IGNORED

Did anyone see the debate on TV last night?

undone

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

If people don't like something, they are entitled to say.

But if it insults a person in the process, like, direct insult upon their character, then it shouldn't be said.

I have never come out against Ray Comfort's character, just what he's doing. Calling someone negative, all brains and no heart, of things of that, are judgments of character.

Back to the topic:

I probably would feel more comfortable with Ray Comfort going public (though I still don't think he should) than Kirk Cameron. Ray Comfort is great at teaching people how to evangelize...but he's not an apologist. Going on and performing an apologetic role just wouldn't work. I, likewise, am not an apologist (in the strict studied sense of the word). It's not like I'm being an elitist - I'm merely saying we should do what God has called us to do, and not fulfill roles He hasn't called us to.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Here's my stab at a public appeal for all to take personal matters to the PM box so that the topic can remain open for discussion.

Remember, though, please remain respectful and mature in your PM's. One day, we will be sitting down together with the truth revealed to us. I have a feeling when that happens, there ain't going to be many of us who will be able to jump up and say "Ha! I knew I was the one who was right!".

In other words, I think we may all eat a small portion of humble pie when God reveals all. It's possible that we can practice for that day right here and now. :P

t.

I probably would feel more comfortable with Ray Comfort going public (though I still don't think he should) than Kirk Cameron. Ray Comfort is great at teaching people how to evangelize...but he's not an apologist. Going on and performing an apologetic role just wouldn't work. I, likewise, am not an apologist (in the strict studied sense of the word). It's not like I'm being an elitist - I'm merely saying we should do what God has called us to do, and not fulfill roles He hasn't called us to.

Is it possible that he was called for such a role, but simply isn't very good at it yet? :P

t.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Is it possible that he was called for such a role, but simply isn't very good at it yet? :P

t.

Then he shouldn't be doing it in public. :24:

That is my entire point. Maybe he is called to be an apologist - he does surround himself with some decent thinkers, and he is a big help in the ID movement for his defense for it via articles - but he hasn't come around.

At the risk of having arrogance claims thrown my way...

I'm called to be a professor and possibly a missionary overseas in that same capacity. I'll want to teach philosophy, theology, and history. This is my calling. Does it mean that I should start sending out my resume and application to universities around the world? Of course not, I haven't reached my potential in my calling yet.

I would say that if Ray has been called to be an apologist, he has yet to reach his potential.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

As you said, I did not know that.

I only saw the last half of the show. As I watched, I wondered why they chose Comfort/Cameron. I have respect for those guys but surely there are more highly qualified folks available. I assumed it was because of Kirk Cameron's celebrity status.

Comfort and Cameron were on the show because Ray challenged the atheists to a debate. The founders of the blasphemy challenge were defiantly mocking God and Comfort choose to confront them on it and also use it as a witnessing opportunity.

People may complain ... but at least someone did something.

:P amen!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

When God calls someone, it is often as the person is already doing what they were called to do. I have been taught by leaders, successful ones, that if you are called, begin to do it, walk in it. As you grow in it, He will release you into it.

To become a leader in Christ, start to lead where you are. God sees the heart, and HE advances us. You don't wait until you think you are ready. God will make you ready as He is pleased with you walking in the anointing.

At the risk of having arrogance claims thrown my way...

:emot-hug:

Here? Never! :wub:

I'm called to be a professor and possibly a missionary overseas in that same capacity. I'll want to teach philosophy, theology, and history. This is my calling. Does it mean that I should start sending out my resume and application to universities around the world? Of course not, I haven't reached my potential in my calling yet.

I pray the Lord grants you every opportunity for success!

Actually, though, I would start sending out resumes. I mean, why not? I'm truly ignorant of the ways of structured academia, but maybe they need someone to jump right in with some common sense. Young and inexperienced does not always equate to a void in qualifications. By now, you may have noticed in your schools that there have been teachers that have taken jobs, yet still studied further (as you have probably done yourself). They may have years to go before someone may consider them "qualified" to teach their classes, but they can teach what they know anyway, and still remain faithful to further study.

I'm a military guy and if I was to second guess every assignment that came my way, I wouldn't have gotten very far, indeed. There have been many assignments of which I thought that maybe I was not qualified for, or that I should have waited a bit until I took them, but then again, how else was I to learn? Sometimes, you simply have to jump right in and go for it. You'll (and by this, I mean anyone) get the hang of it eventually, and most of this stuff comes from experience in the first place. I kinda admire these two for stepping up and venturing into hostile territory and giving it their best shot. By doing so, perhaps they can learn from their mistakes and drive on in the future with a greater knowledge.

After all, they have to start somewhere.

I would say that if Ray has been called to be an apologist, he has yet to reach his potential.

I think that applies to all of us, wouldn't you say? :24:

But, having said what I have, I do recognize your points as true, to a point. I think that it can be dangerous to go out and try to present and defend the Gospel without proper training, education, and a true calling to do so. You could wind up falling flat on your face and even possible turn people away from Christ if you go about it the wrong way. That much is very true.

I know myself, and my understanding of the Gospel. When it comes to things I know little about, I'm thankful that God has given me the wisdom to defer to others who know. In my case, I stick to what I know and try to learn of the things I am weak on. Sometimes, I just have to say......"I don't know".

Knowing this much, I can still defend the Gospel and in no way am I going to shrink from debate about it. I think the Bible does a wonderful job of explaining itself, so I refer to it often while keeping my own words limited.

If this man has been called, and is willing to go on tv and present his side, he deserves our prayers, IMO. He might not have reached his potential as an apologist, but he tried, and he's probably better off for doing so. He learned something which he can take to the next experience, and in doing so, presented the Gospel to an audience that may have never heard it before somewhere out there.

If someone confronts him and tells him that they are worse off for hearing it the way he presented it, then he can apologize and try to set the record straight. There's only so much a person can do, but I admire someone for at least trying. :P

:P

t.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I didn't see the debate, but after reading this whole thread, maybe God made sure that the two atheist they were debating were not of the caliber that could make them look bad? :P

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I didn't see the debate, but after reading this whole thread, maybe God made sure that the two atheist they were debating were not of the caliber that could make them look bad? :noidea:

There is a link in a couple of these posts if your interested in watching it... :)

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I didn't see the debate, but after reading this whole thread, maybe God made sure that the two atheist they were debating were not of the caliber that could make them look bad? :)

There is a link in a couple of these posts if your interested in watching it... :)

Yeah, I book marked the site already, figured I listen to it later!

:noidea: