• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/24/1971

I had been using the NASB for 35 years, but like you I have begun using the Holman. It retains the faithfulness to the Greek and Hebrew text (like the NASB) , but is more readable.

I have to agree with the other brother I just love the translation and Its faithfulness to the Greek and Hebrew text, but is more readable. I just cant put my finger on I know thats not the best answer but my Congregation love it as well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

In the past I've used many different translations, but now it the NASB (I wouldn't mind the NKJV either)... But they only serve to point me into critical word studies in the priginal languages... So much can be learned from that, to avoid it (word study in original language) is doing one's self a great dis-service...

:emot-hug:

Edited by Motivated By Grace

Oh let's see...........

KJV, ESV, NASB, Amplified, Greek Interlinear (falling apart!), NIV, NLT.

Haven't had the chance to check out the Holman yet.

Oh, and E-Sword for Windows, and SWORD Project for Linux. Lot's of features and they are FREE!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Oh let's see...........

KJV, ESV, NASB, Amplified, Greek Interlinear (falling apart!), NIV, NLT.

Haven't had the chance to check out the Holman yet.

Oh, and E-Sword for Windows, and SWORD Project for Linux. Lot's of features and they are FREE!

Het Walla? You might find "Bible Explorer" interesting also! :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19

Hi! I use The Companion Bible KJV with commentary by EW Bullinger-(He provides great,but not always perfect, commentary and he was one of the only Christians to be allowed to edit the Massorah). Along with that, I use Green's Interlinear(an inexpensive way to have a copy of the manuscripts)and Strong's concordance for KJV and Smith's Bible dictionary.I'll never give up my worn copy of the RSV that I was brought up on and which is also my trusty companion. I feel that the further you get away from the manuscipts the better chance you have to lose some truths.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

:emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I use several like NIV,TNIV, NKJV,KJV, and NSAB for Bible study.

ditto :thumbsup:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

KJV and NKJV. My current copy of the KJV belonged to my father who died 5 years ago at the age of 92. I find it hugely comforting to read his margin notes and share the verses he underlined. It's an added bonus to have the words of my earthly father alongside the words of my Heavenly Father.

Does anyone else find it really hard when eventually a much loved and worn Bible has to be replaced, especially if it is not possible to find the same layout? I get so used to a particular Bible that even if I cannot remember an exact chapter and verse, I know in which column to find the verse, or whether it was on a lefthand or righthand page. And then there's all the margin notes and underlined verses that one has to start again with... It's almost like a bereavement when an old Bible wears out and has to be replaced!

In Jesus,

Ruth

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

I am always as to which bible people are using and what makes them decide on that bible. I know I have changed over the years I used to be strictly KJV now I use the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible} I have loved it ever since I was sent a paperback New Testament version of it to check out in 2004.

Now I actually have the HCSB Ministers edition.

I had been using the NASB for 35 years, but like you I have begun using the Holman. It retains the faithfulness to the Greek and Hebrew text (like the NASB) , but is more readable.

When doing Bible study, I use several versions for comparission in addition to the Greek and Hebrew (NASB, NIV, RSV, NKJV, Luther Bibel)

I highly recommend "Bible Works" for computer based Bible Study software. It has more versions than you could ever need, and lots of other resources

BibleWorks rocks. I haven't figured out one quarter of it. I know it will do a lot, but I don't know what most of it is!

I am partial to the NIV, NASB, ESV, NEB, KJV, and the HCSB. I also like interlinears, although I can't read one bit of Hebrew or Greek.

Do you do the regular updates off of their site? They are always adding to and improving it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

KJV and NKJV. My current copy of the KJV belonged to my father who died 5 years ago at the age of 92. I find it hugely comforting to read his margin notes and share the verses he underlined. It's an added bonus to have the words of my earthly father alongside the words of my Heavenly Father.

Does anyone else find it really hard when eventually a much loved and worn Bible has to be replaced, especially if it is not possible to find the same layout? I get so used to a particular Bible that even if I cannot remember an exact chapter and verse, I know in which column to find the verse, or whether it was on a lefthand or righthand page. And then there's all the margin notes and underlined verses that one has to start again with... It's almost like a bereavement when an old Bible wears out and has to be replaced!

In Jesus,

Ruth

When I switched from NASB to Holman, I had an NASB I had been using for 20 years. Tons' of notes and quiet time entries. I keep it, and transfer stuff when appropriate. It was hard to switch for that reason. It was like an old friend

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10

KJV, NKJV, & NIV. I have a study bible that is NAS, but I dont use if very much.