IGNORED

Movie Theaters : Do you bring your own drinks and snacks?

Vickilynn

Movie Theater Snacks - Yours or Theirs?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. So, is it really WRONG to bring in your own snacks and drinks to the movie that you paid to see? It's not a LAW, right?

• No, it's not wrong. The theater prices are highway robbery
    • No, it's not wrong, it's a rule, not a LAW
    • Yes, it's wrong, we should obey the theater rules
    • Yes, it's wrong, we are robbing the theater owners of their mega-profits

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

They confiscate an EMPTY water bottle?

Not at our theater. An empty bottle isnt bringing in food or drinks.

:whistling: I dunno. You know, until I read this, I would never have even thought bringing in food to a theater! I mean, it just seems...improper (?) or something.

you don't know what you're missing! :thumbsup:

I grew up bringing food into the theater -- whenever my family decided it was movie night, entrance to the theater was always preceeded by a stop at the gas station to load mom's giant purse.

Wow.....what an eye-opener. It's a whole world I never knew existed!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

I never had a problem paying for snacks at the local movie theater, mainly because even with the ticket prices I was getting my money's worth (then again, where I come from has one of the best theater chains in the world, I know at one point it was ranked the #1 theater in the world). It's hard to complain about a $12 ticket when you're sitting on a couch in a balcony, having a hamburger served to you, surrounded by THX digital sound, and a 4 story screen with basically HD quality...it's worth the ticket price. :whistling:

I have no problem paying $8 a ticket when I'm promised digital THX in every single room for every single movie.

Of course, I've gone to one movie since leaving my home town...and it's because none of the other theaters are worth the money. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I do miss the old drive in theaters.

We used to get a pizza and fill the cooler with drinks, make a big bag of jiffy pop at home and head off to the movies.

We went in our jammies in case we fell asleep, mom wouldnt have to change our clothes when we got home.

What great memories, those were.

Guest LadyC

there are still a few drive-ins around. haven't been to one in years, but my daughter and her husband sometimes go to the one here in vegas.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,956
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  233
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I would love to go to a drive through ;):taped: the nearest we get to them is seeing them on tv :whistling::thumbsup::rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I wish they made Imax home theatres. :whistling:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

We used to get a pizza and fill the cooler with drinks, make a big bag of jiffy pop at home and head off to the movies.

We went in our jammies in case we fell asleep, mom wouldnt have to change our clothes when we got home.

Same here!

:whistling:

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

If I had the money, I would build a drive-in.

Show all the classic movies.

What fun.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom,

Thanks for the answers.

I am old enough to remember when bringing in your own candy, food and drinks was the way it was done! Yes, we all stopped at the convenience store, got our goodies and gave them to Mom to bring in her big purse. No one frowned on that at all.

THEN, some years later, the theaters decided to put a stop to bringing in outside food and told us we could not longer do that. :24:

We've tried to stick by the rules, but lately, well, the prices at the concession stand EXCEED the ticket prices when we have the family. And, it's nothing but profit.

This week we all went to a movie and I decided to go back to bringing in drinks and candy from home. The theater's RULE is just that and frankly, I don't believe that it is right. So, we brought in drinks and candy and bought a large popcorn to share.

Too bad the movie stunk *Pirates 3* and the whole thing was a waste of money.

Oh and to answer Marnie's questions (which were prolly rhetorical, but I like to answer them, :24:

Marnie, I am hoping that your questions were just jokes, but going by the written words, I am not sure. So, I'll reply as if they were real, serious questions in case anyone else was wondering.

Here you would have to sneak in a water or whatever; they will confiscate it. :24:How cheap do you have to be try and sneak in a snack from home, anyway?

It's not being "cheap" dear. How often do you have to pay for a large family to go to the movie and worry if you will have enough for all the kids to get in? For some families, especially ones on fixed incomes like mine, just going to the theater to see a movie is an extravagance and the cost of food on top of that could make that fun outing impossible. Maybe you've never had to worry about money, but it's certainly not being "cheap" to try to be frugal to allow your family some fun once in awhile. In fact, it's being a good steward IMHO.

I know the manager of one theater in town and she jokes about the way you make money in the movie business: buy a popcorn stand and build a movie theater around it! Yeah, it's highway robbery...so how hard is it to sit for two hours and not eat or drink?? I go to the movies to see a movie on a big screen; I don't go there to eat.

How hard is it? Well, I'm diabetic and sometimes it's VERY hard. Also, that's not the point. You may go there to see a movie, but part of the fun for some people is enjoying the whole experience. I guess I should point out that just cuz YOU feel or do something a certain way, doesn't make it wrong to do it another. JUst cuz you don't go there to eat doesn't mean no one else should.

For that matter, how hard is it just to wait a couple of months and just rent or buy the DVD?? You watch it on your own 60 inch HDTV with Bose surround sound and bingo! You have a movie theater experience in the comfort of your home.

YOU have a 60-inch TV? Cool! I don't. And, sadly, no Bose Surround Sound either. :emot-hug: So, yeah, going to the theater once in awhile is a treat for my family. And some movies are much better on the big screen!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

Same here!

:emot-hug:

We have a drive-in a couple miles away. 5 bucks a person and it's always a double feature. Love it.