• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/1982

Read what you freind read, you will taste for yourself how sweet is the Lord's love towards us..... :24:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

go to my posting about a month ago it was hit manytimes by those who believe its still alive and those that dont. But understand this it doesnt get you into heaven its a gift and if it is used the wrong way "i am better than you are because i can speak in tounges" then it is missed used. It is better to have the gift of love of Jesus than all the other gifts. If you are given this gift og tounge only usde it to glorify Jesus if you speak out loud and if there is someone to interepet it other wise it does no one any good.

IHMS Dennis

:20: Exactly what I was going to say. See, Paul teaches us in Corinthians that if you are using the gifts but you don't have love then you're missing the whole point and so it has no value. Also, we need to follow every rule Paul put into place there in Corinthians. He speaks very strongly about how tongues is absolutely worthless if we can't understand it and/or it can't be interrpreted. I went to a thing just the other day for 7/7/07 where a few different ppl had randomly spoke in tongues. To me its seems like they are just trying to show off their gift because nothing was interrpreted. Another thing is Paul says that their should be a clear distinction to the words, that there are many tongues in the world but none of them is withought meaning. So, from that I understand that it needs to be a real language like chinese or german or spanish, etc. I haven't seen much to support that there is a other type of language, a language that is of the heavens. If anyone can hit me up with some verses to support this and a few ideas behind it that would be great. Another thing that happened at this event for 7/7/07 which I didnt quite agree with was a certain thing someone was prophecying. I live in the Dominican Republic and the man was saying he recieved a prophecy that God said He would cleanse the island, that the island would recieve a blessing. When he said this I kept thinking of the scripture that says that the prophets would say that their will be peace and good things but do not believe it. I'm not sure where that verse is but it just kinda hit me but I'm not saying its not possible for that prophecy to come true. We just need to be very careful and not just accept someone to be a prophet withought first testing them. Sorry I've gotten a bit sidetracked but anyway my main point was that the gifts are good, ya, but don't use them improperly or withought love. If theres no love then thats a whole other issue. But anyway I would suggest reading corinthians chapters 12-14 to give you a good scriptural basis for the gifts and know that if their is anything in that booklet outside of what we are taught in the Bible then I wouldnt accept it. Remember 2 timothy 3:16-17 which says "All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete thoroughly equipped for every good work." Amen. God bless. Your brother in Christ, matthew

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I've seen people speak in tongues and sing in tongues. Can someone write in tongues? Can they not write down what they are saying so as to edify the rest of us who aren't gifted with this gift?

I have never seen anyone who wrote in tongues. Maybe I've missed it, but I know I've never seen it. :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Scriptures dictate how we are to see and experience the gift of tongues. If said sign gift is still extant today, it is to be practiced within the realm of biblical mandate and instruction. The point of the gift is the edification of the body and it is supposed to be experienced right along side the gift of interpretation. All other experiences not mentioned in scripture are unbiblical and therefore should not be practiced or endorsed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

if you don't believe in speaking in tongues, does it really matter to you if someone else does? and if you believe speaking in tongues is your gift, does it really matter to you if someone disbelieves this is your gift?

what's the point? where is the purpose of argument?

do what you do. let others do what they do. seems pretty simple to me. but then, i tend to have a simple brain :wub:

indubitably :emot-hug:

if you don't believe in speaking in tongues, does it really matter to you if someone else does? and if you believe speaking in tongues is your gift, does it really matter to you if someone disbelieves this is your gift?

what's the point? where is the purpose of argument?

do what you do. let others do what they do. seems pretty simple to me. but then, i tend to have a simple brain :emot-hug:

There is a big problem called the practice of false doctrines wether it be a physical act or just a thought towards a subject. Paul warns us strongly about keeping the right doctrine.

Heres an example where a gift of the holy spirit can do harm. There is a friend of mine in my church who is very dedicated to the Lord. Now, it turns out that one night he went to a different worship where a woman had been prophesying and he told me this woman told him all sorts of things about him which she couldn't have know and also that he would raise people from the dead! Well, it turns out that a friend of his died a few weeks later and he truly believed that he was meant to bring her back. So, before she was placed into the ground he told them to stop because she was going to rise. He yelled out in the name of Jesus arise and obviously nothing happened but he persisted. The family was heart broken and angry at the same time. Plus, I could tell that his faith was shaken and confidence broken. This is a true story!

These are reasons why these type of things matter. The gifts of the spirit were not toys back then and are not now so we must be careful to first test those who claim to have them. I hope this helps. Your brother in Christ, matthew

matthew, i have sympathy for your friend. i really do. but the fact of the matter is that you have very little chance of changing someone's mind about speaking in tongues--no matter what your belief! give me verses, i'll give you them right back. so why argue? is that foolish arguing the bible talks about?

First of all, I'm not saying that tongue speaking doesn't exist. I'm not sure if thats what you might have thought but I do see it to be possible but I haven't seen the real form of tongues(a earthly language) which is described throughout all of the Bible. You are right in the sense that if I am speaking to someone who already speaks this false form of tongues then they probably will not want to listen to a word I have to say or they might say something like ask my pastor about it. Lol. We as christians need to investigate things so that we know why we do or do not do them.

But what exactly are you saying? Are you saying we should just sit back and allow people to not only believe in false doctrine but also to teach it to others? That we shouldn't try to correct them gently like the Bible says to do? I'm sorry but I don't care how many people may be against me I will defend the doctrine of Christ to the end. I will not allow people to change or manipulate it. I do see a point and I'm not looking to please the world with some sort of humanistic type view. The fact is as christians we should have the highest standards for testing ideas or doctrines, looking at all the biblical evidence, and then making the best decision on what to support. I'll show you verses plus verses that back up those verses plus a logical and reasonable answer in order to come out with the best possible answer. As always remain strong in the Lord and God bless! your brother in christ, matthew

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Scriptures dictate how we are to see and experience the gift of tongues. If said sign gift is still extant today, it is to be practiced within the realm of biblical mandate and instruction. The point of the gift is the edification of the body and it is supposed to be experienced right along side the gift of interpretation. All other experiences not mentioned in scripture are unbiblical and therefore should not be practiced or endorsed.

Not all LadyRaven. Don't forget about the personal prayer tongue which happens between a person and God. You are correct about the rest. prophecying should only done according to biblical guidlines.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  278
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/22/1962

Actually the gift of tongues has a dual dynamic. Public use of the gift is meant to be a benefit to the body and should be accompanied by the gift of interpretation. For private use however the gift of tongues is meant to build up, edify one's self. That's why Paul said that "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all."

By the way, a friend of ours (18 years old) ministering on a short-term mission trip in Mexico emailed us that she was praying for a young man after the service. Her interpreter was distracted and did not interpret as she prayed in English, but when she finished, the young man thanked her for such a beautiful and meaningful prayer. She asked if he understood English, but he said "No, but you were speaking in Spanish." It was a wonderful night for them all. This reminds me of what happened on the day of Pentecost, when Peter spoke (probably in his tongue Aramaic) everyone heard simultaneously in their mother-tongues. Too Cool! God is still doing all He can through willing vessels to communicate His love for us!!!

Blessings,

Sherman

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  705
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/23/1958

Actually the gift of tongues has a dual dynamic. Public use of the gift is meant to be a benefit to the body and should be accompanied by the gift of interpretation. For private use however the gift of tongues is meant to build up, edify one's self. That's why Paul said that "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all."

By the way, a friend of ours (18 years old) ministering on a short-term mission trip in Mexico emailed us that she was praying for a young man after the service. Her interpreter was distracted and did not interpret as she prayed in English, but when she finished, the young man thanked her for such a beautiful and meaningful prayer. She asked if he understood English, but he said "No, but you were speaking in Spanish." It was a wonderful night for them all. This reminds me of what happened on the day of Pentecost, when Peter spoke (probably in his tongue Aramaic) everyone heard simultaneously in their mother-tongues. Too Cool! God is still doing all He can through willing vessels to communicate His love for us!!!

Blessings,

Sherman

I agree about the dual dynamic.

Carol R :)