• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Somoene asked on another thread "Why would a christian be worried about offending anyone?" and gave this verse

James 3:2

2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

I have to say I wonder the same thing so much! Why are we afraid of offending someone when we talk about our beliefs, or when we witness to someone, and why are we afriad of being offended or even care? What right do we have as Christians to be offended, especially after what Christ has done for us????

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Somoene asked on another thread "Why would a christian be worried about offending anyone?" and gave this verse

2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

I have to say I wonder the same thing so much! Why are we afraid of offending someone when we talk about our beliefs, or when we witness to someone, and why are we afriad of being offended or even care? What right do we have as Christians to be offended, especially after what Christ has done for us????

I can't say I'm ever afraid of offending anyone by talking about my beliefs or my God; if they don't want to listen they can move along. But I would be offended if someone attacked my beliefs or tried to convert me to, say, Islam or Buddhism or Scientology or the like. In fact, I would be incensed. :emot-handshake:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  745
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  09/27/1976

In the other thread I mentioned that there are different scenarios we need to consider. When speaking of our interactions with other christians, we need to keep Romans 14 in the back of our minds. That is one of the most special chapters to me. It has gotten me through some "disputeable matters" with my brothers and sisters and kept things in perspective many times!

romans 14 - Study This Chapter

1 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" 12 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15 If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16 Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men. 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall. 22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

New International Version

There is also the matter of offending those who are not christians. I do not think we do ourselves any favors by steamrolling through conversations with un-believers with an, "I don't care" or huffy attitude. I do think we need to be straightforward in our witness and show that we are firm in our stance, but we also must ask the Holy Spirit to guide our words so that a work may be done in the other person's heart. I don't like to perpetuate the belief that christians are so UNlike Christ. Sure, even with that, they may be offended and that's ok, but we need to upright in our actions and not be so intent on "we don't care" that we show someone we don't care for them. Know what I mean?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The main problem is that the majority of Christians, at least here in the States, have become "Evan-jellyfish." We're trying to charm the world into a false conversion experience by trying to portray a non-Biblical, non-judgmental Jesus who is all about niceness and "getting along." Christians are now trying to win a popularity contest and are more concerned about conforming to the world than standing up for what matters, which ultimately is the salvation of the lost. The goal of today's typical Christian is to be perceived as being just as cool as everyone else and to break the mold of the world's stereotype of Christians. Pretty much it's self-promotion, not Christ-promotion. Christians today want the world to think that "they're alright." It's time for Christians to stop trying to act cool, get off their surfboards, put on some camel hair and start telling people to REPENT. We who believe in Christ are NOT on the same boat as the world. We once were, but the fact is,we're not. We've been redeemed and we have eternity with Jesus in heaven to look forward to. All these people we're trying to impress and convince that we're just like them, are going to end up rotting in hell because their Christian neighbors were too busy showing off their Christian contemporary music collection and demonstrating how one can be a Christian and still have fun.

Edited by FighterforJC

The main problem is that the majority of Christians, at least here in the States, have become "Evan-jellyfish." We're trying to charm the world into a false conversion experience by trying to portray a non-Biblical, non-judgmental Jesus who is all about niceness and "getting along." Christians are now trying to win a popularity contest and are more concerned about conforming to the world than standing up for what matters, which ultimately is the salvation of the lost. The goal of today's typical Christian is to be perceived as being just as cool as everyone else and to break the mold of the world's stereotype of Christians. Pretty much it's self-promotion, not Christ-promotion. Christians today want the world to think that "they're alright." It's time for Christians to stop trying to act cool, get off their surfboards, put on some camel hair and start telling people to REPENT. We who believe in Christ are NOT on the same boat as the world. We once were, but the fact is,we're not. We've been redeemed and we have eternity with Jesus in heaven to look forward to. All these people we're trying to impress and convince that we're just like them, are going to end up rotting in hell because their Christian neighbors were too busy showing off their Christian contemporary music collection and demonstrating how one can be a Christian and still have fun.

I understand what you're saying and I am not promoting that type of chrisitianity. However, we do need to realize that the world sees us as hypocrites and there is no reason to prove it to them. Before we open our mouths and mow people down, we need to be discerning. If you want to talk "biblically", who did Christ deal the most aggressively with? Who did Christ speak the truth to, but in love in a manner in which they would hear him? Question #1: A: those in the "know" religiously speaking, those who supposedly knew God.....Questions #2: A: the sinners

I have read and LOVE the "Journals of Aggressive Chrisitianity" by Catherine Booth (co-founder of the Salvation Army. you can download a copy at armybarmy.com) and she denounces the wishy-washy, wanting to be cool-ness too, so that is not what I am saying we should be. But she does see the need for us to seek guidance from the Holy Spirit.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

i think there are some that read this with tears in their eyes due to guilt.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Someone asked on another thread "Why would a christian be worried about offending anyone?" and gave this verse

I have to say I wonder the same thing so much! Why are we afraid of offending someone when we talk about our beliefs, or when we witness to someone, and why are we afraid of being offended or even care? What right do we have as Christians to be offended, especially after what Christ has done for us????

I try not offending because I have learned from hard experience that

Pro 18:19 A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.

There was a Sister that took many years to get past an offending comment I had made..

Not everything that comes out of my mouth is Godly.

We are going to offend as the scripture says but God forbid I do it on purpose....

As for sharing the Lord with folks ..share and then leave it to the Lord to touch the heart of the one you think may be offended...

Mat 11:6 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

Mat 26:33 Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.

Mat 26:34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

We are all at risk of being offended too......

It is especially easy to offend on the Internet because folks don't see your face or really know you or your heart and may easily misconstrue what you are trying to say..

Boy it has happened to me so many times ....makes me sad ....

and sometimes there is no reconcilliation and you end up stuck with someone offended by something you have said... :noidea:

Someone asked on another thread "Why would a christian be worried about offending anyone?" and gave this verse

I have to say I wonder the same thing so much! Why are we afraid of offending someone when we talk about our beliefs, or when we witness to someone, and why are we afraid of being offended or even care? What right do we have as Christians to be offended, especially after what Christ has done for us????

I try not offending because I have learned from hard experience that

Pro 18:19 A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.

There was a Sister that took many years to get past an offending comment I had made..

Not everything that comes out of my mouth is Godly.

We are going to offend as the scripture says but God forbid I do it on purpose....

As for sharing the Lord with folks ..share and then leave it to the Lord to touch the heart of the one you think may be offended...

Mat 11:6 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

Mat 26:33 Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended.

Mat 26:34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

We are all at risk of being offended too......

It is especially easy to offend on the Internet because folks don't see your face or really know you or your heart and may easily misconstrue what you are trying to say..

Boy it has happened to me so many times ....makes me sad ....

and sometimes there is no reconcilliation and you end up stuck with someone offended by something you have said... :21:

:emot-questioned::cool: Good post!

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Part of the problem of "being offensive" is in the fault of the speaker with the message. Part of the problem is society itself which does not, in general, believe it's wrong to ignore the finer points of ettiquette and yet cannot abide being contradicted even with the most pleasant of smiles and attitudes. And part of the problem is the whole notion of what a true offense is.

Everyone is offended these days. We can look at it in the context of wittnessing, exhorting those who are sinning to stop or trying to influence society and how to do these without making those around us want to slash our tires. However, this issue is a world view thing. For some reason we believe that we are entitled to NOT be offended by whatever views or actions other people take, and that this means we're not going to be....uncomfortable, incensed, irritated....

For instance...as a Christian I supposedly have a right NOT to be offended by my neighbours kid mentioning "the goddess" at school, and this kids family have the right NOT to be offended by my child's faith in Christ. I'm sorry people, with the definition I've used above, this is unworkable on the highest level if we all supposedly have the God given right to freedom of speech, association, expression and religion. Instead of being offended, we should be protecting each other's right to express our faith. Honestly, how valuable is "freedom of religion" if I will only put up with religions which do not annoy me in some way? What good is freedom of speech if I agree with it all? Isn't freedom of speech the right to say something which is garunteed to make someone else mad? I see one person after another on Christian discussion boards becoming "offended" when a heated doctrinal discussion starts and scripture gets bandied about which seems to call those who rub the hair on everyone else the wrong way into question. Is this right?

While we shouldn't be lobbing spitwads at each other, do we really have the right to not be confronted by the possibility that you are wrong? And isn't this what this whole thing is about? The historical and REAL definition of offense means does not cover these situations. The historical definition which includes the ideas of "To be caused to stumble so as to fall, to fail, to apostasize, to be brought down, to be crushed."

Nobody in the instances I've cited were truly "offended" in the historical sense. It is something which if left alone would destroy a person. My views on the end times, the proper mode of baptism, confederate flag or prayer in school will not destroy anyone. Neither will the opposing views destroy me.

So what does it mean to be "offended" in today's culture if it does not mean what it historically meant? Basically it comes down to we get our feelings hurt by the idea that we could be wrong, that someone would dare disagree with us and our cherished beliefs. I'm sorry but if that is what is meant by being offended, then we will most likely never be able to wittness without offense, we will never be able to correct a sinful member of the church without offense and a drive by my home might offend a good many of you, and as far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with being offensive in that manner. If you are going to be 'offended' by my doctrines, my flag or my kids...well you can go right on being that way. I will hold to what I know to be right until I know that I was mistaken. Then I will hold on to what I have learned just as closely.

When society teaches us that lobbing tearfaced accusations that I have somehow hurt you by my simply holding and expressing a belief, it is wrong and can never win. I have no right to be rude, but I do have the right to be truthful even if it hurts someone's feelings.

However, the church seems to have sucked in this newest component of the culture and made it part of it's own, misapplying scripture all the while. Hey if the body of Christ can't grow thicker skin I'm afraid we will become spiritual wimps, if we haven't already become them. THEN how are we going to do battle with the evils of the world? The world will tear apart a believer who can't handle having their feelings hurt. And what kind of society can't deal with this sort of thing as a whole? Manipulative, whining and emotionally stunted citisens will never be able to handle adversity should it come their way. Before we discern how to not offend, before we decide who is offended we need to define offended in a way that doesn't include irritation, anger or hurt feelings. Until then....well.... it's fruitless.