IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Canadasgenius wrote:

"we cannot substitute the word "denomination" for the word "Church". There is one Church (the body of believers, wherever they are), and this has nothing to do with denomination."

That is very true. You said it well.

Canadasgenius, you must be the child of God, are you not? 'Cause only His children are geniuses.

Yes, indeed I am a child of God. I am not really a genius though...well, maybe by Canadian standards.

*laugh* Pretty sure we have the same IQ standards as the US for being considered a genius.

Smart Canadians, yes! Where are ya from, genius? :emot-heartbeat:

I'm from Canada.

I know. I was asking where, because as you can see, I am also. :emot-dance:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Canadasgenius wrote:

"we cannot substitute the word "denomination" for the word "Church". There is one Church (the body of believers, wherever they are), and this has nothing to do with denomination."

That is very true. You said it well.

Canadasgenius, you must be the child of God, are you not? 'Cause only His children are geniuses.

Yes, indeed I am a child of God. I am not really a genius though...well, maybe by Canadian standards.

*laugh* Pretty sure we have the same IQ standards as the US for being considered a genius.

Smart Canadians, yes! Where are ya from, genius? :o

I'm from Canada.

I know. I was asking where, because as you can see, I am also. :emot-hug:

Yes, I know what you meant. I was just acting "smart." I do that in a lame attempt to hide my dumbness. I see you are from Hamilton, I'm near Leamington.

Great tomatoes! :emot-hug:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

I've been flipping thru a book on the CoC, and I think I've stumbled on to something. Someone mentioned that the CoC teaches that if you are not CoC, you are not saved. Well, I was reading about their beliefs, and it suddenly made sense to me. They see themselves as the "true" Church. So therefore, anyone who is part of the "true Church" is, by default, CoC---whether you know it or not. :o

It actually makes sense to me, because its a very "Catholic" (and catholic) way of looking at the body of believers. The RCC also teaches that ALL believers are part of the Catholic Church---by definition.

Yeah, I know you vehemently disagree, I'm just explaining my understanding of why the CoC seems so ----not sure what you call it??---exclusionary? In reality, they are just the opposite. In their eyes, if you are a true believer---you ARE CoC.

:emot-hug:

Shalom Fiosh,

I wish that were true, but some of their statements say otherwise. Some things such as being baptized into CoC is the ONLY recognized baptism and without that one is not saved. That's just one sticking point.

I've been flipping thru a book on the CoC, and I think I've stumbled on to something. Someone mentioned that the CoC teaches that if you are not CoC, you are not saved. Well, I was reading about their beliefs, and it suddenly made sense to me. They see themselves as the "true" Church. So therefore, anyone who is part of the "true Church" is, by default, CoC---whether you know it or not. :o

It actually makes sense to me, because its a very "Catholic" (and catholic) way of looking at the body of believers. The RCC also teaches that ALL believers are part of the Catholic Church---by definition.

Yeah, I know you vehemently disagree, I'm just explaining my understanding of why the CoC seems so ----not sure what you call it??---exclusionary? In reality, they are just the opposite. In their eyes, if you are a true believer---you ARE CoC.

:emot-hug:

Your understanding in that is incorrect, sorry to say.

Shalom,

Would you then please post the correct understanding?

Since the church is the body of Christ he is referring to there only being one church.

Shalom Cardcaptor,

I really appreciate you posting all this. Thank you!!

I want to reply to this one thing for now....

I believe that is a wrong interpretation of the Scripture. Using the CoC's own method, we need to read what is there and not add to it.

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

We are baptized into ONE BODY. It does not say one "church", one "denomination" or anything of the sort. It is ONE BODY, that is, the Body Of Messiah, the family of Christ linked together by the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I attended COC with my husband right after we got married. I was asking him all sorts of questions. Everything that I have seen posted so far is right on with what i have experienced. Even in the wake of Katrina, the church prayed only for their members that were affected. I was shocked. I was shocked because i dont wear a prayer bonnet and i donated my hair to locks of love, but yet i am doomed for hell. The reason presented for no muscial instruments was based on the interpretation of two gentlemen back in the early days of the church. Becuase the never saw musical instruments in the new testament, they were not to be in their church. The adultyery in that church, the gossip, the condemnation, and lack of leadership, and my husband was threatend with his life by another member about teaching 1 Corinthians11. The good note is we no longer attend that congregation. We are attending the church i attended before we go married.

Yet, I have met a couple that was family friend with his parents, and i met his parents and grandmother that all of these people attend COC in Texas. They were the most friendly, loving people that i have met in a long time. I had a hard time believing that they grew up in COC.

Max Lucado is also COC. But my inlaws cannot stand him, nor do they support him. :taped:

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I attended COC with my husband right after we got married. I was asking him all sorts of questions. Everything that I have seen posted so far is right on with what i have experienced. Even in the wake of Katrina, the church prayed only for their members that were affected. I was shocked. I was shocked because i dont wear a prayer bonnet and i donated my hair to locks of love, but yet i am doomed for hell. The reason presented for no muscial instruments was based on the interpretation of two gentlemen back in the early days of the church. Becuase the never saw musical instruments in the new testament, they were not to be in their church. The adultyery in that church, the gossip, the condemnation, and lack of leadership, and my husband was threatend with his life by another member about teaching 1 Corinthians11. The good note is we no longer attend that congregation. We are attending the church i attended before we go married.

Yet, I have met a couple that was family friend with his parents, and i met his parents and grandmother that all of these people attend COC in Texas. They were the most friendly, loving people that i have met in a long time. I had a hard time believing that they grew up in COC.

Max Lucado is also COC. But my inlaws cannot stand him, nor do they support him. :taped:

I don't know what kinda CoC you atteneded but we pray for EVERYBODY, and whats a prayer bonnet, and why can't you cut your hair? Evidently there are all kinda groups out there that call themselves CoC that are absolutely nothing like the one I grew up.

Glad you got away from them bb!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

This isn't really on-topic, but given the conversations here in the past few days, I found this ironic. A Church of Christ in the town where I work was struck by lightning and burned to the ground a couple days ago. Huh.

Seriously, pray for these people.

• 4 months later...
Guest BackInTouch

Any church that says a condition of salvation is to adhere to a belief that is not in Jesus alone is a heresy. The ONLY WAY to salvation is through Christ, not through men or any rituals that a church may practice. Some churches say that you must follow and worship their founders or leaders in order to be saved or maybe be baptised in a certain way but in the end they are wrong and teach false doctorine.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

What is it with people pulling up old threads????? :24: