New Drug Deletes Bad Memories

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

@ ladypeartree, you have some really good points. (others have good points too, but my memory is not as good as it used to be and I don't have time to read all the posts again)

I just thought of something, think of the Alzheimer patient who wishes he could remember, but forgets. He wishes for a drug that will give back his memory, or the person with amnesia. Oh my!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

My life has made me who I am. The evil that men intend God uses for Good in the lives of His children. We're supposed to accept what God gives us with open arms in order to learn the lesson He would have for us. You would be fundamentally different after being given this drug.

A drug which would lessen the severity of severe pain immediately after a trauma which would also fade away over time and allow the person to deal with said pain at a time when they are stronger might be useful, but not one that totally messes with the memory. I'm not a fan of legislation but that should be illegal.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

I can see only potential horrible uses for a drug such as this.

Like all things allegedly developed for "good" this drug has so many evil purposes it is not funny.

Come to think of it, I cannot really think of a "good" use for it either.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Do you have a really bad memory, or past heartache, that you would prefer to forget?

In a new study, published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research, the drug propranolol is used along with therapy to "dampen" memories of trauma victims. They treated 19 accident or rape victims for ten days, during which the patients were asked to describe their memories of the traumatic event that had happened 10 years earlier. Some patients were given the drug, which is also used to treat amnesia, while others were given a placebo.

A week later, they found that patients given the drug showed fewer signs of stress when recalling their trauma.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::noidea:

I'm laughing because this is so unbelievable. I am a victim of trauma and so when I saw this title I was VERY interested in finding out more. Maybe this could help me get over the trauma that I have experienced too.

Then I read the article ... :emot-highfive:

But I am already on this drug Propranolol!!!!! :noidea: I have already taken a tablet of this drug today!!!! :noidea:

Let me speak from my OWN personal experience ... IT DOES NOT "DAMPEN" MY MEMORIES!

Oh well! ... Dream on ... It would have been nice ... but .... quite simply, NO! IT DOESN'T DELETE BAD MEMORIES!!! :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Do you have a really bad memory, or past heartache, that you would prefer to forget?

Researchers at Harvard and McGill University (in Montreal) are working on an amnesia drug that blocks or deletes bad memories. The technique seems to allow psychiatrists to disrupt the biochemical pathways that allow a memory to be recalled.

In a new study, published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research, the drug propranolol is used along with therapy to "dampen" memories of trauma victims. They treated 19 accident or rape victims for ten days, during which the patients were asked to describe their memories of the traumatic event that had happened 10 years earlier. Some patients were given the drug, which is also used to treat amnesia, while others were given a placebo.

A week later, they found that patients given the drug showed fewer signs of stress when recalling their trauma.

Similar research led by Professor Joseph LeDoux has been carried out at New York University on rats; scientists were able to remove a specific memory from the brains of rats while leaving the rest of the animals' memories intact. An amnesia drug called U0126 was administered.

The rats were trained to associate two musical tones with a mild electrical shock so that when they heard either of the tones they would brace themselves for a shock. The researchers then gave half the rats the drug when playing one of the musical tones.

After the treatment, the rats that had been given the drug no longer associated that particular tone with an imminent shock but still braced themselves upon hearing the second tone, demonstrating only one memory had been deleted.

TECHNOVELGY

All memories are good memories when you learn something from them, and we learn something from every memory. It makes no sense to "delete" them. It's like burning all the bad History books. How will we learn or be able to teach others? Even if it is what NOT to do.

The Bible is just filled with examples of what NOT to do. So is most History.

This topic reminds me of Babel and the only One wise enough to know when to press the "delete button".

Genesis 11:6-7

6) The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this,

then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.

7) Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

(confusion button, delete button, same thing)

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

All memories are good memories when you learn something from them, and we learn something from every memory.

Have got to disagree here! My mind is troubled by flashbacks to very painful events in my life. These are NOT good memories and the only good that can come from them is that I can empathise with other people who have similar, painful memories. It would be better if NOBODY suffered these painful memories.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

All memories are good memories when you learn something from them, and we learn something from every memory.

Have got to disagree here! My mind is troubled by flashbacks to very painful events in my life. These are NOT good memories and the only good that can come from them is that I can empathise with other people who have similar, painful memories. It would be better if NOBODY suffered these painful memories.

But they do.............and one day you will be able to help somebody because of them, you will never be glad to have gone through them, but it will make you so much more loving and understanding to those you help. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

But they do.............and one day you will be able to help somebody because of them, you will never be glad to have gone through them, but it will make you so much more loving and understanding to those you help. :blink:

Amen!

Afal, my point was leading in the direction of: men should never be in charge of the "deleting" of memories.

I'm sorry for the memories you have that are painful, I have them too, but I'd rather not see that technology in the hands of men who, most likely, abuse it.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

To all of us the following scripture is so full of hope.

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. 6If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 7And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

II corinthians 1:3-7

I am so thankful that no bad or evil memory is a waste. It drives me to God in prayer and I find that if I keep thanking God that He turns even this to my good I am given relief immediately from the torment of the bad memory. May all of us be encouraged in the truth that God is infinite. No matter how tormenting what happened to us or to those we love, God is bigger and takes it and turns it to our good. If nothing else it drives us to total dependence upon Him.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

I want to retain ALL my memories...good and bad. 100%.

God forbid I forget the road I have travelled, including all the potholes and smooth surfaces.

In life, if we are to be fruitful and have joy, we must learn how to deal with our past...good and bad. It doesn't help to cover it up or suppress our emotions.

My hope is that I have ALL my memories until the very moment I breath my last.