• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/04/1971

I don't want this to turn into a huge debate, but this is something that has been bugging me for a long time. I couldn't find a specific thread on it, just some general answers here and there. Please do not tell me who is a false teacher/flase doctrine and who is not, thats not what I'm looking for.

So, how do you know who is teaching truths, and who is teaching lies? Anyone, and I mean anyone, can justify thier stance on why they are right and someone else is wrong. I have read posts from people who save they like so and so, and others who say that so and so is a false teacher. Or believe the doctrine of this denom is right, and the others are wrong. So do you think any of us really know the exact truth? What make what one blieves so much more right than what someone else believes? I am struggling in my walk, because from all sides I hear this debate over who is right and wrong. Can someone please help me out?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

Much of what we consider doctrine is really just human interpretation. I agree with you on that point. A lot of things that separate denominations are things that really don't matter on an eternal level. Our call and mission are the same - to go into the world and preach the Gospel to everyone, everywhere. We have common ground on what that gospel is - that God loved the world so much that He sent His only Son that whoever believe in Him should not die but have eternal life.

It's in the little details that we all seem to get fuzzy.

Having said that, there is much perversion of the gospel going on; from the lie of "prosperity gospel" to the new "goddess" movements we're seeing in our faith. These (and many other false doctrines) can be dismissed with only an honest reading of Scripture. Sadly, there are those out there who prefer to be lied to than to look for themselves.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

A good rule of thumb is if you are a new believer or have an admitted weakness spiritually, then you really want to stick close to leaders that you know. Leaders that God places over you in your church. The further out from your local body you go, the more chance to fall into error.

Get the basics, allow yourself to be discipled. Get the milk, then the meat, THEN you can maybe afford to venture out and take in the teachings of another. But you need guidance from your leaders...shepherds.

I know a great many leaders of OTHER flocks, and a lot of them are wise teachers, but I know that my own shepherds are placed there for ME! God is good! I always come back and place my full attention and submission on them, because they are MY particular shepherds.

As they lead you in their well-honed discernment, you will develop your own discernment that God has already placed in you.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I don't want this to turn into a huge debate, but this is something that has been bugging me for a long time. I couldn't find a specific thread on it, just some general answers here and there. Please do not tell me who is a false teacher/flase doctrine and who is not, thats not what I'm looking for.

So, how do you know who is teaching truths, and who is teaching lies? Anyone, and I mean anyone, can justify thier stance on why they are right and someone else is wrong. I have read posts from people who save they like so and so, and others who say that so and so is a false teacher. Or believe the doctrine of this denom is right, and the others are wrong. So do you think any of us really know the exact truth? What make what one blieves so much more right than what someone else believes? I am struggling in my walk, because from all sides I hear this debate over who is right and wrong. Can someone please help me out?

God's Word, the Bible is always the final authority. It's what everyone should use as a yardstick as to what is correct or incorrect. Too many people go off of a commentary or what so-and-so said was true or false. Or they have a set belief already and try to make scripture bend to their theology, instead of changing their theology to get in line with scripture.

Amen! :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

You've asked praticaly the hardest questions possible. You're a thinking person. Someone once told me the same thing. I always like to keep asking 'who, what, when, where and why?' How does one determine who is teaching lie and who is teaching the Truth? Absolute truth is the hardest thing to establish.

What color is the sky? We call the color of the sky, 'blue' because that is the color (an identification) it appears to be. While the sky is actualy not blue but that it's appearence is blue is an absolute, an established fact in the physical world. If something cannot be proved to be an absolute then it is nothing more than a belief or opinion.

How are truths of the spiritual world established and proved? Could it have to do with identification and appearance? Who then decides what color the Truth is? If it's color can be recognized then it can be identified.

So, how do you know who is teaching truths, and who is teaching lies? Anyone, and I mean anyone, can justify their stance on why they are right and someone else is wrong.

:)

Dear Sister you have wonderfully expressed The Anthem of today's "No Nothings".

Beyond Any Doubt Dear One, God can be known!

The counterpoint to this Dirge of Death is The LORD Jesus Christ!

Heart knowledge of The Lord Jesus Christ Is The Way, The Truth and The Life!

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

It is all about Jesus!

Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. Hebrews 10:7

Who He Is!

Who His Father Is!

Who The Holy Ghost Is!

I and my Father are one. John 10:30

The Nature of God

The Nature of Man

The Nature of Sin

The Gift of Calvary

The Sure Hope of Salvation

The Sure Promise of Eternity With God

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

The Bridge of Jacobs Ladder Between Heaven and Earth

Yeshua, Our Kinsmen-Redeemer

God Himself The Sacrifice for our sins.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

When you listen to a speaker, does He or she show you Jesus as they teach from The Bible?

