TreyM

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

It's "Top 10 Tuesday" - So with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy (You might be a Redneck) here are 10 Signs You Might Be a Pharisee...

1. If you consider the church roll the Lambs book of Life.

2. If you're disgusted by the moral filth that is playing out of your own VCR/DVD player.

3. If you think Christianity is about rules rather than relationship.

4. If you think any church that has experienced growth must be watering down the Gospel.

5. If you rebuke the visiting preacher for not wearing a tie when he was in the pulpit.

6. If you won't let your kids watch "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" because there's a witch in the movie.

7 - 10 are still on my blog if you want to stop by and read the rest. Also, can you think of any I left out?

Blessings,

Trey

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It's "Top 10 Tuesday" - So with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy (You might be a Redneck) here are 10 Signs You Might Be a Pharisee...

Blessings,

Trey

It's a little of both but would choose the rules over relationship.

I guess I'm a Pharisee. ha!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

4. If you think any church that has experienced growth must be watering down the Gospel.

5. If you rebuke the visiting preacher for not wearing a tie when he was in the pulpit.

6. If you won't let your kids watch "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" because there's a witch in the movie.

Trey

It would be nice if a lot of times, churches that have "a lot" of growth are those that are watering down the gospel... I'm not a Pharisee, but this is shown as very a very big issue because, although church growth is awefully amazing, many of the "big churches" that are known around, at the least the United States, and sometimes throughout the world... they are widely accepted because they are "open minded" and they let go of certain truths, or bring in music or thigns taht woudl appeal to the flesh.... that bothers me greatly, not just growth.... rather, growth is caused by watering down of the gospel.

I won't let my kids (future children, prayerfully) watch the Lion the Witch the Wardrobe... there is a witch... there is a Santa, and I don't like the writings of the author of the book. I don't trust it, and I woudln't want to put that before children's eyes. As to not turn this into a debate abotu these books, I am saying that this is where I stand.. we all have to answer to God for our decisions.. and this is where I stand.

*looks arounds the room* Trey, thanks for this list :blink:

Crystal :blink:

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  857
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  01/04/1981

2. If you're disgusted by the moral filth that is playing out of your own VCR/DVD player.

LOL!!! :blink:

P.S. I am now *googling* to find the definition of a Pharisee...

web definition: a self-righteous or sanctimonious person

P.P.S. I am now *googling* to find the definition of sanctimonious

Feigning piety or righteousness: “a solemn, unsmiling, sanctimonious old iceberg that looked like he was waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity” (Mark Twain).

Of or practicing hypocrisy

Self-righteous, hypocritical about one's own holiness

ahhhh...I feel better now. (Teaching first grade all day does not often include words like Pharisee and sanctimonious).

Edited by LossForWords

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Trey, I especially liked the one about Paul and Silas carrying around the KJV only. That ones a hoot! lol :blink:

Do people really believe the KJV was around in Paul and Silas's day? I have never heard of such. Made me laugh!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

You sure are fond of lists :blink:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

(Teaching first grade all day does not often include words like Pharisee and sanctimonious).

Being Christian does...lol. I am not laughing at you there, so please do not take offense.

I dig the list, Trey.

(Teaching first grade all day does not often include words like Pharisee and sanctimonious).

Being Christian does...lol. I am not laughing at you there, so please do not take offense.

I dig the list, Trey.

Actually...because I do not tend to describe myself in such a way, or my fellow believers, I still do not often use these words. Although now that the words are in my head...there are a few people who I wouldn't mind labeling...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

1. If you consider the church roll the Lambs book of Life.

7 - 10 are still on my blog if you want to stop by and read the rest. Also, can you think of any I left out?

Blessings,

Trey

The term "pharisee" is used far too loosely in Christendom.

Remember that it was the Pharisees who plotted against the Lord and conspired to His killing at the hands of the Romans.

For centuries the Jewish people were persecuted and called "Christ killers" (And they still are). To me, to call someone a Pharisee - especially a fellow believer - is not that much different. How would you like to be called "Christ killer"?