• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

I know obviously Yeshua is the equivalent term of Jesus, just as Joshua is I believe. Could someone clue me in as to why it is spelled this way and when it came into popular usage? I've seen "Yeshua" being used quite a bit on the boards and wanted to know more if that makes sense. Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First.....Jesus is not the equivalent because the name "Jesus" has no meaning (other than that which we assign to it ourselves)

Yeshua is also not the same as Joshua.

Joshua or Yehoshuah means Yah is my salvation"

Yeshua means "salvation" and it's in the present tense....in other words....salvation NOW!

In the hebrew there were places in the Bible where the word "yeshua" is used

link to the concordance page explaining Yeshua and how it is used in the OT

hope that gets you started good....

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

The predominant theme seems to be "salvation" in Psalms where the word "Yeshua" is used. Wow, make an assumption and find out you're just scratching the surface!

Now go look at all those verses and substitue the word "Jesus" (since that is the name you usually associate with the Lord) and you will begin to see some verses in a different way.

Therefore with joy shall you draw water from the wells of Jesus.....

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

First.....Jesus is not the equivalent because the name "Jesus" has no meaning (other than that which we assign to it ourselves)

Yeshua is also not the same as Joshua.

Joshua or Yehoshuah means Yah is my salvation"

Yeshua means "salvation" and it's in the present tense....in other words....salvation NOW!

Stop! Rewind . . . .

I have always heard that "Yeshua" means "Yahweh saves."

I have also heard that "Jesus" is the English transliteration of the Greek transliteration (whatever that is) of the Hebrew "Yeshua."

I have then hear that the direct English transliteration of "Yeshua" comes out to "Joshua."

Can you please unravel the confusion? ;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Hi,

The word Jesus is not a translation but a label that greeks assigned to Yahshua. Iesus is the greek word for Jesus. Many believe that Iesus means "son of zeus" or "little zeus" and believe that greeks changed his name so other greeks who worshipped Zeus as their main deity would not be offened.

I personally believe that Jesus or Iesus is a plotted distortion of Yahshua's real name. Out of all the hebrew names in the bible only Yahshua's name was changed. The name above all names was changed! Why??? Why didnt the greeks change the name of Abraham, Isaac, Jacobs or any other hebrew names in the bible. The true english translation of Yahshua is Joshua. Just as Yahovah is translated into Jehovah/Johovah. We have to remember the hebrew language did not have the letter "j" but used "ya" instead.

If greeks had a hard time pronouncing Yahshua's name, well why didnt they change Joshua/Yahshua son of nun's name in the OT also.

So why did the name above all names "Yahshua" change? Who could dear change such a holy and powerful name by which men are saved?

Jesus is not the name of "Yahshua" Gods son.

If greeks just absolutly had to translate Yahshua's name it would be "Theosozo". meaning God saves.

Theos = God Sozo= Saves

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

The word Jesus is not a translation but a label that greeks assigned to Yahshua. Iesus is the greek word for Jesus. Many believe that Iesus means "son of zeus" or "little zeus" and believe that greeks changed his name so other greeks who worshipped Zeus as their main deity would not be offened.

I personally believe that Jesus or Iesus is a plotted distortion of Yahshua's real name. Out of all the hebrew names in the bible only Yahshua's name was changed. The name above all names was changed! Why??? Why didnt the greeks change the name of Abraham, Isaac, Jacobs or any other hebrew names in the bible. The true english translation of Yahshua is Joshua. Just as Yahovah is translated into Jehovah/Johovah. We have to remember the hebrew language did not have the letter "j" but used "ya" instead.

If greeks had a hard time pronouncing Yahshua name well why didnt they change Joshua/Yahusha son of nun's name in the OT also.

So how come the name above all names "Yahshua" changed? Who could dear change such a holy and powerful name by which men are saved?

Jesus is not the name of "Yahshua" Gods son.

If greeks just absolutly had to translate Yahshua's name it would be "Theosozo". meaning God saves.

Theos = God Sozo= Saves

Yeshua did tell us to beware the SCRIBES and false prophets, that we had to be more righteous that the scribes if we wanted to enter into heaven.

Yeshua could not draw all men to him, because his name was not really being lifted up when we referred to him as Jesus.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

During the time of Jesus, the predominant language was Koine Greek. In the then "world", this language was spoken by most if not all the nations. The oldest known piece of manuscript of the NT is in Greek. There are many expositors on the web that agree that the NT was most likely written in Greek. That means Paul and all the NT writers wrote to their mostly gentile audience in a language they would understand. Which means that they used the name IESUS, from which we get the English word Jesus.

Now I am not going to go about proving this, but it is reasonable and makes a whole lot of sense.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

You guys call me trav, and I respond, but that is not my name. Yet, when you discuss me amongst yourself it is clear that you speak of me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Greetings All,

During the time of Jesus, the predominant language was Koine Greek. In the then "world", this language was spoken by most if not all the nations. The oldest known piece of manuscript of the NT is in Greek. There are many expositors on the web that agree that the NT was most likely written in Greek. That means Paul and all the NT writers wrote to their mostly gentile audience in a language they would understand. Which means that they used the name IESUS, from which we get the English word Jesus.

Now I am not going to go about proving this, but it is reasonable and makes a whole lot of sense.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Are you saying the IESUS is more understandable then Yahshua. How can a Label be more understandable then his original name which had meaning? Names and titles transcend language barriors. If he was called Yahshua then he should still be called Yahshua today in any language. Unless Yahshua delibertly changed his name.

We have no proof of which language the original writers of the NT used. All of the NT manuscipts are mere copies of copies. There were 3 main languages spoken during that time: Hebrew, Greek, and Latin.

This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.

(Joh 19:20)

I have heard people tell me that Hebrew was a dead language during that time, but Pilit put a sign over Yahshua written in the three most commonly used languages during that time so that all that spoke those languages could understand. Yes Iam sure greek was a common language amoung that time but that does not mean that Israel used that language on a day to day bases. This is like saying in our modern time english (international language) is the most common language therefore most people in Mexico and Cuba speak English on a day to day bases. Yes English is a international language but most likley if someone in Mexico were to write a letter or book it would most likely be in spanish.

We all know what Yahshua's orginal name is and it is in no way a hinderance to our english language. So why do we continue to use his pseudo name when we know his true and orginal name?