do you have to respect your parenths?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  313
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

In the 10 commandments it says that you must respect your parenths, but what if your parenths made your life hell? Do you still need to respect them? Can you continue to god with that 1 sin?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

We will all meet God with some sin we have not repented of, for lack of knowledge about it, or due to disobedience in a certain area.

The consequence of holding onto a sin when you recognize it is that things will not go well with you. You will have a struggle in some area of life which has, as the root, that particular sin.

If you want victory in your life and things to go well with you, repent and turn from what you know is sin.

You won't be able to stand before God, point to your parents, and say, "But they hurt me!" You will have to stand alone, and account for your deeds, and attitudes...

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

In the 10 commandments it says that you must respect your parenths, but what if your parenths made your life hell? Do you still need to respect them? Can you continue to god with that 1 sin?

Your sin is a matter between you and God. The commandment that we should respect our parents is the first commandment with a promise: "That your days may be long..."

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I would offer respect and Love to your parents, even if they are wrong. There is a blessing attached to it.

Peace,

Dave

Guest Mercyisfalling

I went through hell as a child in many many aspects of my life. Because I was a Christian at 8 God helped me to forgive them. I tried to honor them the best I could, wasn't always successful, because I had great hardships to endure. However, as I got older, moved away from home I got councelling, took a course called, "The Devine Plumline" and received much needed inner healing.

It is possible to Love and respect your parents, even if you don't agree with them.

God will give you the Grace to do so if you ask for it, and repent of your own sin.

It may not be an easy thing to do, but with Christ all things are possible.

Things went waaaay better in my life when I chose to forgive each parent individually, and give them to God. Honoring them came alot easier when I knew God was at the controls of my Heart.

God Bless :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

The command to respect your parents doesn't translate to any obligation to accept the abuse of parents. Parents not their abusive actions can still be respected generaly speaking. In extreme cases though, no. Certain people no matter who they are just cannot be respected. Like for example parents who are child molesters. A child having experienced such hell would hopefuly get new parents to respect by adoption assuming their not brainwashed into believing that they shouldn't tell anyone because they are suppose to 'respect their parents'. So in all cases? No, and it wouldn't be a sin to not 'show respect'.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I was just reading this "again" this morning;

Heb

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Sometimes kids think their parents are putting them through 'hell' because the 'children' are living away from God and the parents are trying to protect them and help bring them back. I know, I am a parent and this happened with my son and seems to be happenning with daughter now too. Kids don't always see all the love in parents who are willing to stand and discipline them.

BTW, I get so annoyed when people say that something they went through was like hell. They obviously have absolutely no idea what hell is really going to be like.

• Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

The commandment doesn't say to respect your parents if they do or don't do this or that. You can respect them, be respectful to them, and even love them, but that doesn't mean you have to like what they do or allow them to abuse you as an adult. There are cases where it's nedessary to cut off communication with them, but every other avenue should be exhausted first.

It's like, I love my kids unconditionally, but there sure were times when I didn't like them much when they were younger.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

The Hebrew word translated honor also means to promote. I think we can assume it means to not put them down or treat them disrespectfully.