

... oh dear I forgot the Latin.. um I think it's Iesus...but anyways Greek to Latin

to

Jesu German

to

Jesus English

Now I've heard it said and argued that the name Iesous comes from Zeus and is a trace element of Pagan practice in the Christian Church, but this is not so. A simple in depth study of the name as it transitions from tongue to tongue would yield easily, the answer to many people's questions. For the sake of common resource, I will use the Strongs Concordance to show the transition, and the importance of knowing the context of the languages involved.

First lets see the Hebrew name... Y'shua. Now I do Y'shua, because the name of Y'shua holds the title of G-d and since I am Jewish, I don't write out the name as we're commanded not to, but for teaching purposes I will write it out here. If you choose to print, please use the bolded version of what I type and delete the non bolded.

Hebrew:

Yehoshua

Y'shua

This word finds it's roots in two words that are close relatives to their Aramaic forms... and this is important, but for now let's examine the roots.

Yeh - meaning G-d

Y'h

Shua - meaning Saves

Yeh in it's pure root form is "Yehovah" (which really isn't correct cause Jehovah didn't come along till the German Language got a hold of YHVH and Adonai and tried to mix the two but for concordance sake, we'll use Jehovah) This name YHVH is purposely not spelled out in Hebrew Texts because it is the Holy name of G-d and isn't to be written out for a number of reasons, and in Anchient Hebrew history, the name was mentioned by the High Priests only a handful of times, and that was for special occasions only.

Shua in it's pure root form is "yaw-shah" meaning "free, open, etc. etc.". Well it doesn't mean "etc. etc." but you get the idea :blink:

This may not seem important now, or to some, may be a repeat of a lessoned learned already, but it's important once we get to the next translation which.. is next. Haha.

Now what in the world made the Greeks translate Yehoshua into Iesous? Let's break down the word Iesous. (and again, no it wasn't cause of a pagan god *rolls eyes*)

The word itself, is NOT PURELY GREEK. Again? THE WORD ITSELF IS NOT PURELY GREEK. Then what else is in it you ask?

ARAMAIC. Anyone that knows Aramaic knows that "sous" is the Greecian/Aramaic form of "shua" which means "saves" or in most references "saved" So if we know what "sous" means, what can you imagine does "Ie" stand for? Well there's another catch. "Ies" is the Greecian/Aramaic form of G-d. Why is the Greek language mixed with Aramaic? A simple study of Military Occupation and Transitional Languages will reveal the answer. Anchient Persian Military occupation (A primarily Aramaic speaking civilization) left it's mark on many languages.

But we really shouldn't let the name of the Moshiac be what divides us, but instead what unites us :blink:.

Again, Shalom

(P.S. I Looooooove these smileys!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christopher_John
Shalom (as is much needed here apparently),

It is my first day here, so be kind if you do not agree with what I have to say :emot-heartbeat:.

Again, Shalom

(P.S. I Looooooove these smileys!)

Hi Naziyr welcome aboard.

Excellent post.

Peace

CJ