• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

My pastor asked me tonite at church if I would give a testimony of my relationship with my dad on this sundays Fathers day program at church.

I have NEVER spoke in church before.

You see, I was raised in a church that didnt allow women to speak in church. Now, I'm not saying that it is wrong, I'm just saying it isnt something that we did.

So the thought of standing up and people listening to me in church just scares the bajeebers out of me.

As soon as the pastor asked me, my heart started racing, I started panting and short of breath, my hands got sweaty and I got light headed.

I told him that I just couldnt do it. I said that I wasnt comfortable speaking in front of people. I even quit going to wednesday nite services because we all had to pray outloud in prayer request groups. They stopped doing that so I went back to wednesdays.

When announcements need made, I ask someone to do it for me.

Anyways, the pastor told me to think about it and let him know sunday. He was persistant and said I may never get this chance again and that I would regret not doing it.He said noone will bite me. We are all friends here. No pressure there.

Talk about your guilt trips.

I just cant do it. The mere thought of it just petrifies me.

I couldnt do it in school and I cant do it now.

HELP!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

My pastor asked me tonite at church if I would give a testimony of my relationship with my dad on this sundays Fathers day program at church.

You see, I was raised in a church that didnt allow women to speak in church. Now, I'm not saying that it is wrong, I'm just saying it isnt something that we did.

So the thought of standing up and people listening to me in church just scares the bajeebers out of me.

As soon as the pastor asked me, my heart started racing, I started panting and short of breath, my hands got sweaty and I got light headed.

I told him that I just couldnt do it. I said that I wasnt comfortable speaking in front of people. I even quit going to wednesday nite services because we all had to pray outloud in prayer request groups. They stopped doing that so I went back to wednesdays.

Anyways, the pastor told me to think about it and let him know sunday. He was persistant and said I may never get this chance again and that I would regret not doing it.He said noone will bite me. We are all friends here. No pressure there.

HELP!

I don't think anyone should put pressure on you to do anything you're not comfortable with. I mean, sometimes people need a gentle nudge in a direction to give them some courage, but others [like you maybe] know their limits and no amount of nudging is going to help them. I think maybe your pastor doesn't understand your fear and he probably thinks you just need a gentle nudge. You'll probably just have to sit him down and explain that this is almost like a phobia that you have. Maybe he felt like you were entertaining the idea so it was still a possibility? :rolleyes:

I am SOOO freaking out.

I am considering skipping church sunday so I can avoid it all together.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

HELP!

Giaour, I had to do public speaking when I was a trainer at my company a few years ago. I learned some basic, but invaluable, tips that may help. First, don't memorize a script, speak from notes (less chance of drawing a blank!) If you know your subject, and I'm sure you do, you come across much better by speaking 'off the cuff'. Second, speak to one person at a time (shift your focus back and forth between people); nothing scary about speaking to just one person right? And third, query your audience; ask for questions and/or affirmation. When you do this the whole thing becomes a dialogue instead of a monologue. Hope this helps some. You say you couldn't do it in school? Neither could I! But, it's funny, when you have done it once you will be fine from then on. I KNOW it's hard.....but you can do it! :rolleyes:

This is just too overwhelming to me. Shouldnt I start small like learning to pray outloud in a small group, then move on to being able to make announcements in church, then maybe a part in a skit, THEN maybe a testimony?

I am such a coward

Those are great suggestions but I dont HAVE to do this so why should I force myself into a panic?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Not crazy about speaking in front of people either. But we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

Practise saying what you want to say - out loud - in a park or backyard.

Don't look anyone in the eye - look just over the tops of their heads.

Why isnt anyone telling me to just not do it?

:wub:

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I am such a coward

You are NOT a coward, Giaour, you're just human! Hardly anyone is a born public speaker. You articulate very well on this board; you can do it in a speaking role also. :wub: