• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  183
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,892
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1985

Biased as usual but very well done and thought provoking. Our health system sucks compared to many other nations in the industrialized world and it is shameful for its treatment of the uninsured (underinsured) poor.

I agree that it was definitely a little slanted, but I can't ignore the overwhelmingly positive reviews it's received from just about everyone. There has been a lot of fact-checking and it sounds as though the movie is generally accurate. The worst criticism I've heard is that Moore glorified Canadian healthcare, which is only somewhat true, I think.

Sicko was leaked onto the internet three weeks ago and I was lucky enough to catch it on Google video. It got over 300 5-star ratings in the few hours before it was taken down. One of them was mine. I kinda wish I hadn't seen it so soon, because I was itching to talk with my friends about it but it hadn't even come out in theaters yet. :laugh:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I've been debating to myself whether or not to support this movie. On the one hand, I am intrigued by the subject matter, as I am not too happy with our medical care system myself. On the other hand, it's a Michael Moore movie...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I haven't seen it yet, but the health system and insurance companies are an easy target.

I saw Anderson Cooper the other night looking into the truth of the claims made by the film. And one point, he brought a person speaking on behalf of the insurance industry. She tried to explain the misrepresentation she felt existed in some of the case studies. For example, the fact some of the cases were several years old. She also tried to make it sound like health insurance and health insurance companies are the greatest thing in the world. The problem is that employers don't buy enough coverage for their employees, hence you have examples of people being left with billable items uncovered.

Anderson was a bit of a softy on her when he challenged some of her statements. Her solution made it sound like, "by more insurance, we'll be happy to pay for your healthcare costs". :laugh:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

There is a proverb I've heard from all over Africa. It says: "If he is a Nigerian, then he must be lying." Whereas that has not been my experience with Nigerians, I think it is quite applicable to Michael Moore.

If it is from Michael Moore, then it is surely a lie.

Guest Biblicist

Considering the way he slants things and edits interviews, how can anything Michael Moore produces be taken literally? If anything it's nothing more than a work of fiction like any other movie.

Now, mind you, I am no fan of the insurance and medical communities, however, Michael Moore is the last person I would ask an opinion of about anything.

I don't think I'd watch it, but if I did, I would make sure to bring my ton of salt! :emot-hug:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I haven't seen it yet, but the health system and insurance companies are an easy target.

I saw Anderson Cooper the other night looking into the truth of the claims made by the film. And one point, he brought a person speaking on behalf of the insurance industry. She tried to explain the misrepresentation she felt existed in some of the case studies. For example, the fact some of the cases were several years old. She also tried to make it sound like health insurance and health insurance companies are the greatest thing in the world. The problem is that employers don't buy enough coverage for their employees, hence you have examples of people being left with billable items uncovered.

Anderson was a bit of a softy on her when he challenged some of her statements. Her solution made it sound like, "by more insurance, we'll be happy to pay for your healthcare costs". :emot-hug:

I know tht the health care system and insurance industry, along with the pharmacutical companies, have conspired to rip us off of as much money as possible, but it's also true that, and I've said this before on this board, any time a liberal starts talking about health care, it's time to run for your wallet.

The best solution is for the government to butt out.

I haven't see the movie. Why would i want to make a liar like Michael Moore richer?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

There is one disturbing thought..the country is not being run by locally elected representatives but by well financed lobbyists.

They make it look like your representatives can't think for themselves.

If the country wants truly representative government then ban the lobbyists.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Considering the way he slants things and edits interviews, how can anything Michael Moore produces be taken literally? If anything it's nothing more than a work of fiction like any other movie.

Now, mind you, I am no fan of the insurance and medical communities, however, Michael Moore is the last person I would ask an opinion of about anything.

I don't think I'd watch it, but if I did, I would make sure to bring my ton of salt! ;)

Shalom Bib,

AMEN and AMEN!! Can any truth come from a liar?

I wouldn't and don't trust anything Michael Moore says or presents. He is good at perverting the truth to support his own viewpoint.

It's called YELLOW JOUNALISM:

* Yellow journalism is a term given to any widespread tendencies or practices within media organizations which are detrimental to, or substandard from the point of view of, journalistic integrity. "Yellow journalism" may for example refer to sensationalized news reporting that bears only a superficial resemblance to journalism. Journalistic professionalism, as now understood, is the supposed antidote. Instead of "yellow journalism," media bias is a commonly-used misnomer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

While I intensely dislike the way medical/insurance is handled in this country, I wouldn't add one penny to Michael Moore's pocket. I'm with Vickilynn, can any truth come from a liar????