IGNORED

Did anyone see the debate on TV last night?

undone

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

Presenting the gospel and defending the gospel are two different things.

Who is saying differently???

Anyone defending Cameron/Comfort as apologists. :thumbsup:

Bingo. By being there, they set themselves up as apologists.

Right. Under a broad definition, all Christians are apologists (due to 1 Peter 3:15). At the same time, not all of us are called to go before a televised audience and debate the issues. I certainly know I am not ready for that and if someone challenged me to it, I'd give them the e-mails of people I know who are qualified.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Anyone defending Cameron/Comfort as apologists. :wub:

Bingo. By being there, they set themselves up as apologists.

Right. Under a broad definition, all Christians are apologists (due to 1 Peter 3:15). At the same time, not all of us are called to go before a televised audience and debate the issues. I certainly know I am not ready for that and if someone challenged me to it, I'd give them the e-mails of people I know who are qualified.

:thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Anyone defending Cameron/Comfort as apologists. :)

lol...you know it's kind of funny. Many Christians on this very board cannot even defend what they believe to other believers, yet they think they're qualified to defend the gospel in ANY setting, even among very educated and articulate atheists. If people can't even follow a discussion and realize what the debate is about...how do they expect us to believe they're qualified to defend the gospel against unbelievers? :thumbsup:

I don't believe anyone has claimed Cameron and Comfort as apologists... in your mold.( Maybe I missed it.) But I do believe we all are, basically.

If they're not apologists, then you should agree they shouldn't be on TV acting like professional apologists. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081

Sheesh will you all stop going around arguing over each other's viewpoints. It's ridiculous to read really.

Yes Ray and Kirk are not apologetists who trained for it and so forth and have years of experience. I don't believe they ever claimed to be. But really, they at least did something.

There was a debate. The gospel went out on national television. Great. Lets all just leave it at that ok? Think about it, were the past four pages of this thread really God glorifying? Were your thoughts and motives behind your posts and arguments truly with the thought of honouring God and being a blessing to fellow brothers and sisters in Christ?

Please people, give it a thought.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Sheesh will you all stop going around arguing over each other's viewpoints. It's ridiculous to read really.

Yes Ray and Kirk are not apologetists who trained for it and so forth and have years of experience. I don't believe they ever claimed to be. But really, they at least did something.

There was a debate. The gospel went out on national television. Great. Lets all just leave it at that ok? Think about it, were the past four pages of this thread really God glorifying? Were your thoughts and motives behind your posts and arguments truly with the thought of honouring God and being a blessing to fellow brothers and sisters in Christ?

Yes.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Amen! :thumbsup:

God ordained it, and so His truth went forth! How dare anyone castigate brothers in Christ for doing what they so bravely did! God bless Ray and Kirk!

Isn't that what you're doing with your post? :thumbsup:

By showing up they give the perception they are apologists. It is like someone putting on a police uniform and pulling someone over. Even if he never says, "I'm a police officer," he certainly gives off the perception that he is.

Secondly, sometimes doing something isn't good. If they had been debating real atheists, it could have been harmful to the faith (in terms of witnessing and plausibility) had they accepted the debate.

Does your post glorify God? What standard are you using? I mean, you are doing the exact same thing we did.

Regardless, the Gospel is not pragmatic. Just because it's "preached" doesn't mean it's always a good thing. If it's done in a manner that disrespects it, or is counter-intuitive to the truth of the Gospel, then it doesn't really matter if it was preached or not.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081

Apoth. I ask again. Not that I am expecting people to post their answers to my questions of course but just something to actually think about.

Apoth. I ask again. Not that I am expecting people to post their answers to my questions of course but just something to actually think about.

And I answer it again:

Does your post glorify God? What standard are you using? I mean, you are doing the exact same thing we did.

Regardless, the Gospel is not pragmatic. Just because it's "preached" doesn't mean it's always a good thing. If it's done in a manner that disrespects it, or is counter-intuitive to the truth of the Gospel, then it doesn't really matter if it was preached or not.