If they are not teaching from The Bible and if you are not seeing Jesus in The Bible, Walk!

I Believe The Holy Spirit is The Real Teacher of The Church.

I Believe The Holy Bible Is The Real Teacher of The Church.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

If you want to see The Church, Look In The mirror!

If you want to see Jesus, look in The Holy Bible.

If you want to read The Bible, Pray for Sight to See Jesus!

If you just want to point fingers, Just point to Jesus.

If you just want to point to Jesus, Pray and Read The Bible.

You are never alone if you have Jesus.

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Hebrews 13:5

Thank you sister.

Post early, post often.

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Numbers 6:24-26

Love, Joe

Firehill, I do have a very analytical mind, to a fault sometimes too! I guess what I'm also wondering is if you give someone a scripture, and ask them what it means, you can get three different answers from 3 different people. In some cases, they could all be right, or all be wrong. Since my walk with God, I have attended 2 diff churches, and while they agree on some things, they also have differences on some.

I myself could interpret scripture one way, and have someone say "That's not what it means." I see alot of that on this board, and while its usually a resonable discussion, I have been on other boards where its gotten quite nasty. There are people who's sole purpose is to go around telling how wrong others are in thier interpretation of scripture, and to me, that's a bit prideful.

So this also has me thinking, if we are bent on being right, in some ways does it come down to pride? Sort of like "I'm right and your wrong, so there!" I personally believe that certain scritptures have one meaning, and that's it. I believe that as an individual, said interpretation can mean one thing for one person's situation, and something for anothers. (I hope that made sense, wasn't sure how to word it.)

Here's an example-(Don't know where it is in the bible, but I know its there)

John the Baptist was preaching and at one point he said "I must decrease, He must increase." Now I had been saved only a short time, and had a bunch of stuff going on in my life, so what I got out of that scripture was, "I need to let go of all my junk, and replace it with Jesus." I have also read that is not what it meant. But for me at that time, thats what I got out of it, so is that wrong?

I also can tell you that the church I'm in preaches alot of things that some people on this board disagree with. I think no matter what curch you go to, you will always find differences in what is preached. Many say, "Does it line up with the word?" Well, that depends on how a person interprets said scripture doesn't it? Thoughts?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Our church is in a Bible reading program where we read the Bible completely in two years. We all read the same Scriptures every day and we all journal on them. It will revolutionize how we hear from God as a unified body, I believe.

Now, we are finding that when we come together, we are saying things like, "You know, the Lord has spoken to me about that very thing in Matthew 5, verse whatever..." And the other person says, "Wow! I got (this and this) from that very passage!"

It is amazing how we are all reading the same things, yet the Holy Spirit quickens us to a truth in it that is specifically for us.

We get differing messages, but NONE are wrong...ALL are valid to us!

I could read the same passage next month and get a totally different message for myself...or for someone else's need I may be ministering to that week. It's ALL truth. It's all good food! God has provided an abundant feast for us! We are to dive in and eat!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

I'm sure by now you've heard many versions, or sides to confuse you even more, because the fact is that you are correct, it IS a matter or a combination of your own culture, early upbringing, and what you choose to believe. With that in mind may I suggest that you TRY a few of the beliefs you have questions about....Take your time......God isn't going anywhere, and only HE knows what an "eternity" represents since HE created it for us.....But for me, I was always destined to be a Christian!!!! Started out in the Catholic Chruch.....a few strange quips there, but for the most part we had a good, solid, religious, and wholesome upbringing. Then I branced off on my own at 17 and began learning the early King James Version of the Bible and like what I read and stuck with it......But to answer your quest. The main thing I want to stress is to "try a few" that you think you might be interested in and you decide what's best for you. I tried Christianity long ago and God has lived up to HIS words each time....Perhaps not in my time and not exactly what I had in mind....But the thing I had to learn was to "trust HIM fully with all my heart, soul and spirit and never stop believing that HE has my best interest in mind.....Also, I do a lot of "Thanksgiving," for the small things as well as the big things in our lives as an individual and a family.....It's a bit difficult because my wife is a devout Catholic, but in the years, much of me has rubbed off in areas that were much needed....I pray??? I have no regrets....Not one! And take each minute and each day.....one at a time and never doubt God's direction for me.....and it's been a ride and a half.......and still growing at 55 years young....

Best wishes and prayers are with you!

Blessings

Cajunboy

Thanks for all the replies. What scares me though, and I've read it here many a time, that those who sit under false teaching, even if they don't know its false, won't be going to heaven. To me, that scares the heck out of me. Your thoughts on this?