CBS axes radio show after prank

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Marnie's comment: Is everybody that sensitive these days that they've forgotten the proverb about "sticks and stones?" There's just got to money involved here.

The Don Imus effect took down more shock jocks yesterday after an Asian-mocking joke left CBS radio execs with another hole in their schedule.

CBS confirmed "The Dog House with JV and Elvis" show was canned permanently after an on-air prank call three weeks ago ordered "slimp flied lice" from a Chinese restaurant.

The show's on-air hosts, Jeff Vandergrift and Dan Lay, were suspended as CBS decided their future.

" 'The Dog House with JV and Elvis' will no longer be broadcast," said CBS Radio spokeswoman Karen Mateo.

"In the wake of the Imus case, it would have been maddening to the community if these idiots did not get fired," said Queens City Councilman John Liu.

The show had aired on WFNY-FM in the slot immediately after shock jocks Opie and Anthony - whose careers also hang in the balance.

The pair - whose real names are Gregg Hughes and Anthony Cumia - apologized Friday after a broadcast in which a guest mused about raping Secretary of State Rice, First Lady Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth.

They are still expected to be on the air tomorrow.

And comedian Donnell (Ashy) Rawlings also lost his job on New York's Power 105.1 FM station last week after he was suspended for making an anti-Semitic remark - reportedly saying "a cheap black guy" should be better known as "a Jewish black guy."

The spate of radio brouhahas follows the firing of high-profile shock jock Don Imus last month after he referred to the Rutgers university women's basketball team as "nappy-headed ho's."

The outrage was led by the Rev. Al Sharpton, who said yesterday he wants to meet Hughes and Cumia's bosses about the rape comments.

"My personal feeling is they should have already been fired," he said.

But 100 protesters yesterday gathered in Union Square to support radio personalities under fire.

"It's not about whether you like what you heard or not," said Debbie Wolf, president of People Against Censorship. "I find censorship to be far more offensive than anything that was said."

NY Daily News

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I am betwixt and between. If the private sector does it, is it 'censorship'? Haven't they a right to run their own businesses as it pleases them?

I am betwixt and between. If the private sector does it, is it 'censorship'? Haven't they a right to run their own businesses as it pleases them?

They are caving to pressure from ghouls like Al Sharpton. It's all politics, Leonard.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

They are caving to pressure from ghouls like Al Sharpton. It's all politics, Leonard.

I really agree. Sharpton is a fascist. He won't be happy until every white person who's ever not felt guilty about it is in prison.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Not if liberals have anything to say about it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/13/1987

If the Feds had a part in it, then I'd scream censorship. But it's a private company and they can run thier business however they so choose.

If the Feds had a part in it, then I'd scream censorship. But it's a private company and they can run thier business however they so choose.

But they're not. They are being coerced into conforming to somebody else's standards. The power of political pressure groups cannot be underestimated. Advertisers are basically whimps these days; they continually yield to every minority that cried "Foul!" It's really quite sickening. Today it's goof heads like Imus and a couple of other shock-jocks that are in their cross hairs. Tomorrow these fascists will come gunning for who? James Dobson? Pat Robertson? Rush Limbaugh? Your pastor, if he's on the radio or TV?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I think it's common sense.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/13/1987

But they're not. They are being coerced into conforming to somebody else's standards. The power of political pressure groups cannot be underestimated. Advertisers are basically whimps these days; they continually yield to every minority that cried "Foul!" It's really quite sickening. Today it's goof heads like Imus and a couple of other shock-jocks that are in their cross hairs. Tomorrow these fascists will come gunning for who? James Dobson? Pat Robertson? Rush Limbaugh? Your pastor, if he's on the radio or TV?

They called a Chinese restaurant and made fun of people based on their race and ethnicity. The other two guys made jokes about raping women. There is nothing funny about rape! They are employees not independent broadcasters. Any company that would allow their employees to make direct racial comments to people and violent sexual comments against women is a company that doesn't need to stand. Is there pressure on CBS from the public? Yes! And there should be! Those guys need to be seriously reprimanded for what they did.

My pastor is on the radio and he doesn't make racist or sexual comments.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know the whole story, nor to full extent of the prank - but where is the line between clean poking fun at "quirks" of other cultures and dialects and such and that of offense?

What I mean is this: remember the scene near the end of "A Christmas Story" where the family goes to a Japanese restaurant for Christmas dinner? And the waiters are singing, "Deck the harrs with berrs of horry, fa-ra-ra-ra-ra ra-ra-ra-ra!"

Is something like that going to be deemed offensive? :)

They called a Chinese restaurant and made fun of people based on their race and ethnicity. The other two guys made jokes about raping women. There is nothing funny about rape! They are employees not independent broadcasters. Any company that would allow their employees to make direct racial comments to people and violent sexual comments against women is a company that doesn't need to stand. Is there pressure on CBS from the public? Yes! And there should be! Those guys need to be seriously reprimanded for what they did.

My pastor is on the radio and he doesn't make racist or sexual comments.

1. Don't listen to them. Problem solved.

2. I'll bet you your pastor is offending somebody with his sermons.

I'll agree, there is nothing funny about rape having been through it. But there is nothing funny about told what you can say and what you can't. These shock jocks are hired specifically to shock people. If they go too far, let them be reprimanded, not fired. After all, they were doing exactly what they were hired to do.

Please understand, I hate these guys, I do NOT listen to them. I practice self-censorship. I do NOT need a political action group doing it for me.