IGNORED

War on Terrorism

Guest idolsmasher

Guest idolsmasher

Report calls war in Iraq 'open ended, gratuitous conflict'

WASHINGTON - A scathing new report by military analyst Jeffrey Record of the U.S. Army War College, condemns the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq as "an unnecessary war of choice."

Record, who teaches at the Strategic Studies Institute of the college, gives a failing grade to virtually every aspect of the Bush administration's war on terror.

The study accuses the White House of starting what Record calls "an open-ended and gratuitous conflict" that has little chance of success. Worst of all, says Record, the U.S. is creating new enemies among countries that pose no serious security threat.

He writes that "the global war on terrorism as currently defined and waged is dangerously indiscriminate and ambitious, and accordingly ... its parameters should be readjusted."

The anti-terrorism campaign "is strategically unfocused, promises more than it can deliver, and threatens to dissipate U.S. military resources in an endless and hopeless search for absolute security."

Record describes the Bush administration's language on terrorism as a "semantic swamp." Record says the war on terror, and especially its occupation of Iraq, is unsustainable financially, militarily and politically for the U.S.

He also argues that Bush's foreign policy of preventative war will likely encourage a proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

Record has previously published books critical of the first Gulf War and the U.S. involvement in Vietnam.

Written by CBC News Online staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shadow2b
-Written by CBC News Online staff

-CANADIAN--BROADCASTING-CORPORATION{COMPANY??}yupppp--canadian-owned--operated--&

-phylosophy provided by-&-owned by the STATE-of CANADA---i.e.queen of british empire??maybe??

- :):):):D:D:D:D

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  478
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/06/1971

We've seen alot of different points of view in the "War on Terrorism" forum lately. Some of us are in favor of it, some are against. Some of are Americans, some are from other parts of the world. God created us all to be unique, and have our own special personalities, thoughts , and feelings. None of us , however no matter how much, or how passionately we post our feelings here are able to tilt, or sway the workings of this world, or change the hearts of the men that God has put in charge of the nations. What we can do , is pray.We know that the Lord hears us, and if we pray in His Will, we can be assured of an answer. Maybe that's what we should focus our energies on.Yes, we have our differences, folks. The One thing we have in common is that we all belong to the Lord, and He wants us to be of one accord no matter what our differences may be.Jesus Himself prayed to The Father for this very thing.We can't do anything (in ourselves) about this war one way or another, but we had better find a way to come together. I think this means asking ourselves what's really important.Is this a "just war" idolsmasher? I don't know,and neither do you.Only God knows that,we just need to trust in Him.

What keeps being overlooked in the discussion is that we are not living in days past. With the advent of WMDs and terrorism being sponsored by foreign government who hide their involvement, we have no choice but to take the fight to them or be slowly obliterated.

911 changed much more than these ostriches know. They should take their heads out of the sands of Arabia to see that THEY have been at war with America for much longer than 911. If it's war they want, who are we to deny them a chance for 70 virgins in Paradise?

Iraq is not the end game. It is part of a larger strategy to END terrorism. I couldn't care less what Canada, France, Germany, or any other nation thinks. They are not the target of these Islamic fanatics so why would their opinion be relevant in any way? :)

But don't worry Idol. America will protect those cowards in Canada too....

You can go back to sleep now...

:sleep:

Guest idolsmasher

Nice post hazel, thanks! I agree with you but some things I just have to speak out about.

Just war? I think not, since the threat was not WMDs as we were led to believe and no concrete link to terrorism has been established. The threat was an imagined one, a theory of some neo-conservative think tanks to which Rummy and Dick and Wolfowitz are leading members. This imagined threat theory was instrumental in pushing the program along.The whole threat has been fabricated and the fabric stretched over the eyes of the American public. There was no concrete plan for restoring stability and order and mayhem has ensued. America is presently engaged in occupation and the reconstuction has been painfully slow. Thousands of innocents have been killed and continue to be killed by American troops who are either gun happy, paranoid, or careless in a shoot first ask later type of clean up operations. All this after 12 years of bombing and sanctions which themselves killed hundreds of thousands of innocents and weakened and demoralized Iraq's people. The first gulf war was setup when the American ambassador gave Saddam the signal America would not interfere over Kuwait and then they broke their word and turned on him. No, this thing has not been just from the beginning on America's part, it has been about "empire" and oil and the plans have been in place for a very long time. The American public was outright lied to and manipulated and continues to be. This is far from being "just", it's evil!

Iraq is not the end game. It is part of a larger strategy to END terrorism.

Exactly, in order to secure the "empire", except for one thing, no evidence has proven Iraqi government support for terrorism. Really what it is about is American control over the Arab countries because they are some of the last remaining countries that do not bow down to America and don't have nukes, but they do have alot of what America wants, black gold.

I couldn't care less what Canada, France, Germany, or any other nation thinks. They are not the target of these Islamic fanatics so why would their opinion be relevant in any way?

Maybe because they are allies??? Ever hear of NATO or NORAD??? Unless of course if you don't care if your allies become your enemies.

But don't worry Idol. America will protect those cowards in Canada too....

Man, American arrogance can be so rank, peeeeeeewwwww, something stinks!!! You really think that 500 ton bomb diplomacy is going to change people's hearts??? Is that why America is spending billions on missile defense systems???

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  478
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/06/1971

I give up...........

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You really think that 500 ton bomb diplomacy is going to change people's hearts???

What do you believe changes people's hearts?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

I'm not saying that I am glad to have our throops over there.....my family members being some of them. But one thing for sure WMD's or not...I am glad SH is out of power....are all the mass graves they have found fabricated too?....what about all the innocents he killed....I think if he would have been left alone to rule like he was....then shame on all of us for turning our backs on the brutality.

But that is just my opinion.....

Love and Blessings,

Angel H.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Refuge, I couldn't agree more. I was watching the History Channel the other night, and a program on SH's regime. A man, thought to have shown allegiance to a different power, was taken from his home and tortured. Continuing to proclaim his innocence, his wife and infant were then brought in. His infant was thrown against a wall and, with the infant's brain matter scattered on the officers, they shot the husband, but allowed the wife to live to be able to tell the story and intimidate others. How disturbing that those who oppose the war on terrorism sanction such attrocities. Oh, I forgot. The UN should have handled it. LOL, yeah.

Those who have no clue about evil and who rail against those who try to fight it sicken me. They wrap themselves in some perverted sense of "peace" while the rest of us do the work and lay it on the line. Yeah, kum-buy-ya.

911 changed much more than these ostriches know. They should take their heads out of the sands of Arabia to see that THEY have been at war with America for much longer than 911. If it's war they want, who are we to deny them a chance for 70 virgins in Paradise?

Iraq is not the end game. It is part of a larger strategy to END terrorism. I couldn't care less what Canada, France, Germany, or any other nation thinks. They are not the target of these Islamic fanatics so why would their opinion be relevant in any way?